SASS Wire Forum

AR-10 in .308? Thoughts, ideas, experiences.

I've shot a couple friends let me shoot. Nice with low recoil and you can set it up for type of shooting you want to do. I would suggest a quality manufacturer if you plan buy a complete one. Use good parts if you build your own. Currently you can get a quality for same or less price or less than you can build. I like a 20 inch heavy barrel with 1-10 twist.

AR-10's can be picky about ammunition.  Lots of factory loads are't optimized for gas guns.  Like everything else you basically get what you pay for.  I have shot several LaRue OBR's and they are amazingly accurate and reliable. The teams use them almost exclusively.  Another one that is worth the money is the JP, but bring lots of money.  Some level entry guns that seem reliable are from Rock River and LMT.

I have owned  a Daniel Defense not cheap $2600 and it beat itself to death in short order

cam took the brunt of it, serious bolt bounce, etc

my brother bought a Noveske again not cheap

$3500 and it has held up but it was a switchblock with a H3 buffer

don’t think you’re going to get a Rock or DPMS for a grand and think it’s going to hold up

I know many folks with AR10’s  and my two cents buy an M1A !!!

edited in... the gun may finction 100% but it will beat itself to death in short order

When Palmetto State Armory first released their AR10 lowers I bought a stripped Upper/Lower combo and built one with an Anderson bolt and barrel. Had to get a very heavy buffer and an adjustable gas block to make it feed consistently. I sold it a good while back and didn't lose a lot of $. Probably won't get another, but if I did I'd spend the money for better parts and have someone else build it.

I have a PSA . It's been 100% thru several hundred rounds, but I changed the buffer tube to rifle length. It  has a 20" barrel. If I had it to do over again I'd get a 6.5 creedmore. I don't know why Dutch had problems, AR 10 was the original design an has been proven reliable for many years, even the DPMS.

"several hundred rounds" let me know how it's holding up after a few thousand. Mine gave up the ghost at around 4KI.

I was running a stock DD with 16.5" bbl with H buffer. A 20" will have a longer gas tube and gentler cycling.

My brother's Noveske, has the switchblock, with H3 buffer  and  as Tyrel stated you need an adjustable gas block or bolt bounce

will tear the rifle up. .My cam showed excessive wear at about 1500 rounds. YMMV.

I have a Rock River Arms LAR 8 Varmint which is the .308. One heck of a gun and dang accurate. Taken a few good bucks with it including my very first one which was a 14 pointer. Got a few 20 round mags with it. They sometimes go on sale and got one built for me around $1,200

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=105

I bought a PTR-91 which is basically an American made HK-91. Nice part is you can get surplus G-3-HK-91 stuff cheap. It's a roller locked recoil system, no gas tubes. Good part is it's ultra reliable, seems to eat anything from cheap Russian stuff to Nato milspec, commercial and reloads. It does have a pretty good kick, not as pleasant as a gas operated. It's also a heckuva lot cheaper than an AR or M1-A, and a lot shorter. Mine is scoped, but I love the HK rear sight, maybe the best I've seen.

JHC

PTR101-1-large.jpg

I know you are asking about AR-10’s but I would consider a Springfield M1-A. I do not own either but I have friends that do and after shooting theirs and hearing their opinions I would definitely consider an M1-A over an AR-10.

What do you want to do with it?

The Armalite AR-10T that I shot was a beast (heavy) but more accurate than I was.

Not bad to shoot and no problem with a 100-rd range session - bench, prone and off-hand.

As mentioned, not all AR-10 type weapons are compatible with others.  The older Armalites used a proprietary magazine.  I believe the newer ones are able to use SR-25 pattern magazines.

DPMS has the GII line of AR's - larger than the mil-spec AR-15 but smaller than standard AR-10's.

AR-10 type rifles are easier to attach optics to than standard M-1A rifles, but newer designs are changing that.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I know you are asking about AR-10’s but I would consider a Springfield M1-A. I do not own either but I have friends that do and after shooting theirs and hearing their opinions I would definitely consider an M1-A over an AR-10.

I have both-For precision with glass. Go with a AR10.

OLG

Archived