SASS Wire Forum

Anyone seen or have a Henry in .327 Mag?

Go West

I just became aware of Henry having models in .327 magnum that apparently also shoot .32 magnum so I wondered if anyone has seen these or bought one themselves, specifically the Big Boy Steel model. Interested in their ability to handle .32 magnum ammo. Thanks in advance. 

I've seen 2 of their brass receiver style .327 models, but I haven't seen the steel model.

I haven't fired them.   They are heavy.  They are beautiful rifles.   But I can't vouch for their

functional reliability, etc.....

..........Widder

3 minutes ago, LostVaquero said:

Why not just get a 1894 marlin in 32

The Henry, if it proves to be reliable. and shootable, will be around $700. The Marlins are fetching $1800-2500. Pure economics/ Plus the fact one is rare, the other in production and more readily available.

Yep, purchased the Steel Carbine last year used at a great price, but in excellent shape. It comes with the 'big loop', not real functional for SASS but looks real good. Anyway, I ordered a replacement 'regular' loop from Henry. I will reload some .327 Mag., .32 H & R Mag., .32 S & W Long, and .32 S& W Short (hunting, SASS, and plinking). The first three will feed reliably, and previous owner verified this. See this review https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/2/23/hardware-henry-big-boy-steel-carbine/

Manual, Henry website, other reviews indicate gun holds 9+1 of the .32 S & W Long, but the above review says holds 10. I'll try for 10 in the magazine for SASS matches. Henry rifles are not fast or slick for SASS matches, but I love them and have the Golden Boys I have also shot in SASS.

Mine was way below MSRP and Gunbroker that I couldn't pass up, and much less than half of what I have seen Marlin .32's go for. I already had some .327 and .32 Rugers, so the rifle I had to have.

RRR

I went back to GOTOW spring 2018 that had a Henry 327 review (Got a story on The Son with o e of my favourite rifles on the front - 1907 Winchester self loader).   Anyway 327 BB seemed alright, only notation was a non full mag caused either a round not to chamber or sometimes try to double feed.  Also noted was catching a casing in the port.  I have had this happen to me as well with a BB.

I have a Marlin 1894 32 all set up for CAS, but find myself  drifting back to the 38 CBC

I have had a Henry H012M327 (Steel) with the full size mag (not the shorter carbine with the large loop and is not any heavier than the Marlin.  It runs the 32 H&R Mags just fine and is a tack driver out of the box.  Mag tube will hold 11 32 H&R Mags or 10 327 Mags.  I have also run 32 SW & 32 Long through it without a hitch.  I had an issue with the rifle but it was of my own making but Henry fixed it under warranty.  It shoots just like the Marlin at a lot less.  You can make it race ready but as with any rifle that will void the warranty.  As I am not as fast as I was when I was younger and am more concerned with just shooting against my own scores I run mine out of the box without any mods.  I know a couple other cowboys who have them and love them as well.

There is a lot of Henry haters here on the wire .

So you will get a lot of smack talk about how its junk and so on.

If you are Not a fast shooter ( Sub 15 second stages )

The Henry is just fine .

I bought a Brass Henry 44 mag New . ( Because I like the look of it )

I did not buy it for SASS .

But to see for myself , I took it too a Match that weekend .

Bone stock straight from the box .

And I shot a clean match with her.

Im not a fast shooter by any stretch of the imagination.

Im more like a 35 second stage shooter .

But I had  ZERO   Issues with my Henry Big Boy 44 Mag .   

The 32 steal should be a lot lighter then the Octagon Brass Rifle  .

Just sayin .

Rooster 

55 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

The 32 steal should be a lot lighter then the Octagon Brass Rifle  .

It is.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

I can not bring myself to by a rifle that looks like a toy gun They may be reliable but they sure look cheap. IMHO

We'll have to check out McKay's. I heard the gunsmith there works on Lightnings and both of mama's are down. I'm hoping he can get one or both going again. In case that's not possible, I'm wondering about something as a replacement. Most likely candidate would be a 73 carbine. Thanks for all the info.

5 hours ago, Go West said:

We'll have to check out McKay's. I heard the gunsmith there works on Lightnings and both of mama's are down. I'm hoping he can get one or both going again. In case that's not possible, I'm wondering about something as a replacement. Most likely candidate would be a 73 carbine. Thanks for all the info.

He has fixed a couple of mine.

On 4/6/2019 at 2:33 PM, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

I can not bring myself to by a rifle that looks like a toy gun They may be reliable but they sure look cheap. IMHO

Actually shoot one and see what you think then

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
37 minutes ago, chestnut louie said:

Actually shoot one and see what you think then

My grandson has one and he loves it . It still looks cheap to me.:FlagAm:

The Marlin at McKay's was $1499 or $1599 which lost my interest in that one. I'll take mama's Lightnings there to see what might be done. In the meantime, 73 carbines in .357 seem to be scarce at the moment. Thanks for all the comments.

3 minutes ago, Go West said:

The Marlin at McKay's was $1499 or $1599 which lost my interest in that one. I'll take mama's Lightnings there to see what might be done. In the meantime, 73 carbines in .357 seem to be scarce at the moment. Thanks for all the comments.

There's a couple on gunbroker now.

Archived