SASS Wire Forum

I wonder why this annoys me?

Alpo

In the early 20th century Colt made a large semi automatic pistol. The Model 1911. In the late twenties (26? 27?) they modified it. It was no longer a 1911. It was now a 1911A1.

No one says they have 1911A1s. They all say they have 1911s. That's fine. Doesn't bother me in the least. Only one of my 1911s is actually a 1911. But I call all of them 1911s.

In 1917 Smith & Wesson redesigned their large caliber 44 frame revolver to take 45 ACP ammunition. This gun became the Model 1917 Smith & Wesson revolver. 20 years later they brought this gun back, made a small run of them, and sold them to Brazil. This is the Model 1937 Brazilian.

On another board someone is saying how he had needed a 1917 revolver, and now had found a 1917 Brazilian at an auction site and bought it, and he is just so happy. Many people responded to his post telling about how happy they were with their 1917 Brazilians.

There is no such thing as a 1917 Brazilian. It is a 1937 Brazilian. And calling it a 1917 Brazilian annoys the living hell out of me.

I wonder why that is?

Possibly.

The habit so many people seem to have now of using the letter M in place of the word Model is quite annoying.

There is no such thing as an M1911 pistol. There is no such thing as an M12 Winchester pump. There is no such thing is an M10 Smith & Wesson revolver. They are Model 1911, Model 12, and Model 10.

Getting Old and Grumpy ???

But maybe Not ,,,,, could be a lack of good coffee  .....

Their is a place to fix both ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Or at least Fit Right In ...

Jabez Cowboy

Step away from the computer, go outside and breath slowly. Up your meds a little and you'll be fine!:P

BECAUSE!!

PS:  It's sorta like the moniker .45 Long Colt.  Never was a "Long Colt."  Was and always has been .45 Colt.  Manufacturers of firearms (some) and accessories (some) have even picked up on .45LC.  Like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I think they are doing it just to piss you off.:D  It could be all part of a plot against you.

But I have a suspicious nature, so I might be misinterpreting things.

It could be that people are lazy, arrogant and ignorant.

37 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

BECAUSE!!

PS:  It's sorta like the moniker .45 Long Colt.  Never was a "Long Colt."  Was and always has been .45 Colt.  Manufacturers of firearms (some) and accessories (some) have even picked up on .45LC.  Like fingernails on a chalkboard.

The correct moniker is "45 Colt's"  It was a proprietary cartridge. 

I realize that I am being very nit picky.

Duffield

I can see consolidating a term once you have used it normally in the same sentence, paragraph or post but staring off with a consolidated term, acronym, abbreviation, etc. is annoying. It’s also lazy, selfish, obnoxious and ignorant. 

I am opinionated on this matter. It annoys me.

Now, if someone doesn’t know any better, that’s fine. We all make mistakes and errors. People need to learn. But people that know, or should know, that is a different issue.

Example:

Long Colt - nuff said

G17 instead of Glock 17

M19 instead of model 19 or even S&W 19

Remmie instead of Remington 

pistol for a revolver

bullet instead of cartridge 

the list is very long...

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Possibly.

The habit so many people seem to have now of using the letter M in place of the word Model is quite annoying.

There is no such thing as an M1911 pistol. There is no such thing as an M12 Winchester pump. There is no such thing is an M10 Smith & Wesson revolver. They are Model 1911, Model 12, and Model 10.

I suppose you're right, but I've never heard of an M16, M4, M1 or M9 being called a Model 16, Model 4, Model 1 or Model 9. Ever. :mellow:

How about at our beloved cowboy shoots, 10 PISTOL 10 rifle....it’s not a pistol it’s a revolver!!!:o

If the gun has the designation “M-whatever” that is one thing. Creating a designation because your are lazy, obnoxious or immature is completely another.

To me it’s like giving something a nickname that only you know but yet you use it publicly in the hopes others will too.

It’s like “trending”....and another thing!....:P

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

How about at our beloved cowboy shoots, 10 PISTOL 10 rifle....it’s not a pistol it’s a revolver!!!:o

So we should rename the group to Revolvereros? :P:lol::lol::lol:

Old Samuel Colt ,, was to cheap to buy a Set of "Capital Letter " Punches  ,,,,, So it was .45 colts in the Beginning...

