SASS Wire Forum

Judge Roy Bean/Johnny Meadows connection

I grew up in the Gila River Valley of Arizona This is 66 miles north of Tucson and approximately  100 miles  east of  Phoenix. 

In the late 50's my Dad and I would saddle the horses and cross the river to rope at a little arena that was owned by Johnny Meadows.

Johnny was a small stature old cowboy about 5' 4"tall and weighing aprox 125 lbs. He always had a single action army tucked in his belt.

20 years later I was home visiting and started talking to Fred and Jake Upshaw, friends of my Dad. They told me the story of Johnny Meadows.

Relating to the article in the chronicle about Judge Roy Bean. The story relayed  to me was that George Upshaw was shot by Judge Roy Bean's son and a couple
weeks after the shooting the Judge's bar/courtroom burned down.  George Upshaw was the father of George Washington Upshaw, who reportedly burned the 

court house. He then left the state and moved to the Gila River Valley in Arizona named as Johnny Meadows.

I  heard this story but never new the reliability of it until I saw it written in the article in the chronicle.

It only seemed natural that when I started shooting my alias should Johnny Meadows.

The last 20 plus years have been great dealing with and shooting with all the fine people that make up Cowboy Action Shooting.

Johnny Meadows

Archived