SASS Wire Forum

The sound of water vs the sound of beer

Utah Bob #35998

2 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Must be a German Lager

Believe it or not,  the Mexican up-pah music is inspired by German music.   

Going on long memory here, I think it was in the late 1830s a bunch of German engineers- mining if I recall  -and their families came to Mexico.   Naturally they brought a lot of their own customs with them.   Seems the music stuck the fancy of the locals and spread.

Oh ... so did the beer.

So, in a round about way, it is a German lager."

10 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Believe it or not,  the Mexican up-pah music is inspired by German music.   

Going on long memory here, I think it was in the late 1830s a bunch of German engineers- mining if I recall  -and their families came to Mexico.   Naturally they brought a lot of their own customs with them.   Seems the music stuck the fancy of the locals and spread.

Oh ... so did the beer.

Lots of Germans immigrated to Texas as well.

14 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Where the beer caught on, but not so much the music. 

Of course,  their veal schnitzel ended up being mutated into chicken fried steak. 

Ever wonder why the WW2 Museum of the Pacific is located in Fredericksburg? Five Star Admiral Chester Nimintz  (sp) was borne there of good German stock.

Cheers,  Hoss C.

6 hours ago, DocWard said:

Und Argentina, Bolivia, etc.

And a lot of Chinese to Cuba fir the railroads. There was a Cuban ex-pat running for the Miami city council once.

Juan Wong. I kid you not.

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Where the beer caught on, but not so much the music. 

Of course,  their veal schnitzel ended up being mutated into chicken fried steak. 

I'm not so sure about the music, or at least the influence. Tejano music, sometimes referred to as "Tex-Mex" music is certainly influenced by the German and Polish music of those immigrants. I recall reading an interview with Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top a long time ago, where he was talking about how the guys in the band were influenced by the music they heard on Texas radio stations growing up, including early rock, country-western, blues, tejano and even zydeco.

1 hour ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

20190222_140658_resized.jpg

Spent a good deal of time in Fredericksburg, eaten there several time, good stuff. My favorite place is probably the Altdorf. They used to make a dish I loved called swalbenester or something like that. Sadly, last time I was there they had taken it off the menu. :( They have a brewery that makes killer beer and good food, and a bakery that serves breakfast and has great baked goods.  Dammit Tex, now you got me wanting to go back.

JHC

3 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Spent a good deal of time in Fredericksburg, eaten there several time, good stuff. My favorite place is probably the Altdorf. They used to make a dish I loved called swalbenester or something like that. Sadly, last time I was there they had taken it off the menu. :( They have a brewery that makes killer beer and good food, and a bakery that serves breakfast and has great baked goods.  Dammit Tex, now you got me wanting to go back.

JHC

So, go!  I  drove there from the DFW area, but that's where I was staying until mid March.  I had to drive back to MN.  You don't have much of an excuse not to go.  Besides, you can stop off at Texas Jack's and look at the guns.  ;)

8 hours ago, DocWard said:

I'm not so sure about the music, or at least the influence. Tejano music, sometimes referred to as "Tex-Mex" music is certainly influenced by the German and Polish music of those immigrants.

It is, but from a later date.  Again, drawing on long memory, I don't think the Tejano style took off until the early 1900s, maybe 1910s, when a lot of the Germans and Poles left Mexico during the revolution.  

Go to Fredericksburg  at Christmas for the little fair they have.  I thought I ws in Cologne again.  And I have eaten at the Altdorf - the food was YUMMM-OOO - about as good as my neighborhood restaurant in Chicagoland.  quite Tasty and the only thing that was a put off  - it was cool to be bounding about in a light jacket.  Whoathunk it would get cold in Texas at that time of year - d'oh!

Will probably hit that place again in May.....

STL Suomi

On 4/6/2019 at 12:11 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Heineken!  Clearly it’s Dutch, not Deutsche. :)

Seamus

10 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

JHC

Swallows Nests??

Archived