Just Saying .......

Jabez Cowboy

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

BECAUSE!!

It was LONG when you were trying to stuff it in yer Schofield during a fight with Injuns!

Wellllll, it is longer than say, the .45 ACP, and the 1875 Schofield. 

Of course there is a gap of years betwixt 1872 .45 Colt and the 1910

.45 ACP. But one can not dismiss the 1875 .45 Schofield. 

I can understand and tolerate the differentiation by cowboys. 

1 minute ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Let’s not forget the abomination of .44-40 instead of the correct designation of ..44 WCF:)

Seamus

Well, there is that too.  But I plead guilty to that also. 

5 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I suppose you're right, but I've never heard of an M16, M4, M1 or M9 being called a Model 16, Model 4, Model 1 or Model 9. Ever. :mellow:

It's not.

There are, I believe, three M1s - rifle, carbine, submachine gun.  Two M2s, automatic carbine wnd heavyachine gun. An M3, SMG. M4, automatic carbine. M6, pilot survival gun. M9, 9mm pistol. M12, aluminum cylindered 38 revolver. M14 rifle, M16 rifle. And it seems like I heard that new uglier-than-normal SIG is an M15.

Those are all M whatever.

But there are a plethora of guns that have MODEL as part of their name. Not M - MODEL.

Winchester MODEL 1873, 1892, 1897, 12, 1890, etc. Colt MODEL 1911. Ithaca MODEL 37. Smith and Wesson MODEL 29.

Not M. MODEL.

1 hour ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Let’s not forget the abomination of .44-40 instead of the correct designation of ..44 WCF:)

Seamus

Oh, but it gets much worse with the other one not being the .40-38 or the .40 WCF. :D

40 minutes ago, Alpo said:

It's not.

There are, I believe, three M1s - rifle, carbine, submachine gun.  Two M2s, automatic carbine wnd heavyachine gun. An M3, SMG. M4, automatic carbine. M6, pilot survival gun. M9, 9mm pistol. M12, aluminum cylindered 38 revolver. M14 rifle, M16 rifle. And it seems like I heard that new uglier-than-normal SIG is an M15.

Those are all M whatever.

But there are a plethora of guns that have MODEL as part of their name. Not M - MODEL.

Winchester MODEL 1873, 1892, 1897, 12, 1890, etc. Colt MODEL 1911. Ithaca MODEL 37. Smith and Wesson MODEL 29.

Not M. MODEL.

What does the M stand for?

8 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

BECAUSE!!

I have a copy of a Colt SAA advertisement from the late 1800s that ran in Great Britain and they advertise it as ".45 US Cavalry".

At one time Colt sold their own Colt Branded ammo, The description of the ammo contained in it on the label said .45 LONG COLT, I remember seeing it in an article in one of the gun magazines I was subscribed to at the time. I've been trying to find a picture of it but have had no luck so far. The writer made the comment that if Colt can call them .45 Long Colt than that name was fine by him when used.

In SIXGUNS, BY KEITH, there's a bit about a barber teaching him to shoot, at night after the shop closed. He said "We would use the old, SHORT 45 Colt loads that Remington used to make, with the hollow base bullets. They were squib loads, with just enough power to drive the bullet completely down into the parquet floor."

If Elmer says there were short 45 Colts, there

were short 45 Colts.

And then there's this.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

You can blame the military for using M instead of Model for firearms. And hundreds of other things. :) 

0EDEE9A9-43B4-451D-8113-E9EAC56FC528.jpeg

4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

So we should rename the group to Revolvereros? :P:lol::lol::lol:

I like it! It should be REVOLVELEROS though!;)

Gee Wiz, many of the newer pistols made from late 2000's through now have dispensed with the older M designation and use a more modern letter like "G" such as the G-17, G-19, etc. They also upgraded from metal that can rust to more modern materials including various forms of plastic with rainbow colors molded into the frames. Progress marches on.

Church Key

Archived