SASS Wire Forum

Have two "ring" questions

Alpo

Did you get a high school ring? How about college?

Never saw the sense in it, myself.

Question 2 - for the married men. Do you wear a wedding ring?

I don't wear jewelry. My father was an airplane mechanic in the Navy (excuse me - Aviation Machinist Mate) and didn't wear anything on his hands. That's probably where I got my lack of jewelry from. And the last 7 years of my working career was in aviation, where I actually got to see a guy hanging from a nacelle by his wedding ring.

But to go by television and movies, every man that is married wears a wedding ring.

Just wonder on occasion if me and Daddy was the only ones that didn't.

1. High School ring yes

2. Yes, although I didn't wear it for the first 15 years I had it due to working around machinery and then construction. When I became a computer programmer I started wearing it.

I had a class ring - disappeared during a divorce. Wore a wedding ring after I got out of the Navy (electrician = rings are bad)... and got divorced. :lol:

My parents wouldn’t buy me a high school ring. Probably just as well. I wouldn’t have worn it past high school anyway. I went to 5 different high schools in 4 years. We moved 8 times. One school I attended I went to 3 different times.

I didn’t buy or earn a Navy ring. I probably wouldn’t have worn it. Too big.

I do wear a wedding ring but did not for years when I worked on electronics and electrical systems.

I discovered that my wife is buying me a really cool ring that is a ceramic band inlaid with crystal. If she buys it I will wear it. She left the purchase of it up on her tablet and I saw it the other day.

Or maybe she’s buying it for a boyfriend...:blink:

I’m kidding...

I have no idea what happened to my class ring! I've looked a few times but I think it somehow got lost! Bummer!!:wacko:

Both times I was married I wore my wedding band. Guess it didn't matter!:lol: (divorced twice)

Didn't buy the HS ring or college ring.

and I don't wear a wedding ring, although I am married.

I just never adapted to rings, bracelets or necklaces.   Just me.

..........Widder

Always wear my wedding band.  When I worked in machine shop I took ring off and put it in my tool box at beginning of shift.  After washing up at end of shift put it back on.

I got a high school class ring but don't know what happened to it.  Most of the guys gave them to the girl they were going steady with in school.  Remember the girls wearing them around their neck?

High School ring, yes, don't know what happen with it.

On our P.D. after 25 years of service you receive a very nice ring. While on the P.D. wore it, now in a box.

Wedding ring, wore it since 74.

Had the HS ring.  Didn't wear it much after HS.  Wear a wedding ring but should take it off when wrenching.  Knew guys that wore their wedding ring on a chain around their neck.  Have some other rings my wife bought me but don't wear them much.  Don't have the calluses on my fingers to have them on long.

Couldn't afford a high school ring, didn't occur to me to buy a college ring, got a simple wedding band even though my wife understood it would be worn only for the ceremony. Today I wouldn't be able to get it on due to arthritic knuckles.

Wore a HS ring till the day I saw a classmate degloved his finger getting off the back of a 2 1/2 ton flatbed.

Wore my wedding ring around my neck for several years but don't do that any more. I will wear it if we are dressing up and going out but otherwise it stays in a small ring box.

3 minutes ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

I am still adjusting to wearing a wedding ring since my wedding 2 weeks ago.

Congratulations. You’ll get used to it. ;)

High School ring fit for about 5 years, then wouldn't any more.  It's been in a drawer since.

As long as I was working construction, I didn't wear rings, including a wedding band.  

Since I gave up construction as a side line job a few years ago, I've started wearing a wedding band.

I only wear a watch when I'm working my police job.  

I don't wear any other jewelry, unless you count the pins and badge on my uniform.

A friend told his fiance that he was not sure about a wedding band, as it might cut off his circulation.

She advised that it most certainly would.

Rings:

No High School ring but I had a US Army ring. One day while in the tower on the firing range, I was standing with my hand on the window frame when the four foot wide window slammed on my hand. The ring kept the window from chopping my finger off. It was bent and had to be cut off but my finger was just bruised. I was going to get a Special Forces ring to replace it but never did.

