Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wapaloosie73

The Wild - Ballahack Airsoft

Recommended Posts

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I predicted with Red Dead Redemption 2 coming out. Cowboy Airsoft is picking up steam.

 

Ballahack Airsoft is the largest airsoft field in the US. 

 

His last game had 800 people attending.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped watching after those two jackasses kept pointing their guns at everyone and everything in sight.  If they did that in any event that I was attending I'd slap them to sleep and leave.  Real bad habit to get into and should never be tolerated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I stopped watching after those two jackasses kept pointing their guns at everyone and everything in sight.  If they did that in any event that I was attending I'd slap them to sleep and leave.  Real bad habit to get into and should never be tolerated.

 

You understand what airsoft is right? The whole object of the game is to shoot people with a 6mm plastic bb.

 

In a safety area with no eye protection? Yes inexcusable.

 

In the game area? You are fair game. And if you put your hands on another airsoft player during a game? The cops will get called and you will go to jail for assault. I’ve watched it happen.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent too many years drawing a government paycheck to...if the need occurred, and it did a time or two...to face real guns with real ammunition to ever be comfortable with this nonsense or so-called "re-enactment where people are shooting anything my direction, including plastic BBs or blanks, or rubber bands.

 

Go to jail?  Maybe in Washington.  It's changed a lot since I lived there, but in Arizona I'll bet I wouldn't spend a night in jail unless I did some serious damage to the guy.

 

I'l tell you what: you go to your church and I'll go to mine.  

 

BTW, I was at a gun show in Pomona twenty years ago when a group of Vietnamese kids were picking up guns and pointing them at people.  I told one kid to stop it on two different aisles and when he did it a third time I grabbed the carbine and drove the butt into his face.  Threats were exchanged, cops were called and I walked out under my own power.  The kid I hit didn't.  I heard nothing more about it after the reports were taken.

 

Of course California has gone to hell since then and I might go to jail.  That's why I'll probably never go visit California again.....or many other places I lived over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I spent too many years drawing a government paycheck to...if the need occurred, and it did a time or two...to face real guns with real ammunition to ever be comfortable with this nonsense or so-called "re-enactment where people are shooting anything my direction, including plastic BBs or blanks, or rubber bands.

 

Go to jail?  Maybe in Washington.  It's changed a lot since I lived there, but in Arizona I'll bet I wouldn't spend a night in jail unless I did some serious damage to the guy.

 

I'l tell you what: you go to your church and I'll go to mine.  

 

BTW, I was at a gun show in Pomona twenty years ago when a group of Vietnamese kids were picking up guns and pointing them at people.  I told one kid to stop it on two different aisles and when he did it a third time I grabbed the carbine and drove the butt into his face.  Threats were exchanged, cops were called and I walked out under my own power.  The kid I hit didn't.  I heard nothing more about it after the reports were taken.

 

Of course California has gone to hell since then and I might go to jail.  That's why I'll probably never go visit California again.....or many other places I lived over the years.

 

First of all, THANK YOU for your service. I understand completely why your done being shot at. But some of the best airsofters in the community are vets. It’s ok either way.

 

Let me explain a few things about airsoft. It’s every bit as organized as any target shoot.

 

1) You show up to the field and you pay your money and you sign a field waiver.

 

2) You go get your guns chrono’d and make sure they are within legal limits.

 

3) Your eye protection is checked to make sure it is ANSI 87.1 rated.

 

4) Your ammo is checked. No metal or glass bbs are allowed. Only plastic,

 

5) A safety brief is conducted. Things like blind firing, minimum engagement distances are addressed, field boundaries are observed, no taking off eye pro in the game area, no fighting, etc.

 

6) The refs on the field make sure that the rules are being followed and everyone is safe.

 

And lastly? Airsofters are NOT pointing guns at each other. They are pointing things that look like guns at each other that are powered by gas, spring or battery. I do not condone pointing real firearms at people. Ever.

 

And my “church” is just having fun safely. I love cowboy action shooting and airsoft. And I think it’s super cool that airsoft is now paying homage to the Wild West.

 

And I bet more than a few cowboy action shooters have thought abought having an old west duel with their buddies, but had no truly safe way to do that, until now. Wear the proper safety gear and it’s as safe as paintball or basketball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

 

First of all, THANK YOU for your service. I understand completely why your done being shot at. But some of the best airsofters in the community are vets. It’s ok either way.

 

Let me explain a few things about airsoft. It’s every bit as organized as any target shoot.

