SASS Wire Forum

Why Carry a Gun?

Sedalia Dave

Why Carry a Gun?

My old Grandpa said to me, "Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take a whipping.

I don't carry a gun to kill people; I carry a gun to keep from being killed.               

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil; I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the World.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government; I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry; I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone; I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow   afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man; I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate; I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it; I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron:  Free citizens must protect themselves because police do not protect you from crime; they just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a whoopin'!

Author Unknown.

I've had people ask me if I honestly think there's a chance I'm going to be robbed or assaulted. I say no. Then they say then why do you need a gun when the odds of you being a victim of violent crime are so low? I'll then reply, if the odds of being a victim of a violent crime are so low then why do we need gun control in the first place??? That usually blows their minds! :blink:

I've actually been assaulted twice in my life. First was when I was out riding my bicycle as a teenager and a car full of druggies mistook me for a snitch, and they knocked me off my bike and started beating me. Fortunately an older couple saw them chase after me, gave pursuit, and scared them off. The second time I was in Seattle and had to take public transit (something I almost never do), and a drunk transient went at me because he hated white people. Thankfully he didn't try too hard and I fended him off. I pray there will never be a third time, but I've had enough aggressive drivers literally try to run me off the road or get me to rear-end them to know that the odds aren't good.

8 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I'll then reply, if the odds of being a victim of a violent crime are so low then why do we need gun control in the first place??? That usually blows their minds! :blink:

I really like the logic.  It should be more widely publicized!  

14 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I've had people ask me if I honestly think there's a chance I'm going to be robbed or assaulted. I say no. Then they say then why do you need a gun when the odds of you being a victim of violent crime are so low? I'll then reply, if the odds of being a victim of a violent crime are so low then why do we need gun control in the first place??? That usually blows their minds! :blink:

Perfect response! I love it! :D

Just because I can.

I’ve discovered that the ones who ask you why don’t usually accept WHATEVER reason you give!  They’re only looking for a confrontation or to attempt to object you to ridicule or derision in public.

I seldom give them the opportunity.

Those who really want to know will usually make that clear up front.  They don’t make a production of the query, and often ask in private.

I carry a gun because it's my God given right, and I've seen what happened to people who's only option was to wait on someone else to protect them.  

I carry one because the gun can't one because the gun cannot do anything without me. Even walk!

I carry a pistol because I really like to! I am  always out and about on our farm and have wacked a ton of armadillos and other assorted varmints with my handguns over the years, I shoot almost every day at SOMETHING, rock, can, clod of dirt, floating debris in the creek whatever comes along and makes a good excuse to burn some powder. And then when I am out and about on the town I carry because its a mean world out there and you just never know, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! I cant imagine not being able to carry my firearm, its a tool and a dang fun one! SCJ

1. I have the right.

2. Arizona respects that right.

3. If necessary I can use it in defense of myself, my family and friends, and those who need to be defended.

4. Frankly, I just like guns and would carry even if none of the first three weren't there.

I carry a gun because it makes me feel like a real man.  I feel like I can be bold and say tough stuff to other folks 'cause I know I can put a big bad bullet in them.  I don't feel insecure in myself when carrying a gun.  And, I feel so depressed there is not a SASS approved Baptist category.  And that make me want to carry a really big gun. 

So there!  I guess I told you!!!

My big gun.  I posted the above just so I could show you a couple of pictures of my big gun!

S&W Model 25-5 in .45 Colt

8fz6yU.jpg

VgC4Gx.jpg

Oh, when I carry, it's a S&W 9mm Shield, and as in Forty Rod's #3 reason above, I pray to my God I never have to deploy it against another human being.

Every animal you see has a God given way to protect itself. You dont see people banning a lions' claw, or a wolfs' tooth, or a snakes' fang. God gave us the mental capacity to realize just how low on the food chain we are, and the ability to do something about it. 

Because some people are too stupid, too ignorant, too selfish or too mean not to have a way to protect yourself against them.

Was talking to my neighbor yesterday morning. She said that they had just got their boy dog back from the vet. I asked what was wrong. She said that her husband had been walking him 3 days earlier, and they had been attacked by another dog. $2,000 vet bill.

When I walk Worthless I carry a cane. Many times I have used it to fend off a dog that comes running up. A couple of times drawing back my arm like I'm going to hit the other dog has caused him to stop and leave.

