SASS Wire Forum

Waxing your ‘stache...

What do you use? I let my mustache grow out a number of years ago and used Pinaud Clubman mustache wax to keep it under control. I’ve just started letting it grow again and once again the Clubman product gets the nod, if for no other reason than that it’s available locally for not a whole lot of cash. It even comes with a combination mustache comb and brush. So what, if anything, do the rest of my fellow mustachioed cowboys here in the Saloon use to “tame the beast” so to speak? :D

Pinaud here.
I have to grow mine to a greater length in order to have enough body to curl into a villainous handlebar.
My father's broom is rich and thick and takes its sweep easily; my own face fur is more sparse, alas!

I know Chili Pepper Kid and Half Fast Len will have something to say here. 

:D

I make my own using 50/50 bees wax and Vaseline, and pour into empty lip balm tubes that I get from Amazon.  One filled tube will last me about a month.  Easy to apply with no mess, then comb through and shape the handlebars.

A fellow 'stache pard, John Richard Ironton, gave me a can of Murray's Superior Hair Dressing Pomade last year, which works pretty good as well.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

I make my own. 1 part beeswax,  2 parts vaseline. Melt it together in a double boiler then I add a couple drops of Bay Rum fragrance. I put it in small tins.

Dantankerous don't get me started on Half- Fast's 'stache! I'm still not over my defeat in the mustache contest.

I'm not sure what he's using, since he's a barber he seems to try different stuff. 

I'm just now shall we say "re-embarking" on the whole waxing the 'stache thing, so I probably won't be making my own wax any time soon. But I do like the idea of the Bay Rum in the wax. Gotta love Bay Rum!

Back in the day I also used Clubman. 

49CEF0C1-3C74-4D9A-AF21-7A7978537F91.jpeg

I also use Club Man, but when I'm going to be out all day I add Col. Ichabod Conk's (On line), got2b spiking wax (Target or Walmart), and Alberto VO5 hair stickem.  I put them on while the mustache is still wet, comb it into place, let it dry and reapply and comb.  Should stand up to anything short of  a meteor strike

As for bay rum, I used Dominca bay rum from California-Antilles Trading Company.  They lost it for a long time and I used Clubman Virgin Islands bay rum for awhile. Good, but not as good as Dominica. About a year ago CA Trading brought out Grand Bay bay rum which is very nearly identical to Dominica.

I'm currently using Can You Handlebar Primary wax.  No scents or smells.  It works ok.

Time to buy a new so I'll take a look at what's posted here.

I've tried several. clubman is nice, smells like froot loops iirc. Tiger brand isn't bad. My current favorite is Firehouse Wacky Tacky. Been swimming with that and my stache holds tight. Then again I waxed the crap out of it too when I did. Clubman never seemed to last for more than a couple of hours. Wacky Tacky lasts. It's a hard wax that you have to work a bit to get going but if I do my part it'll hold all day and into the next.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:23 PM, Dantankerous said:

On 4/5/2019 at 8:48 PM, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

I make my own. 1 part beeswax,  2 parts vaseline. Melt it together in a double boiler then I add a couple drops of Bay Rum fragrance. I put it in small tins.

Dantankerous don't get me started on Half- Fast's 'stache! I'm still not over my defeat in the mustache contest.

I'm not sure what he's using, since he's a barber he seems to try different stuff. 

I asked Half Fast Len at the shoot today what he uses on his wispy excuse for a mustache. He said he uses the hair gel they use to spike hair at his barbershop. 

Chili Pepper (I'm still not over it) Kid

Archived