SASS Wire Forum

Question: High Mortality Parts SASS 1873 EMF?

I was fortunate to find and purchase a SASS 1873 by EMF, in .45 Colt, carbine version.

I've shot it now for a couple of years, but I'm starting to wonder what might let go on it.

I received some good advice, years ago, on my Uberti 1866 Yellow Boy, regarding the loading gate failures and when mine went, I had a spare ready to drop in, right at the match!!

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts regarding things that might let go on the EMF?

Any thoughts out there, and where the spare parts might come from?

Also, where can I find a short stroke kit for the Uberti 1866 rifle in .45 Colt?

Thanks

C.L.Kid

Just remember, it is not an EMF, it is an Uberti. So any Uberti parts, including the Short stroke kit, will work.

EMF, Taylor's, Cimarron are just distributors of Uberti Model 1873s, so if you need spare parts, VTI Gun Parts is a good place to stock your spare parts kit.  

Firing Pin and Extractor are the only parts I've had break.

Things I would recommend keeping in your "take it with you" parts box in rough order of need:

Extractor.

Spare hammer spring already tuned and ready.

Firing pin.

Lower bolt tab .. if gun has the new type bolt with replacable tab.

Loading gate.

Trigger sear.

Extractor is the only part I have ever replaced on a 73

16 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I was fortunate to find and purchase a SASS 1873 by EMF, in .45 Colt, carbine version.

I've shot it now for a couple of years, but I'm starting to wonder what might let go on it.

I received some good advice, years ago, on my Uberti 1866 Yellow Boy, regarding the loading gate failures and when mine went, I had a spare ready to drop in, right at the match!!

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts regarding things that might let go on the EMF?

Any thoughts out there, and where the spare parts might come from?

Also, where can I find a short stroke kit for the Uberti 1866 rifle in .45 Colt?

Thanks

C.L.Kid

I have a short stroke kit from Pioneer Gunworks with the large caliber lightweight carrier and lifter if you’re interested. I bought it here on the Calssifieds a couple of weeks ago. PM on its way.

Newer Uberti 1873s rifles have an upgraded bolt assembly.  The bottom bolt tab is now replaceable.  Both my wife's rifle and mine have had broken bottom bolt tabs.

Until recently, all Uberti 1873s have had a lower bolt tab that was part of the bolt.  If I was putting together a parts supply for 1873, a new bolt assembly would be a must.  A bolt assembly is a little over a $100 and is available from VTI, Cimarron, or Taylors.  Please be aware that these are not necessarily drop-in parts.   They need to be fitted and timed by a knowledgeable cowboy gunsmith, or someone who really understands these rifles. 

Thanks Pards.

I found a lot of the parts on VTI, but I'm having trouble finding catalogue numbers for the Trigger Sear and the Lower bolt tab suggested by Fast Enuff 

Yul, special thanks to you Pard.

Archived