 

1) You show up to the field and you pay your money and you sign a field waiver.

 

2) You go get your guns chrono’d and make sure they are within legal limits.

 

3) Your eye protection is checked to make sure it is ANSI 87.1 rated.

 

4) Your ammo is checked. No metal or glass bbs are allowed. Only plastic,

 

5) A safety brief is conducted. Things like blind firing, minimum engagement distances are addressed, field boundaries are observed, no taking off eye pro in the game area, no fighting, etc.

 

6) The refs on the field make sure that the rules are being followed and everyone is safe.

 

And lastly? Airsofters are NOT pointing guns at each other. They are pointing things that look like guns at each other that are powered by gas, spring or battery. I do not condone pointing real firearms at people. Ever.

 

And my “church” is just having fun safely. I love cowboy action shooting and airsoft. And I think it’s super cool that airsoft is now paying homage to the Wild West.

 

And I bet more than a few cowboy action shooters have thought abought having an old west duel with their buddies, but had no truly safe way to do that, until now. Wear the proper safety gear and it’s as safe as paintball or basketball.

Thanks for the tutorial, but I'll still pass on that particular activity.  It's like my favorite ice cream is vanilla (doctored up before serving) and yours is something else...or maybe you don't like ice cream at all.

 

That's what America is all about, doing it your way nd not pushing your will on others.  I just wish more politicians understood that.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Thanks for the tutorial, but I'll still pass on that particular activity.  It's like my favorite ice cream is vanilla (doctored up before serving) and yours is something else...or maybe you don't like ice cream at all.

 

That's what America is all about, doing it your way nd not pushing your will on others.  I just wish more politicians understood that.

 

 

 

Ditto. It appears most of the participants are pretty young. It’s understandable why guys like you and me are not enamored of this sport. But as you say, whatever floats their boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too don’t like anything pointed my way correctly or incorrectly.  In the recent years I have taken many culinary classes. There is a right way to move with a knife. I watch everybody while creating my (hopefully) masterpiece. If I have a chance to choose my work station I select one where I am on the end and I only have to worry about one side.  If I go to the class with someone, often my daughter, sometimes a friend,  I will put her on the end, she is safe, and I only have to keep an eye on my other side.

 

i have had more than 1000 hours of such hands on classes, put out fires (oh that’s a story by itself), etc.

 

Soooo, I had one class, cake decorating it was.  One of the other students owned a restaurant, Thai, I think.  She needed something and hastily went to get it in the pantry with knife in hand, in the stabbing position and all I could think was that in her kitchen, “When mama san moves get out of her way”

 

———-

by the way, the proper way to move with a knife is in your hand blade down and to the back.

the proper way to pass a knife to someone else is to set it down and let them pick it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

 

———-

by the way, the proper way to move with a knife is in your hand blade down and to the back.

the proper way to pass a knife to someone else is to set it down and let them pick it up.

 

After 12 years of working in packing houses and processing plants, I too watch knife handling closely.  Your points are well taken.  No pun intended!

 

My ROTC instructor, MSgt. Holder, once demonstrated how to hold a knife in combat; if right-handed, hold the knife next to your right leg with cutting edge up, with your left side towards your opponent.  Block with your left arm, sweep upwards with the knife when your opponent is vulnerable.  His philosophy was, it’s not a sword for fencing.

 

So if I must move with knife in hand, (I don’t wear a scabbard in the kitchen) I hold it point down, with my hand in continuous contact with my hip.  I can’t fall on it, and I can’t stick anyone else.  It reminds me of MSgt Holder every time I do it!  Who knew cooking and combat had something in common!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Ditto. It appears most of the participants are pretty young. It’s understandable why guys like you and me are not enamored of this sport. But as you say, whatever floats their boat.

 

That’s not true at all. It’s guys like you that MAKE the sport.

 

http://www.oplionclaws.com/miller.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

 

After 12 years of working in packing houses and processing plants, I too watch knife handling closely.  Your points are well taken.  No pun intended!

 

My ROTC instructor, MSgt. Holder, once demonstrated how to hold a knife in combat; if right-handed, hold the knife next to your right leg with cutting edge up, with your left side towards your opponent.  Block with your left arm, sweep upwards with the knife when your opponent is vulnerable.  His philosophy was, it’s not a sword for fencing.

 

So if I must move with knife in hand, (I don’t wear a scabbard in the kitchen) I hold it point down, with my hand in continuous contact with my hip.  I can’t fall on it, and I can’t stick anyone else.  It reminds me of MSgt Holder every time I do it!  Who knew cooking and combat had something in common!!

