SASS Wire Forum

Help for us greenhorns

mtn man

Something that could be extremely helpful to greenhorns like me,  is if some of the more well ridden hands could make a list or a cross-reference of firearms with the names used by different distributors, since Uberti and Pietta supply Cimmaron, Taylors', E.M.F and possibly others. It would be helpful when walking into a shop and fondling irons to know what the equivalent would be.

37 minutes ago, mtn man said:

Something that could be extremely helpful to greenhorns like me,  is if some of the more well ridden hands could make a list or a cross-reference of firearms with the names used by different distributors, since Uberti and Pietta supply Cimmaron, Taylors', E.M.F and possibly others. It would be helpful when walking into a shop and fondling irons to know what the equivalent would be.

I can't think of any others except Ruger and Stoeger (which is Uberti USA) You can always buy Colts and really be cool!!

Hmm..previous post by Marshall Chance is a good one! Forgot about Navy Arms and USFA, which is not being made anymore.

Yes, go with Ruger.  (I own stock in the company). LOL

27 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

See, that was easy.

I'd love for it to be that simple, but they don't fit my small hands.

And I don't want .32's because I want to shoot classic cowboy  when the time comes.

11 minutes ago, mtn man said:

And I don't want .32's because I want to shoot classic cowboy  when the time comes.

You can get thinner grips for Rugers.

There is also a pair of Cimarron 44-40s all slicked up and ready to go in the classifieds. Uberti makes them and Cimarron is the importer. They are legal for Classic Cowboy and when you cross over to the Dark Side 44-40 beats 45 colt hands down.

12 minutes ago, mtn man said:

Then your best bet is to get to some shoots and do live-fire checks.

Grips are easy to change out.......

OLG

Nothing beats .36 caliber 1851 Navies, regardless of who makes 'em... legal in ALL categories and off the charts in style points!

IMG_0231.jpg

12 minutes ago, mtn man said:

they don't fit my small hands.

Small hands you say? Check out any of the 1858 remington reproductions. not much variation in the feel from maker to maker. People with big hands tend to complain about the trigger guard bashing up their fingers when shooting. I have smaller to average size hands and they feel more natural to me than a colt plow handle. A slightly higher grip also does away with the finger bashing problem but most people are more familiar with how to hold a colt style handle as they are more readily available. 

3 minutes ago, mtn man said:

I have trouble reaching the hammer with my thumb, even with a Single Six. Maybe my thumbs are just short.

Have you tried Rugers with the Super Blackhawk or Montado hammers in them? A whole lot easier to reach than stock Ruger hammers.

Also try a Bisley style grip in both Ruger and Uberti. They may work better for you.

I visited a match at the Wartrace Regulators. Actually, the match was cancelled due to drizzling rain and 45°. There were 3 that were practicing, Dodge City Dixie, Reno Mustang and Randy Saint Eagle. And before I knew it, they were strapping leather on me, put irons in my hands and coaching all at the same time. And I'll never forget it.

10 minutes ago, mtn man said:

I visited a match at the Wartrace Regulators. Actually, the match was cancelled due to drizzling rain and 45°. There were 3 that were practicing, Dodge City Dixie, Reno Mustang and Randy Saint Eagle. And before I knew it, they were strapping leather on me, put irons in my hands and coaching all at the same time. And I'll never forget it.

That's a 1st class group of instructors.  They won't steer you wrong.   Wartrace is a good place to shoot too.

1 hour ago, mtn man said:

Maybe I'll run into you at a match soon. I'll let you try my 44 Russian Open Tops. I have small hands too but no trouble with those, they have a shorter stroke too than Rugers and/or Colts.

3 hours ago, Griff said:

IMG_0231.jpg

That's a handsome setup right there. I dream about Slim Jim holsters, the longer the better, but I'm a stubby sonofagun. The bottom of the holsters might get caught in the top of my boots.

Sigh...

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Go with Ruger, and the 'problem' is solved..........:lol:

The man asked for help identifying the names of some of the Italian made revolvers, and a smug answer to go with Ruger does not help him.

For a long time, the name Cattleman was a name that was given to many of the Single Action Army replica revolvers imported from Uberti. I bought this Cattleman used a long time ago. These days Uberti has changed over to the retractable firing pin on the Cattleman, but the name endures.

cattleman%2003_zpsjglfbwc6.jpg

Uberti uses the name Outlaw for their reproductions of the 1875 Remington revolver. They use the name Police for the 1890 Remington because many of these were issued to the Indian Police on some of the reservations.

I am not up on the names currently being given to the revolvers manufactured by Pietta. I suggest you call the importers directly and ask them your question. I would call Cimarron, Taylors, and Uberti. Contact numbers are listed on their web pages.

MTN MAN,

I feel your pain, so to speak.   I also have small hands and here is how I solved my concern.  And I might add that

I shoot GF category.

I took a set of the smaller Single Six frames and put them on the Original size Vaquero in .45 Colt.   I also

had the Super Blackhawk hammers installed.   Works perfect for me.

I also have a set of the .32 Rugers set up the same way..... shorter grips with SBH hammers.

Its possible to take the full size Vaquero frame and cut off about 1/4" of the grip frame steel (at the bottom)

and resize your grip panels appropriately and you will have the same effect.

And remember, grip panels can have a BIG effect in how the gun feels and handles in YOUR hand(s).

I prefer a thinner grip panel.    Sounds like something you should also consider.

I will probably shoot Wartrace a couple times this summer.   Maybe we will cross trails.

..........Widder

mtn man  Come back to Wartrace for our midmonth match the third Sat and you will have access to a lot more cowboys, you just got to see three of our best.

Imis  

9 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

The man asked for help identifying the names of some of the Italian made revolvers, and a smug answer to go with Ruger does not help him.

Lighten up, Francis-It was a joke :rolleyes:

OLG

To expand on Driftwood's post:

Piettas imported by EMF are called Great Western II, and from Cimarron are Frontiers.  Both those have firing pin on hammer, standard Colt action.  EMF has models called Alchamista with Army grips (larger).   Piettas imported by others including some big box stores will have a transfer bar.

Uberti's imported by Stoeger, Dixie, Taylors will be called the Cattleman.  From Cimarron it is called Model P (some cosmetic differences).  The old model (black powder frame) from Cimarron still has the standard Colt action;  their Pre-War model and the Cattlemen from other distributors all have the new retractable firing pin.

Cimarron's Ubertis set up for competition are called Evil Roys and Thunderstorms.  From Taylors they are called Smokewagons and Running Irons.  Those models can have lower/wider hammers.  Generic Uberti (Stoeger imported) Uberti competition models have other names which I'm not up on.  They seem to come and go.

These are all varieties of SAA reproductions.  There are other grip styles and such available as well.

Archived