SASS Wire Forum

Recommended: Cattlemen’s Steakhouse and historic Stockyard City

Cholla

I am at training in Oklahoma this week and the instructor recommended we try the Cattlemen’s Steakhouse in the old Stockyard City area of Oklahoma City. The main reason was because of the specialty, lamb fries. I had wanted to try them for 30+ years so I took a chance. To my surprise, they were excellent. 

Of special significance, the surrounding area has multiple western wear shops, boot sellers, hat makers, saddlers, an opry, and other related shops. If a CAS lover can’t find something to like within the two block area, I would be surprised. A world of caution, most of the shops close at 6pm. Langston’s stays open later and they are directly across from the Cattlemen’s. 

https://cattlemensrestaurant.com/

https://www.langstons.com/

I went to Cattlemen's once. The steak was not too bad but the wife and I asked for butter for the baked potato and when it came out. it was just shy of frozen and tasted stale.

There was a place that had good steaks between OKC and Norman on I-35 called Indian Hills.  unfortunately they closed down many years ago.

Another place that had good steaks was in a small town called Amber (South West of Norman) It has been a while since I have been back but they would get bus loads coming there. It was a bit quirky but the food was good. The place is called Ken's Steak and Ribs.

I had someone ask what lamb fries are. They are much like rocky mountain oysters, except these came from young male sheep when they are castrated and become wethers. So, lamb fries are sheep testicles that have been peeled, sliced, battered, and fried. It is a western delicacy normally had during roundups.

16 hours ago, Cholla said:

I had someone ask what lamb fries are. They are much like rocky mountain oysters, except these came from young male sheep when they are castrated and become wethers. So, lamb fries are sheep testicles that have been peeled, sliced, battered, and fried. It is a western delicacy normally had during roundups.

Good thing they don't circumcise them too. Do they??:huh:

While in OKC, don't miss the National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum. superb stuff there.  Cheers, Hoss C.

Archived