SASS Wire Forum

Browning BSS straight stock

I'm not a double barrel shooter, tried it once and it wasn't a pretty sight!

Today, while wondering around the local gunshow, I found a nice Browning BSS 12, but it was a "sporter" with a straight stock.  Does this kind of stock make much difference to those of you who like 2 barrels?

It was really expensive!

I like them!    I have an SKB and a pair of Browning Citori"s with English stocks    GW

I have one with a the straight stock.

Modified and Open.

I find it fast to shoulder for flushing birds.

Haven't tried it for CAS.

I shoot black powder through a 26" Browning BSS with a straight stock and absolutely love it!  Also like the pistol grip doubles.

I think it a shooter preference thing, don't know that it matters much in this game.  Shooting the straight stock feels a little different, but I don't shoot any slower with it. Sure don't notice anything after the timer goes off.

The British style of wingshooting emphasizes using the forward hand to control the swing and muzzle.  The straight grip puts the strong hand in a weakened position so it can’t overpower the hand on the forend.

For our game it won’t make any difference.  If the gun mounts comfortably and points well for you don’t pass it by because of the grip.

Just my personal opinion, but I don't care for them. I would never spend the Pricy money for something that was not exactly what I wanted. I'm sure that it could be resold, but unless there is plenty of margin I wouldn't buy one to resell, and sure wouldn't buy one to use myself. 

Snakebite

I tried a straight stock on both a BSS and a stoeger. liked them but with the arthritis in my wrists the pistol grip style and lighter weight of the SKB seem to give me a better grip to pick up and less weight to move around.

guessing just a personal preference.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived