SASS Wire Forum

Bought One from Trigger Mike-WTB M1 Garand

WTB:  WWII era M1 Garand, Service Grade, must have period correct parts for WWII era.   They do not have to be "matching" parts, ie all Winchester parts, but "period correct" parts, ie all parts manufactured during WWII...not after.    I am not looking for a "collectors grade" rifle, but want the rifle to have applicable cartouches on the stock, etc.   I shoot all of my weapons, so I want one that is totally operable.  Thank you in advance.

Mac

No offense intended, but I have purchased 2 in the last 2 years from the cmp in Alabama. 

Either at the facility itself or, forgive my memory one was from a sister store they have at a range close by. 

They are willing to work with you on what you want exactly when possible 

Yep, best bet would be to look 'em over in person and take your pick.

Parts made later in the war by a different manufacturer than the receiver would still be period correct... what don't I understand...?

Thanks, guys, but every time I check with the CMP program they do not have what I want.  I am not interested in one with a new stock, or with a barrel made in 1961, or a trigger group made in the 50s, etc.  For several years, I have been looking at the gun shows for one that is not $2000-3000.   They are all over the place for $1000-1500 but no-one will guarantee all period correct (WWII) parts.....only the receiver.  The only way to know for sure would be to disassemble and check all part numbers at the show, which is impractical at best.   I have found a couple being sold by a widow that I thought were what I was looking for,.  She let me take them home and check part numbers.  I was disappointed.   One of them was in great shape and had all period matching parts.....produced in 1957.   The other had all period correct parts, except a barrel produced in 1961.   Both of these were purchased from CMP.   I saw one on the WIRE last year, which was exactly what I wanted, but it sold by a PM about 2 minutes before I said that I would take it.  I have been wheel spinning for years, so if anyone has one like I have posted please let me know.

Thanks, Ghost.   I will try that.  It is certainly worth a try.

Trigger, sending you a PM.

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

If you order it and list exactly what you want, give them a month or 2 and they usually have one. 

A buddy requested all period correct with lock bar sight. 11 weeks later it was on his door step. 

How long ago was that? They seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel now.  Mostly a mix of USGI and new parts.

With very few (very expensive) exceptions, original all matching wwii M1 garands are a myth.  After the war, the military inspected and rebuilt guns in inventory to bring them up to spec and correct problems identified in service.  For example, they redesigned the rear sight to get rid of the locking bar (which was itself a fix) and either modified or replaced the op rod to get rid of a sharp corner that had a tendency to crack.  Given the fact that M1s fought through WWII and Korea and remained in service for decades, many guns got rebuilt several times.  The armorers did not care about matching parts, they just grabbed the next part in the bin.  

As such, many of the “all matching” WWII guns out there are assembled by collectors using parts chosen for their date and manufacturer, not their condition.   If I were going to shoot a WWII matching gun, I would check all the parts carefully to make sure they are safe and up to spec.  WWII era barrels tend to have a lot of muzzle wear (primarily due to cleaning from the muzzle with the steel GI rod).  Also, I would not recommend shooting an original uncut WWII oprod.  They are scarce and can break.  Lots of folks buy a postwar rod to put in when they head to the range.  

Personally, I purchased a 1954 Springfield with an excellent barrel and a late NM oprod to shoot and am working on collecting the proper parts for a WWII gun to have for the collection.  This way I get two M1s, which is never a bad thing.  

I have a couple but must Garands were used in Korea so the barrels are mostly  50s barrels. I have not checked mine.  I have several guns Winchester, H&R I think and International harvester I do not know what you want to spend but I may have what you are looking for

Willi.....thanks but bought one from Trigger Mike.

Thanks to Trigger Mike.   A great Pard to do business with.

Archived