SASS Wire Forum

Colorado State Match & End of Trail

Knucky McPee

We are getting close to making plans and sending in applications for both the Colorado State Match and End of Trails.  Just waiting on firm delivery of our new living quarters horse trailer.  Going to be close.  This is the first time we have attended both of these events.  Is there plenty of room for rigs that are 40 foot long at both of these events or should I look at RV parks close by and do you all have recommendations.  We would like to hit the Hell on Wheels match on the way home but not sure if we can stay away from our house and animals that long.  Appreciate any advice and recommendations.  

Thanks

If you can't see em, spray and pray.  Argh!

Captain Black Hand and Black Diamond Deb

You can camp onsite at both matches.  I'm sure San Juan can provide you a suitable camp site with 110V power in Montrose.  He did for me the last time I shot there.  Founders Ranch can easily handle your rig or longer.  Also take a look at nearby Hidden Valley.  Their $125 rate for the week of EOT is a great deal and is less expensive then camping onsite when you consider the cost of water and sewer service onsite.

When pulling a trailer I recommend taking Colorado State Route 145 across the San Juans and not US 550.  Highway 550 is beautiful but has many hairpin turns and steep drop offs lacking guard rails.  My wife will never allow me to take that route again - especially in slick conditions.  See https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/635-million-dollar-highway-usa.html.  The scenery along CO 145 is wonderful too and there are some nice Forest Service campgrounds along the Dolores River if you don't want to drive to Edgewood in one day.

9 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

You can camp onsite at both matches.  I'm sure San Juan can provide you a suitable camp site with 110V power in Montrose.  He did for me the last time I shot there.  Founders Ranch can easily handle your rig or longer.  Also take a look at nearby Hidden Valley.  Their $125 rate for the week of EOT is a great deal and is less expensive then camping onsite when you consider the cost of water and sewer service onsite.

When pulling a trailer I recommend taking Colorado State Route 145 across the San Juans and not US 550.  Highway 550 is beautiful but has many hairpin turns and steep drop offs lacking guard rails.  My wife will never allow me to take that route again - especially in slick conditions.  See https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/635-million-dollar-highway-usa.html.  The scenery along CO 145 is wonderful too and there are some nice Forest Service campgrounds along the Delores River if you don't want to drive to Edgewood in one day.

Wow.  I think I will avoid that stretch of highway.  When you get to Cortex did you take 491 or 160 back to 550.  Thanks Edward

It is a bit shorter to take 491 to Shiprock and then over to Farmington to get on 550. I don't remember exact mileages , been several years since I knew those roads well.

Cortez usually has the "Revenge of Montezuma" match the weekend before EOT.

Good luck , Rex :D

Both routes from Cortez are fine but 160 takes you over some high country with steep grades.  If you have plenty of power to pull your trailer go ahead and take 160.  Hwy 491 to Shiprock and then US 64 is lower elevation without steep grades.  Both routes are scenic - with very different scenery.  BTW, US 550 across New Mexico is mostly a 4-lane highway with posted speed of 65 mph.  It's a good route for pulling a trailer and too is scenic.

Hope to meet you at EOT.  I'll be shooting this year and not Waddying.

35 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

It is a bit shorter to take 491 to Shiprock and then over to Farmington to get on 550. I don't remember exact mileages , been several years since I knew those roads well.

Cortez usually has the "Revenge of Montezuma" match the weekend before EOT.

Good luck , Rex :D

Awesome.  I added this match to my itinerary.  Is there plenty of room at the range for dry camping or should I look elsewhere.  Also when you drive at EOT on Monday or Tuesday is parking my trailer at Founders Ranch going to be an issue.  Thanks Rex

1 hour ago, Captain Black Hand said:

Awesome.  I added this match to my itinerary.  Is there plenty of room at the range for dry camping or should I look elsewhere.  Also when you drive at EOT on Monday or Tuesday is parking my trailer at Founders Ranch going to be an issue.  Thanks Rex

Cortez is a good match run by great people.  Lots of foreign shooters go there before EOT.  Dry camping near the shooting bays is in short supply but they do allow one to park on a hill near the entrance to the range.  Cortez is in a tourist area with three RV parks if you desire full hookups.

