SASS Wire Forum

Where'd you get your alias?

Tyrel Cody

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, since I've had a beard since I was in 5th grade or so, long story, only none of which is true, anyway, since I've worn a beard I often got called 'Grizzly Dave' if reference to Grizzly Adams on TV.  When I started this game, before I joined up, I was Grumpy Grizzly, but several at the range commented that I didn't look so grumpy with that big grin on my face from having fun.  So, I just fell back to Grizzly Dave.   Kinda wish I'd found something other than 'Dave' as that's my real life name, and when I'm playin' cowboy, I don't want to think about real life.  Most folks now just call me Grizz, which suits me just fine.  I even have some folks who aren't cowboy shooters calling me Grizz.

That's my story.

Grizz

I was reading a novel and a shady outfit had paid shady characters with checks.  The checks were signed by Knullen Void and of course were invalid and untraceable.   I was considering a name change because there were so many "slims" around.  I thought this one was too good to pass up.  With some help from my wife on how to spell it, so as not to cause too much confusion, Null N. Void was born.

Use to travel to work at Palo Verde Nuke Plant and all my friends driving used CB's and I  lived off the Famous Jackrabbit Trail in Buckeye, Arizona. So I used Jackrabbit as my call sign and in 1988 joined SASS needed an  alias & used Jackrabbit &  added  Joe. So that's me Jackrabbit Joe #414.

JRJ

Always liked the portrayal of Buckshot Roberts in “Young Gun”....And Dobbs is an abbreviated version of my last name. 

BD

As a teenager I was a horseback trail guide at Chickamauga Battlefield. Slim seemed like a good joke when I started shooting since I hadn't weighed less than 340lbs since I was in my 20's. 

BIG John Wayne fan. Most of his names were taken. He played Stony Brook 8 times in the Three Mesquiteer Series, but that was taken. He was Hondo Lane and just Lane in the Train Robbers. Stony Lane made sense.

1 hour ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

As a teenager I was a horseback trail guide at Chickamauga Battlefield. Slim seemed like a good joke when I started shooting since I hadn't weighed less than 340lbs since I was in my 20's. 

Now you're 'half the man' you used to be.  I didn't even recognize you the first time I saw you afterwards and still sometimes don't.

Matt Dillon I believe was taken so Matthew Dunan.  Temporary until I can think of an real neat alias. 

Was the youngest of the son in laws in my wife’s family, so been the kid for 36 years.  They were mostly from the Uravan, Nucla, Naturita, Gateway area in western Colorado or Moab in Utah and I liked the sound of “Gateway” better than Nucla or Naturita Kid.

regards

Gateway Kid

I wanted a real historic name and since all the famous ones were taken I searched some old west books. My son gave me a book titled The Arizona Rangers by Bill ONeal, I chose Rye Miles cause it sounded kinda cool! He was a Texas cowboy, Arizona Ranger, Constable of Benson,Az, Sheriff of Tucson and ended his career as a guard at Yuma Prison. Born in 1866, he had 6 kids, lived in Casa Grande,Az where he died peacefully in 1945 at 79 yrs old. Killed four men in his lawman career.

Sgt' J.T. "Rye" Miles ;):FlagAm:

Back when I was a shift manager it was also the height of the "Austin Powers" craze. I used to initial documents sloppy enough that a friend at work asked my boss who was signing these papers, Doctor X? My boss liked it and the nickname Dr. X stuck at work. When I needed an alias it was natural to westernize it to Doc X.

My original alias was Hoss Hungright and my wife hated it so after about four months of her comments about it every time she’d hear me use it I decided to change it. I was watching a television show one night and one of the cars had a customized plate that read Yul Luz and I went to the SASS alias lookup page and that one was taken but Yul Lose was not and that’s how I got mine.

On 4/6/2019 at 3:01 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

How'd you get yours?

I've been called "Griff" for as long as I remember... what's an "alias"?

SASS Kicker was taken so I settled for Kirk James:o

Long, but short story. 

A good friend of mine (and fellow co-worker) agreed to join SASS, so we're in this dang thing together now. 

And as for names, you all know you can come up with quite a lot and they do tend to have a lot of color in them. 

One day it just came to me: "THE BALTHAZAR BROTHERS." 

It basically stuck with me that it was not only a unique and unusual name, but all that kept flashing in my head was the tow crier yelling out "Oh $@!T! It's the Balthazar Brothers!!"  Either as a cry of warning to all the badguys, lawmen, or women of various moral ambiguities.

So I suggested "David" and "Nelson" Balthazar (our real first names) and I created a whole colorful backstory about how we were separated at birth (one sent to NY, the other TX), our Mother's murder at the hands of The Man in Black, etc.  I am not a writer by trade, but fair-to-middlin with a writing instrument. 

So maybe one day, depending on our mutula levels of boredom, I will avail you all to the wild (tall) tales of "THE BALTHAZAR BROTHERS," "THE BALTHAZAR BROTHERS RIDE AGAIN," "BALLAD OF THE BALTHAZAR BROTHERS," and on and such. :ph34r:

14 hours ago, Doc X said:

Back when I was a shift manager it was also the height of the "Austin Powers" craze. I used to initial documents sloppy enough that a friend at work asked my boss who was signing these papers, Doctor X? My boss liked it and the nickname Dr. X stuck at work. When I needed an alias it was natural to westernize it to Doc X.

Seems to me I've called you something else...…… Itll come to me.

I came to a match to watch. MT Hart said there weren't no tourists allowed and I was shooting. Had about 3 seconds to come up with an alias. I'm from Michigan.... I aint fat...… And there ya go.

My Grandpa born in the late 1800's named my Dad "Rance"

from an old cowboy comic book..

I've often wondered if it was from story "The Man that Shot Liberty Valance"??

Jimmy Stewart in that movie was named Rance Stoddard.. An attorney..

Anyhow.. In 2003  Rance was already taken at SASS.. I gave consideration of 

"Just Rance" but I decided I'd go with Cowboy Rance..

I checked about every year to see if that alias (Rance) was still being used..

About 4-5-6 years ago I checked and the user hadn't renewed their

membership but I would have to wait 90 days for them to renew..

I waited.. On day 91 I called and became "Rance"

Rance ;)

Thinkin I lucked out.. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You changing alias's ? :P

I started to post something and though I was on another thread! :rolleyes:

Nope not changing my cool alias!!;)

+

I am a member and rider in the Hashknife Pony Express, the only sanctioned USPS pony express event in the US.  Every February we ride from Holbrook to Scottsdale AZ carrying mail  in the tradition of how it once was.  Also the Hashknife brand is a big part of northern AZ  history and a subject in Zane Grey novels......That about covers it!  

Being a Police Officer and Deputy Sheriff for many years, I thought that a LEO themed alias would be in order.  Marshal this, Deputy that, Sheriff whatever . . . .

Somehow along the thought process, "Hangtree" just jumped in out of nowhere.  So "Marshal Hangtree" it was.

My wife says it's "fittin'" and goes along with my personality.

Archived