SASS Wire Forum

An amazing gift from my Mother

Clay Mosby

The wife and I have been down to a single vehicle for a few years now, just couldn't afford to replace the one that died. 

Then my mom was diagnosed with dementia and lost her license. She fought it tooth and nail for a long time, but finally accepted what was happening. Then a couple months ago she surprised us by saying "Since I can't drive anymore, you might as well have it."  We had to jump through some hoops as she had let the registration expire and the insurance company cancelled her policy when they were informed of her diagnosis. 

But today, paper work in hand, we were finally able to go get it and drive it home. Tomorrow I get it smogged and then back to the DMV to finalize the transfer. 

It's a 1994 Olds 88 Royale with all the bells and whistles, and only has 112,000 miles!!  It is in immaculate condition, and will be a great relief in having a second vehicle in case of issues with either one.

Thank You Mom!

IMG_20190403_171032281_HDR.jpg

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

And you still have to SMOG it every 2 yrs..............

OLG

What  does SMOG it mean?

1 minute ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

What  does SMOG it mean?

SMOG test for registration.

Has to be done every 2 yrs in about 98% of the counties in PRK.

Only cars older than 1975 are exempt.

OLG

What a blessing. 

Give your mom an extra big hug. 

Heck, you should give your mom an extra big hug just because she's your mom. The car is extra credit.

:D

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

I have a feeling they do not require one where he lives...They want the money here....We have to put up with it...

Texas Lizard

That’s great Clay. You should definitely give her lots of hugs and take her to Cheesecake Factory or Marie Callender’s for dinner too. :D

I miss my Mother.

Not sure why they still call it a SMOG test here in CA, as now all they do is check the computer settings. No more probe up the tailpipe.

Mom has gotten a lot of extra hugs.  East Coast Filly lost her Dad to Alzheimer's, and now my mom is losing herself to dementia. It is a horrid, evil disease, and brutal to watch a loved one struggle with it.  But we cherish the brief moments she's with us in mind and spirit.

4 minutes ago, Clay Mosby said:

Not sure why they still call it a SMOG test here in CA, as now all they do is check the computer settings. No more probe up the tailpipe.

Mostly it’s about revenue. If it truly was about the environment and safety there would also be a vehicle inspection that would include headlight aiming and light testing, oil leak checks, etc...

But that would place an undue burden on certain communities in California and would also reduce revenues from fix-a-tickets...

Sorry, got side tracked...

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

They did away with that in Florida a ton of years ago.  It put lots of people out of work, and there was a secondary business carried on by most mechanic shops where they would mess with the timing so that the car would pass the smog test.  The car would run terribly but after you passed the test you took it back and the mechanic would make it run right again.  With the advent of computer run engines this kind of testing became superfluous.

11 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

Latest Map I could find. Marked Counties do not have annual or bi-annual SMOG testing.

Image result for california counties that do not smog test

There are six counties that require smog certifications only within certain Zip Codes. 

El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

3 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

The tail pipe probe is still used on pre 2000 year cars.

OLG

I couldn't see what they did so don't know about a probe, but he did say he had to calibrate something because of the age.   Whatever, the car passed.

Then I got the great honor of waiting at the DMV for 2 hours to spend 3 minutes at a window to finish the transfer. Whoop-dee-doo!! :)

Archived