SASS Wire Forum

Barrel reline

Randy Redman is the premier artist at 22 relining.

https://www.redmansrifling.com/relining.htm

But with Redman liners and drills easily available, most gunsmiths capable  of doing precision work can handle this locally.

Good luck, GJ

Bob.    Redman did a barrel for a friend of mine and  he was very happy with his work.        GW

19 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Different rifle, but an interesting piece by Mr Potterfield:   :)

It's nice that Larry has a shop with every conceivable toy you would ever need!

On 4/6/2019 at 11:57 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Randy Redman is the premier artist at 22 relining.

https://www.redmansrifling.com/relining.htm

But with Redman liners and drills easily available, most gunsmiths capable  of doing precision work can handle this locally.

Good luck, GJ

Had an original Winchester '92 in 32WCF relined by Redman about 3 years ago. They did a fantastic job at a very reasonable price!

Bob, which ever Smith you use and John Taylor is a premier reliner be sure to buy a TJ Enterprise liner from Mike.  Here's why ....

The difference is, Redman liners are button rifled. This is the same process as a lot of barrel maker use for after market barrels. In this case aircraft tube (4130 steel) is used and a button is pulled through it.

T.J.'s liners are hammer forged around a mandrel that has the rifling. The mandrel is about 4" long and the same aircraft tube is used, only starting with a larger size and thicker wall. The hammer forge does just what it sounds like, beats the metal down on the mandrel. This process makes a smoother rifling and in my opinion has better defined rifling. Customers say they don't lead as bad. Also it work hardens the metal a bit, come out at Rockwell 28 on the C scale which is what a lot of barrel companies are getting out of 4140 ( Douglas is still around 32).
Button rifling is quicker and the machinery is less expensive but the liners are limited to the length of machine travel. Mike says he can make a liner 10' long. This way he can cut off the length a customer orders.

My Smith has relined several of my rifles from 22LR up to 38-55, all with TJ liners.  Best relining was on a buggered out bore of a Wurfflein that is now a 38-55 and groups are MOA accurate out to 300yds

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

Bob, which ever Smith you use and John Taylor is a premier reliner be sure to buy a TJ Enterprise liner from Mike.  Here's why ....

The difference is, Redman liners are button rifled. This is the same process as a lot of barrel maker use for after market barrels. In this case aircraft tube (4130 steel) is used and a button is pulled through it.

T.J.'s liners are hammer forged around a mandrel that has the rifling. The mandrel is about 4" long and the same aircraft tube is used, only starting with a larger size and thicker wall. The hammer forge does just what it sounds like, beats the metal down on the mandrel. This process makes a smoother rifling and in my opinion has better defined rifling. Customers say they don't lead as bad. Also it work hardens the metal a bit, come out at Rockwell 28 on the C scale which is what a lot of barrel companies are getting out of 4140 ( Douglas is still around 32).
Button rifling is quicker and the machinery is less expensive but the liners are limited to the length of machine travel. Mike says he can make a liner 10' long. This way he can cut off the length a customer orders.

My Smith has relined several of my rifles from 22LR up to 38-55, all with TJ liners.  Best relining was on a buggered out bore of a Wurfflein that is now a 38-55 and groups are MOA accurate out to 300yds

JB, who is your smith who did your relining, and how can I contact TJ Enterprises?  Thinking of relining my father's old 25.20.

TJ Telephone  859-635-5560

My gunsmith only works on referrals - I'll let you know

What's your birth certificate name so if he concurs and I let Bruce know who would be calling him

On 4/6/2019 at 7:39 PM, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Who would be a good choice to reline a barrel in a 85 low wall .22 I recently purchased?

Thanks

I would probably take a rifle like this to a good gunsmith for a job like this, but I have drilled out barrels and installed 38-40 liners before. I invested in the drill bit and chamber reamers and it worked out very well. I followed what Larry Potterfield did but didn’t use a lathe, I used a power hand drill and drilled from both ends. Use a lot of cutting fluid if you do it this way and take your time.

5 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I would probably take a rifle like this to a good gunsmith for a job like this, but I have drilled out barrels and installed 38-40 liners before. I invested in the drill bit and chamber reamers and it worked out very well. I followed what Larry Potterfield did but didn’t use a lathe, I used a power hand drill and drilled from both ends. Use a lot of cutting fluid if you do it this way and take your time.

You're a better man than I Gunga Din. I'd screw it up in heart beat.

I do my own relining and have lots of examples of it on my web page where I bring old guns back from the grave.

www.rvbprecision.com

Archived