But if the stick don't work, the gun on my belt will.

The answer to the question is extremely simple. "Why carry a gun?"

Because I might need it.

Because self defense does not require an apology.

I still like the story about a Sheriff who was invited to speak at a ladies luncheon. When he sat down, a lady at the next table noticed his pistol under his jacket.

She said, "Sheriff, I see you are wearing a gun." "Are you expecting trouble here?"

He replied, "No ma'am."

"If I was expecting trouble I would have brought my rifle."

Don't know if it really happened, but I like the sentiment.

1 hour ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Because self defense does not require an apology.

I still like the story about a Sheriff who was invited to speak at a ladies luncheon. When he sat down, a lady at the next table noticed his pistol under his jacket.

She said, "Sheriff, I see you are wearing a gun." "Are you expecting trouble here?"

He replied, "No ma'am."

"If I was expecting trouble I would have brought my rifle."

Don't know if it really happened, but I like the sentiment.

You don't carry a spare tire only when you expect to have a flat and you don't wait to pay your insurance until you feel yourself getting sick.  You keep both handy in case they are needed.  Like a gun, if any of them is  needed, it's needed right there and right now- not after you go get it.

I'll bet in her last moments poor Samantha Josephson (the girl who mistakenly got in the wrong car thinking it was her Uber ride) probably wished she had a gun, or at least something to defend herself with. You just don't know when you're going to suddenly end up with somebody intent on killing or maiming you.

13 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

I carry a pistol because I really like to! I am  always out and about on our farm and have wacked a ton of armadillos and other assorted varmints with my handguns over the years, I shoot almost every day at SOMETHING, rock, can, clod of dirt, floating debris in the creek whatever comes along and makes a good excuse to burn some powder. And then when I am out and about on the town I carry because its a mean world out there and you just never know, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! I cant imagine not being able to carry my firearm, its a tool and a dang fun one! SCJ

Mostly agree with you, but shooting at stuff floating in the water is generally not considered safe.  Water will allow a ricochet quite easily.  In your location it may be fine, but it is generally not.  Just a friendly reminder for everyone out there.

13 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I carry a gun because it makes me feel like a real man.  I feel like I can be bold and say tough stuff to other folks 'cause I know I can put a big bad bullet in them.  I don't feel insecure in myself when carrying a gun.  And, I feel so depressed there is not a SASS approved Baptist category.  And that make me want to carry a really big gun. 

My big gun.  I posted the above just so I could show you a couple of pictures of my big gun!

8fz6yU.jpg

VgC4Gx.jpg

Oh, when I carry, it's a S&W 9mm Shield, and as in Forty Rod's #3 reason above, I pray to my God I never have to deploy it against another human being.

Your Big Gun is beautiful, nice picture. :FlagAm:

22 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

8fz6yU.jpg

VgC4Gx.jpg

Gotta love a Smith in a caliber that starts with 4! :D

Howdy,

I think carry of a gun is the dumbest thing.

Carry two, then you can truthfully say NO when asked if you carry A gun.

Best

CR

ps longtime Lone Ranger fan......

On 4/5/2019 at 1:55 PM, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

And I carry a gun, because carrying a police officer is really inconvenient and frowned upon

+1000

They are too bulky and I am to old to trot about with 200 lbs strapped to my waist.

STL Suomi

On 4/5/2019 at 1:55 PM, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

And I carry a gun, because carrying a police officer is really inconvenient and frowned upon

And here I thought it was because he made you stop at every coffee shop and donut store. :P

Like that old saying from back in the 70’s goes;

”Its better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it”.

BTW,+1 to Chili Ron’s logic!:FlagAm:

A man that doesn't go heeled is automatically a victim, in my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like. Especially mine.

On 4/6/2019 at 2:28 AM, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I think carry of a gun is the dumbest thing.

Carry two, then you can truthfully say NO when asked if you carry A gun.

Best

CR

ps longtime Lone Ranger fan......

I have one on me and two in the car.

If you don't have a gun when you need it you might never need it again.

Very simple logic.

For convenience I admit that I carry small guns but if I could I'd carry this - S&W starting with a 4?  Yessir. .45 Colt.

picture.php?albumid=771&pictureid=12718

Archived