I wore a wedding ring in Vietnam. One dark and rainy night, standing in a flooded rice paddy in Cambodia, I wiped some mud off my hand and felt the ring fly off. Due to being much leaner than I was when I arrived in country, the ring was a bit loose. I filcked on my flashlight and miraculously there in the beam about 5 ft away, sat my ring on a tiny clump of mud sticking out of the water. I retrieved it and placed it on my dog tag chain for the duration of my tour.

While at the beach in the 70s my wife’s little sister accidently pulled the ring off my hand into the ocean, never to be seen again. My wife got me another one. I lost that one scuba diving. She said, “That’s it dude. No more rings for you”  She got me another one about 10 years later. Haven’t lost that one yet. :D

I have a few nice Navajo silver rings. I wear one when we go out on the town sometimes.

992AA2D0-8E38-4C9A-A7C0-26E9FE18E4A1.jpeg

I'll answer for Hubby. He was an electrician and wouldn't even wear a watch. I don't know if he had a HS ring.

I had a HS ring. Never wore it much. I'm not much of a jewelry person. I outgrew my wedding band. I wore my mom's. Then, I quit wearing one until one of my co-workers told me he almost asked me out and that I should wear a ring. So, I wore my grandmother's band until I outgrew it. Now, I'm not sure whose band I'm wearing. I have arthritis and my fingers keep getting bigger and knobbier.

Some how my mother scraped together enough $$ to buy me a hs class ring---1961---still have it safely stored away--lot of sentiment there---had a long career of working as electronic tech----no rings or watches-----metal & electricity don't mix so good------especially high voltage on pict. tubes of old TV's & video equipt----went thru a phase in 1990 of going to Las Vegas a lot--bought me a big ol gold nugget w/ diamonds ring & gold nugget wristwatch for fancy doings --hate to think what woulda happened to me if I'd ever worn any of that while my hands were around high voltage---sheesh!!-----Retired long time now--so I do wear  wedding ring now -----all the other stuff is in a jewelery box stored away!!!

I have both a HS and College ring both were seldom worn and are in a drawer somewhere. When I outgrew my original wedding band I started to wear my fathers. As a martial arts student and instructor I only wore it for dress. The day my son got married he took it off my finger and to this day wears it around his neck. Several years ago I bought a beautiful handcrafted silver and turquoise wedding band by Jimmy Smith in Phoenix I wear it for dress. What I do wear faithfully is a Saint Christopher medal it was the first present my wife ever brought me I’ve been wearing it for 40 years the only time it ever comes off is when the medicos make me 

1 hour ago, Grass Range said:

Or welding

Not sure how a ring could be a problem while shooting.

HS and college ring that my wife sold to help pay for a grand kids graduation present.  Have the wedding ring but have not worn it since I saw the ring finger of an ammo handler hanging on a bolt head in the side rack on a 10 ton ammo truck.

1 hour ago, Noz said:

HS and college ring that my wife sold to help pay for a grand kids graduation present.  Have the wedding ring but have not worn it since I saw the ring finger of an ammo handler hanging on a bolt head in the side rack on a 10 ton ammo truck.

Five ton?

was the army able to reconnect the finger? Or did they even try?  You were closer to the hospital than I was.

I paid $34 dollars for a large 10 karat HS ring in 1969.  I wore it for a month or two and then a couple of different girlfriends wore it on a necklace for a year.  I quit wearing it in college and it sat in a cigar box until the late 1970s.  Gold went way up in price and I sold it for $100+ which I used to buy some good competition darts.  I still have those darts. 

We got married in 1977 and my wedding ring tried to take off my finger twice.  Once while lifting weights and once while working in my parents metal shop for a summer.  The wedding ring languished in my wife's jewelry box until 10 years ago.  Gold was up again and my wife was cashing in some scrap gold.  She tossed me my ring and said, "I'm not worried about you anymore, why don't you sell it"?  I added the cash with some more money to buy a new pistol.  I still have that pistol.  

1.  Never bought a high school or college ring.

2.  Never got married, so I never had a reason to wear a wedding ring.

However, now that I've retired, I routinely wear 5 rings at a time.  The only reason I don't wear 6 rings is that wearing a ring on my right little finger makes it tough to write.  As an added bonus, I've discovered since I starting wearing 5 rings simultaneously I've been getting more attention from ladies than I have for years. 

Archived