SASS Wire Forum

I wonder why this annoys me?

Alpo

"In 1917 Smith & Wesson redesigned their large caliber 44 frame revolver to take 45 ACP ammunition. This gun became the Model 1917 Smith & Wesson revolver. 20 years later they brought this gun back, made a small run of them, and sold them to Brazil. This is the Model 1937 Brazilian.

On another board someone is saying how he had needed a 1917 revolver, and now had found a 1917 Brazilian at an auction site and bought it, and he is just so happy. Many people responded to his post telling about how happy they were with their 1917 Brazilians.

There is no such thing as a 1917 Brazilian. It is a 1937 Brazilian. And calling it a 1917 Brazilian annoys the living hell out of me."

This is incorrect. When S&W's contract with the US Army was cancelled, the company continued to build 1917 revolvers, up until 1946. In 1937, the Brazilian government placed an order for 25,000 1917 revolvers. These 1917s received a Brazilian crest on the side plate, with "1937" stamped below the crest. Delivery was made in 1938. The Brazilian 1917s had serial numbers within the regular 1917 production SNs. These revolvers were made on new commercial frames, with square notch rear sights, unlike the "dimple" rear sight that was used on the WW I made 1917s.

Post WW II, S&W found a number of WW I vintage 1917 frames and completed them and sold them to the Brazilians in 1946.

I have a commercial 1917 that was probably built in the early 1930s, but wasn't shipped until 1936, a good 5-6 years later than others that were in the same SN range.

The information about the 1917 can be found in The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson written by Jim Supica and Rick Nahas.

26 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

No, but I told some moron chimney sweep that he was violating federal law by putting something in my mailbox.

Yep. Just about the same! LOL

22 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If the gun has the designation “M-whatever” that is one thing. Creating a designation because your are lazy, obnoxious or immature is completely another.

To me it’s like giving something a nickname that only you know but yet you use it publicly in the hopes others will too.

It’s like “trending”....and another thing!....:P

TRENDING, now that is a fingernail on the blackboard. Some moron on the telly  is trying to tell me that socks are trendy. 

Boy howdy, did I miss out there. 

7 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

TRENDING, now that is a fingernail on the blackboard. Some moron on the telly  is trying to tell me that socks are trendy. 

Boy howdy, did I miss out there. 

Verbs as nouns...grrrrr

Let's not forget the early Model 94 Winchesters were first chambered in 30 WCF; not 30-30.  Hoss C.

21 hours ago, Hoss Carpenter said:

Let's not forget the early Model 94 Winchesters were first chambered in 30 WCF; not 30-30.  Hoss C.

Yeah, but you can't expect Marlin to put Winchester's name on Marlin .30-30's.

That's how the whole WCF family ended up getting renamed by Winchester's competitors .  Colt was making pistols chambered for the popular .44WCF but weren't going to put Winchester anywhere on their guns.

Didn't Merwin and Hulbert invent the .44M&H- which happened to be identical to the .44WCF, too?

Maybe your COD!!   That"s OCD for those have to have the letters alphabetically correct     GW

On 4/7/2019 at 8:15 PM, Alpo said:

In SIXGUNS, BY KEITH, there's a bit about a barber teaching him to shoot, at night after the shop closed. He said "We would use the old, SHORT 45 Colt loads that Remington used to make, with the hollow base bullets. They were squib loads, with just enough power to drive the bullet completely down into the parquet floor."

If Elmer says there were short 45 Colts, there

were short 45 Colts.

And then there's this.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Thank you!  I was holding off saying anything, because yeah there was a .45 Colt "Short", the 45 Colt Government.  And, I imagine most folks didn't step up to the counter and say, "Gimme a box of them 45 Colt Guvmints".  They probably asked for "short" or "long", 30 grainers or 40 grainers, Mouse Fart loads or Wart Hog loads. 

57 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Didn't Merwin and Hulbert invent the .44M&H- which happened to be identical to the .44WCF, too?

I've seen a picture of a M&H, and the caliber marking on the barrel says WINCHESTER RIFLE CARTRIDGE.

Funny how some companies are like that. Marlin wouldn't mark their guns Winchester. Neither would Colt. When Colt chambered guns in 38 S&W and 32 S&W Long, they called 'em 38 Colt New Police and 32 Colt New Police.

I've been told (but can't verify this of my own experience, as I don't mess with plastic guns) that Glock does not chamber guns in 45 ACP or 40 S&W. They chamber guns in 45 Auto snd 40 Auto.

I have three Smith and Wessons chambered in 32/20. One's barrel says 32/20 CTG, one's says 32 WCF CTG, and the third's says 32 Winchester CTG.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:20 PM, Wapaloosie73 said:

What’s the difference between a clip and a magazine anyways!?

What irritates me about that one is how some people go crazy about it when 90% of the time the thing they're talking about can properly be called a clip or a magazine.  If you've got extras out of the gun on your belt for quick reloads, they're clips.  They keep the bullets together for easy reloads.  They're magazines too if they feed ammo into the chamber when in the gun. 

Archived