SASS Wire Forum

Keurig versus pot

Trigger Mike

My wife and daughter wanted a Keurig so I got them one for Christmas.  I think Keurig coffee is weak even hitting the strong button and getting dark roast. I've used green mountain and folgers and newman's and Starbucks but it taste weak compared to a pot. I can also tell Keurig has the effects of tea and not the same as a pot on my body.  Seems to be less caffeine.  

5 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I use both CAF from Black Rifle Coffee Company I can get stronger from pot but the Keurig is fast and convenient for small batch.

My daughter gave us a Keurig.  I don't drink much coffee and my wife would go through six or seven cups before she went to work.  After sh died I got rid of the keurig and gained about a cubic foot of counter space in the=kitchen.

I have a little three (actually only two) cup electric percolator that hides behind the toaster beside the knife block until I need it.

I use Farmer Brothers medium roast and can make it weak it almost has no color or strong enough to sculpt.

It depends on how serious you are about your coffee and how much you drink.

I probably drink more coffee then I should and am reasonably serious about my coffee.  I've started grinding whole coffee beans again and I am trying the various light roasts* available through Amazon.  There are far fewer options for a Keurig, even on Amazon, compared with either ground coffee or whole bean coffee.

*The Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is a very good light roast and for some useless trivia, the coffee bean appears to have originated in the Ethiopian highlands.

I used to drink a pot of electric brew a morning.  Now I drink a 16 oz cup from a Keurig.  I use Starbucks French Roast.  It's strong enough for me.

You can also get refillable Keurig type pods at places like Bed Bath and Beyond that let you tailor the mix in the pod to your taste...

43 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

You can also get refillable Keurig type pods at places like Bed Bath and Beyond that let you tailor the mix in the pod to your taste...

Lots of people say refillable pots are too small to get stronger brew.      GW

We tried the Keurig - with three people drinking coffee all day long it gets too expensive. 

Then went to a Mr. Coffee programmable. Works great when you remember to set it up and have it start brewing in time to be finished before you wake up. Otherwise, it took 15 minutes to brew.

Now we use a Bunn. The reservoir keeps water hot so it only takes 3-4 minutes to brew a pot. The only potential downside is if you forget to turn it off. 

My wife loves her Kuerig and drinks several cups a day. The nice thing is she can switch flavors without having to dump the remains of one pot, and start over. I think the flavor is great. For me, caffeine can be a powerful laxative, so I generally drink decaf. Now we can sit with our coffee in the morning without having to change pots. 

I am not a coffee connoisseur but the best Keurig coffee I have found is McCafe medium roast. I really like Tulleys Hawaiian blend but it caused my face to break out really bad. It took a while for me to realize it was the coffee. Too much acid in it.  Posted by Ms. Jewel 

I'm not a fan of coffee at all.  Don't like the taste or smell, can't even handle coffee flavored food.  One of the world's worst smells, to me anyway, is a pot of coffee sitting on the burner.  In the twenty years I was married to my late wife, we never had a coffee pot in the house until the Keurig came out.  It was nice, because I only had to smell the stuff for a minute while it brewed.  When she passed away, I got rid of it.  Now, four years later, I have a girlfriend that spends the night on occasion (you know, when we sit up all night praying and studying the bible) and she drinks coffee.  Found a little two cup drip for her to use, but I'm thinking I'll be investing in a Keurig again soon--Damn!

3 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I use both CAF from Black Rifle Coffee Company I can get stronger from pot but the Keurig is fast and convenient for small batch.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I usually use the commercial fodder, but do use the refillable pods from time to time and have never found them to make a weaker brew.  And indeed you can "customize" the blend - even adding a squirt of some sort of extract (I like hazelnut).  

And when you're solo, it is SO fast and convenient...!!

But for multiple coffee drinkers, I'm with Chief Rick on the Bunn.   ;)

Over the past 40 years, I have used nothing but a Bunn.  I am on my third one.  Only appliance in the kitchen that gets used every day.

As a police officer I was never far from a cup of black coffee . Today retired I drink a cup with breakfast and that’s it. A Keurig only makes sense 

I wanted to try the Black Rifle Coffee but there were just too many hoops to jump through on their web site 

I have both. During the work week when it's one cup with breakfast I like the Keurig. On the weekend it's a pot. I tried the Black Rifle coffee and it was good but too expensive for me. My favorite is Folgers 1850 Pioneer blend.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
10 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

My wife and daughter wanted a Keurig so I got them one for Christmas.  I think Keurig coffee is weak even hitting the strong button and getting dark roast. I've used green mountain and folgers and newman's and Starbucks but it taste weak compared to a pot. I can also tell Keurig has the effects of tea and not the same as a pot on my body.  Seems to be less caffeine.  

I thought POT was illegal in GA.;) :ph34r:

I look good strong, robust coffee. Keurig just doesn't cut it! Good old Mr. Coffee works just fine!

Rye there are some pretty stout Kuerig pods available that are plenty strong. One cup servings are super easy. if you ever get a chance, try Black Rifle CAF. Caffinated as f#*k

My son has a drip coffee maker, I don't know what brand, that will either do a single cup or a whole pot depending on which part of the machine you use. The single cup thing is pretty handy because I drink decaf and everybody else in the family drinks regular coffee...

I've had 2 Keurigs, and finally gave up on them.  Hard to clean, tempermental, etc...   Bought a cheap single serve Hamilton Beach Flexbrew.  It works with kcups, and also has a basket.  Brews strong coffee.  Slow, but who cares.  Cleaning?  A breeze.

For a few years my wife wanted a K-cup brewer.  Last time our Mr. Coffee gave out (had been buying the cheapest version, and they lasted about 3 or 4 months) I bought one of the Hamilton Beach Flexbrew units:
Hamilton Beach 2 Way Flex Brew - 49954 - image 2 of 5

Can brew a pot or a single cup.  You have to pour water in for each cup when you use the K-cup side, which isn't a problem.  She really likes it because she can brew a cup of tea, a cup of decaf, a fancy flavored coffee, or whatever.  The little refillable basket is great for coffee or tea, you just have to play around some to figure out how much of what to put in.

Right now I'm sipping on a chai latte brewed with it (the pod is about 50 cents - Wal-mart brand).  I have the pot set up for tomorrow morning.  OH! TheraFlu makes pods to fit it.

I use the refillable pod and Maxwell House Master Blend. I drink one or two cups a day, usually several hours apart. My wife likes Starbucks Sumatra pods. She also drinks one or two cups daily. I like the quickness of the Keurig.

I worked night shift for 12 years. I seldom had a good cup of coffee; everything seemed to be tar like or burnt. So, I like my coffee on the weak side with lots of milk. :D

Howdy,

McDonalds drive thru, senior discount, just a drop of cream.

OR stainless steel press coffee maker, pour one cup, put remainder

in stainless steel preheated thermos. I use Dunkin original and grind whole beans.

Press coffee maker is marked for half pot as well.

I cant stand that heavy roast stuff.

One local restaurant charges near three bucks a cup and I would quit coffee

before drinking that. Some folks love it. Go figure.

Best

CR

Coffee press, thermos and maybe a microwave to warm that last cup.

9 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Instant coffee only goes with powdered eggs

I put it in a protein "shake"

9 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Am I the only one who uses a single-pour #2 cone filter to make a cup of coffee?

Excellent coffee of whatever flavor or strength I want.  Lowest cost. And the waste goes to compost. 

I've tried it.  Good coffee, but a pain in the hind end if you want more than one cup.  

For good weekend coffee - French Press.
For decent workday coffee - drip coffee maker.

Archived