At Founders Ranch EOT will be underway when you arrive with your registration packet available for pickup.  Try to arrive before 5 PM and certainly before dark as ranch roads and the camping area are unlit (same for Hidden Valley).

Not mentioned previously but the Colorado State Match is held on the grounds of the Colorado Cast Bullet casting operation.  Many shooters stock up while competing.  The bullets sold in #10 cans are often the best deal.

11 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Cortez is a good match run by great people.  Lots of foreign shooters go there before EOT.  Dry camping near the shooting bays is in short supply but they do allow one to park on a hill near the entrance to the range.  Cortez is in a tourist area with three RV parks if you desire full hookups.

At Founders Ranch EOT will be underway when you arrive with your registration packet available for pickup.  Try to arrive before 5 PM and certainly before dark as ranch roads and the camping area is unlit (same for Hidden Valley).

Not mentioned previously but the Colorado State Match is held on the grounds of the Colorado Cast Bullet casting operation.  Many shooters stock up while competing.  The bullets sold in #10 cans are often the best deal.

Many thanks Edward and Rex for the very helpful information.  Especially that scary mountain pass.  That was the way I was planning on going.  

I got another question about RV service at EOT.  When we were at Winter Range last year they came around while we were shooting our main match and didn't service my motorhome because we weren't there.  Fortunately there is a dump station at the Ben Avery Shooting Range.  How is it at Founders Ranch.

There is no dump station at FR and dumping gray water onsite is prohibited.  I don't know whether you must be at your rig to have it serviced.  Some drive to Moriarty to dump their tanks.  Some Giant gas stations in ABQ have dump stations as does the Flying J off I-40 on the west side of ABQ.

There is a pumping and water service at EOT that can be scheduled.  A little pricey but at least you don't have to pick up and move. 

4 minutes ago, Jax T said:

There is a pumping and water service at EOT that can be scheduled.  A little pricey but at least you don't have to pick up and move. 

Thanks Jax.  Do you schedule when you pick up your registration and hopefully they don't come around when you are shooting your match.

You schedule it in the office and put the ticket on your rv and they will come by when they see it. I caught them servicing others when I was at my rv and they would come over while I was there. Worked pretty well last year. I was there 5 days and used them twice.

• 1 month later...

Colorado 145 will be closed for awhile.  See https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/24/colorado-145-rock-slide/.  Don't know if it will be open in June for you.

Update: the Colorado DOT just blew the huge boulder.  Looks like they will have CO145 open soon enough.

2nd update: CO145  is open with a one lane at mile marker 22.  CO-DOT says to expect backups.

Captain

Nearly identical mileage from Cortez to 550 either on Hwy160 or via 491.491 to Shiprock then Hwy 64 to 550 is faster but not much to see.Hwy 160 east to Durango then south on 550 is a much nicer drive but lots more tourist traffic at that time of the season.

It's  worth the extra time to stop and enjoy  Durango if you haven't  been there before.

Choctaw Jack 

On 4/5/2019 at 7:04 PM, Captain Black Hand said:

Thanks Jax.  Do you schedule when you pick up your registration and hopefully they don't come around when you are shooting your match.

Should you need it pumped or water in a pinch let me know up at the gate and I’ll direct them down to your RV. They usually come through three or four times a day and I’ll flag them down.

40 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Should you need it pumped or water in a pinch let me know up at the gate and I’ll direct them down to your RV. They usually come through three or four times a day and I’ll flag them down.

High winds this week knocked the greeter shack off its footings and pushed it back some.  We'll have it fixed up in plenty of time.  Not sure about installing a recliner and wet bar though.

20 minutes ago, Shotgun Clay said:

High winds this week knocked the greeter shack off its footings and pushed it back some.  We'll have it fixed up in plenty of time.  Not sure about installing a recliner and wet bar though.

Those must have been some really strong winds. Can’t wait to see you folks again!!

On 5/26/2019 at 7:30 PM, Yul Lose said:

Those must have been some really strong winds. Can’t wait to see you folks again!!

Wildshot and I got the tractor out and have returned your post to all it's relatively level glory.

3 hours ago, Shotgun Clay said:

Wildshot and I got the tractor out and have returned your post to all it's relatively level glory.

Thank you and Wildshot.

Archived