SASS Wire Forum

First match of the season and what to shoot?

Warden Callaway

Here I am again.    Tomorrow will be our first match since last October.  Earlier matches at this club had been cancelled due to bitter cold weather and deep snow, etc. And our club will have first match next weekend.  I watched the weather all week and the predictions were for storms.  But they have slacked off and as of now the prediction is for partly cloudy and low of 50, high of 70. Can't beat that!  So now I'm finding stuff back staging it.  

The process is hindered by trying to decide on combination of guns I'm going to shoot.  Shoot my come to be standard set? Or mix in some guns we've acquired since last fall.  I want to shoot my old wallhanger Winchester 1887 but I'm not finding my loads in brass hulls.  I have plenty loaded in plastic hulls but I've not tried them in this gun.  I've decided to shoot my pair of Colt 45Colts.  It'll be the first outing for the nickel plated one.  I've got some 38 Special loaded with BlackMZ.   I haven't shot my 1894c in a match in a long time. But I've had it out shooting smokeless loads just recently.  So that's my choices as of now. 

Sawmill Mary hasn't said if she's shooting her new Liberty hammer double or her Stoeger Uplander.   I'm sure she'll want to take both.  Her Smoke Wagons in 44WCF and her Widder 1894 44WCF are a given.  

The first shoot of the year should be relaxed, fun, trouble free.  Shoot the most reliable guns you own and enjoy the promise of the new season!

10 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The first shoot of the year should be relaxed, fun, trouble free.  Shoot the most reliable guns you own and enjoy the promise of the new season!

You know,  I think I'm going to relax a bit this year.  Last year I had a couple of goals and I pushed to get them. One was a clean match and I got that one out of the way early..  And the other (don't laugh too loud) to shoot a stage under 40 seconds.   I think I did that a couple of times.  But I mostly shot the same set of guns.  I neglected some of my old guns that I really enjoy shooting even though they are more difficult to get lower scores. 

I found my 12 gauge brass hull loads and glued in a second top card to give a little more assurance that they won't break loose so I'm going to run my wallhanger Winchester 1887.  Ain't no way I'm going to break any speed records. 

I'll shoot Josey Wales a few times but at our home range where the targets are bigger and closer. 

All went well.   All our guns and ammo worked just fine.   I missed one on 2 stages and most were shot in around 60 seconds.  Ok by me.  My "wallhanger" Winchester 1887 worked well - even if I didn't.  I took my CZ-USA Hammer Coach Gun just in case but it staid in the truck. If there was an award for the longest gun at the match, I would have won by a long margin!

Sawmill Mary shot her new to her Liberty hammer double.   She did just fine with it.  She would have been faster with her Stoeger Uplander but it's not always about speed.  She'll get faster with practice. 

We had enough people show to have two small posses so everything thing went quickly and always busy.  I got some time in running the timer - something I don't often do.  Up to 81 on truck thermometer in truck on drive home! 

Archived