I disagree with your ROTC instructor. But I had different training. Perhaps more specialized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I disagree with your ROTC instructor. But I had different training. Perhaps more specialized.

 

I yield to your experience, and I’m grateful that I never had to test it one way or the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27900264-F2E9-485A-A370-54DA8D2E1136.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cowboy Airsoft is fun but....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

 

17 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I yield to your experience, and I’m grateful that I never had to test it one way or the other.

Me too.

I did become very skilled at opening LRRP ration bags with my knife though. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

 

After 12 years of working in packing houses and processing plants, I too watch knife handling closely.  Your points are well taken.  No pun intended!

 

My ROTC instructor, MSgt. Holder, once demonstrated how to hold a knife in combat; if right-handed, hold the knife next to your right leg with cutting edge up, with your left side towards your opponent.  Block with your left arm, sweep upwards with the knife when your opponent is vulnerable.  His philosophy was, it’s not a sword for fencing.

 

So if I must move with knife in hand, (I don’t wear a scabbard in the kitchen) I hold it point down, with my hand in continuous contact with my hip.  I can’t fall on it, and I can’t stick anyone else.  It reminds me of MSgt Holder every time I do it!  Who knew cooking and combat had something in common!!

A friend of mine knocked his expensive butcher knife off the counter and stuck his foot out to prevent it possibly breaking on the floor. It worked. It did not break.

He went to the emergency room. He used to spend a lot of time there. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice revolver!

 

Looks like people having fun.

 

Reminds me of playing Cowboys and Indians as a kid.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good god-I hope none of them own a rear firearm:excl::huh:

And that 'cowboy' loads 6...........:rolleyes:

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Nice revolver!

 

Looks like people having fun.

 

Reminds me of playing Cowboys and Indians as a kid.:D

 

It’s a lot like that. Except with the organizational skills of adults. The Wild West genre was treated as a spoof for the longest time. Something airsofters did when they were bored with normal games. (War on Terror, Cold War, Nam, WW2) But it’s picking up steam now. Companies are building real old west airsoft guns, and things are becoming more serious from a reenactor standpoint.

 

Ballahack Airsoft being one of the largest fields in the USA and them picking it up is a big deal. It says Cowboy or Wild West Airsoft (as they like to call it) has arrived. Which is exciting for me because It’s a melding of two things I love. The whole concept is very deep and we have only begun to scratch the surface.

 

I have an old tower on the ranch we used in Vietnam reenacting that I’m going to turn into a old west fort. I’ve got plenty of wood on the ranch we can use to build the stockade. It could be easily used for Cowboy action shooting as well. But I do enjoy the 3 dimensions of airsoft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Good god-I hope none of them own a rear firearm:excl::huh:

And that 'cowboy' loads 6...........:rolleyes:

OLG

 

Elmer Keith loaded six.... It’s my understanding they used a hammer strap to keep the spur from reaching the primer. It was also common practice in some parts of the country. I just ordered his book “six guns”, so I will report back.

 

Of course in airsoft part of the mayhem is the fog of war. In the chapter one video I posted, the swamp sniper gets shot in the cheek by one of his own guys trying to stop a bank robbery. Loading six is rather mundane.

 

Most airsofters own real firearms but they also know the difference between the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest video.

 

Swamp sniper took a bad one on the cheek. His posse finally gets an achievement award by doing a gold run for the German banker. An Indian chief skull has been stolen from the town cemetery and the Indian tribe ain’t happy about it. He promises in the next chapters the action really starts heating up.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:33 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A friend of mine knocked his expensive butcher knife off the counter and stuck his foot out to prevent it possibly breaking on the floor. It worked. It did not break.

He went to the emergency room. He used to spend a lot of time there. :D

 

Once I fumbled a crosscut saw and tried to catch it. Dumb move. I didn't need stitches but yes it hurt like hell. I still have the slight scar on my hand to prove it.

 

As for Airsoft, I don't know what's the big deal. At the rate CAS loads are constantly being neutered pretty soon Airsoft will actually be more dangerous. :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

 

Once I fumbled a crosscut saw and tried to catch it. Dumb move. I didn't need stitches but yes it hurt like hell. I still have the slight scar on my hand to prove it.

 

As for Airsoft, I don't know what's the big deal. At the rate CAS loads are constantly being neutered pretty soon Airsoft will actually be more dangerous. :huh:

 

And targets don’t shoot back! I love both sports tho...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.