SASS Wire Forum

why do 'we' replace two-piece firing pins with 1 pc ?

Throckmorton,23149

been learning myself about the inner workings of my yellwboy, and got to wondering ab out it. 

does it make it fire more reliably with soft primers, or imaybe it's just replacing a part before it's a problem?? ie : it breaks. ?

thanks, Pards

Takes less energy to fire the primer with a one piece resulting in lighter main springs.

I replaced the broken original two-piece firing pin in my Marlin ‘94 with a stainless one-piece firing pin and also replaced the main spring with a lighter one. Been running Winchester Super X .44 Special cartridges through it and have had no problems with light primer strikes. Goes boom every time. 

7 hours ago, Caboose said:

Takes less energy to fire the primer with a one piece resulting in lighter main springs.

Does this mean that I shouldn't replace the stock main spring in an Uberti 73 by a lighter spring if I don't have a 1-piece firing pin? As I read so far it is not a simple drop in mod....  (I use factory ammo, Magtech .45 Colt 250gr Cowboy Action Loads)

Equanimous

6 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Does this mean that I shouldn't replace the stock main spring in an Uberti 73 by a lighter spring if I don't have a 1-piece firing pin? As I read so far it is not a simple drop in mod....  (I use factory ammo, Magtech .45 Colt 250gr Cowboy Action Loads)

Equanimous

Absolutely not. Grinding down the factory hammer spring or installing a lighter after market spring is one the first mods most shooters do. Lighter firing pin springs are also available for the factory firing pin.  

5 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Absolutely not. Grinding down the factory hammer spring or installing a lighter after market spring is one the first mods most shooters do. Lighter firing pin springs are also available for the factory firing pin.  

Thank you very much for this info! I have already received the Light Duty Mainspring from the Smith Shop, but haven't installed it yet. I will probably do it within the next days and I am a bit more confident now that it will work reliably.

In addition to the reasons above I replaced the two piece firing pins in my Marlin 94's simply because I found that last second click when closing the bolt when the two firing pin pieces were lining up to fire annoying. 

22 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

In addition to the reasons above I replaced the two piece firing pins in my Marlin 94's simply because I found that last second click when closing the bolt when the two firing pin pieces were lining up to fire annoying. 

Never heard that on our 3, M94s when they had the OEM, FP in place.

OLG

37 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

High Spade,

If you were getting a 'click' from the 2-piece FP while closing the action, it was probably a good thing

for you to switch to the 1-piece.   Something wasn't mating up correctly with your 2 piece.  Maybe a burr

or something causing some 'click' sound.

But anyway, glad the 1 piece is working good.

Like Lumpy, I've never experienced a 'click' from the 2 piece, although I have experienced a broken spring

and a 'dead' spring that had somehow lost its strength or was dead when it was installed from the factory.

..........Widder

Not sure if OP was specifying Marlin or '73 but I will offer comment as to 1P in 73.

My find in the difference in 1P versus stock 2P in 73s is not a great one and the pros  mentioned above for Marlin are similar.  (Not sure Blackfoot's take on "the why" is not highest on list.)  I like the idea of the 1P and I do believe I can run slightly lighter main spring with excellent ignition on primers (Fed 200s).  I have several of Snake Oil George's 1P FP for 73s.  Snake Oil has a slightly new design which seems to wear even less on hammer as earlier ones did, and they are easier to install after his modification to your bolt.  One of the few cons (negatives)  many had with the 1P was that the  harder firing pin protruding at rear with loaded round in chamber could cause a dent into the hammer on the hammer strike (hard firing pin/ softer hammer).  If this was dissatisfaction to the user, SO would, at no charge, place a harder insert into the hammer as fix (Snake oil is that kind of guy.).  I am finding that the newer version seems to not produce such a dent in hammer and I am more pleased with it.  (Note: the dent I mention into surface of hammer did not seem to actually cause a problem, it just produced more of a cosmetic "flaw"....yea, I like nice cosmetics...in my shooting toys.)  There are those who may offer a con opinion of 1P FP for 73s , and I would like to hear any pros and cons offered. 

So in a 73,  Is the 1P better than OE with addition of stronger firing pin?  Perhaps only slightly and more in the mind of the user....but, I am a user who likes the difference, especially the belief that I get a lighter main/hammer spring for equal ignition.  Such satisfaction in my "toys" is a plus for my enjoyment of this great game/sport.   If that little "piece of mind" makes me think I can go faster, well that's one of the things that keeps our vendors happy.

11 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

BB, the OP is speak'n of a 'Yellowboy'. 

Me thinks, he is talk'n about a '66.

OLG

Got'cha...never had a 66.  Would 1P in 66 be very similar to that of '73?

3 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Got'cha...never had a 66.  Would 1P in 66 be very similar to that of '73?

Works great.  My 73 has a 66 shaped extension with a 66 hammer running the 1 piece firing pin.

Archived