SASS Wire Forum

How long do shotshells last?

Ramblin Gambler

I know with pistol and rifle ammo, as long as you keep it dry and close to room temperature, it will potentially last forever.  But when I was younger (about 20 years ago) and hunting deer with shotguns, I was taught to always shoot up last years shells and buy new ones because something deteriorated in the buckshot and caused holes to open up in the pattern.  So my questions are

1.  Does this apply to the birdshot we use (because I am currently buying winchester FL faster than I shoot them). 

2.  Does it even still apply to buckshot, or have they made advancements that fixed that problem? 

Paper hulls were probably the main reason for a limit on shotshell life in storage.  Paper lets in moisture, even from humidity.   That moisture weakens powder and the paper hull itself.   Waterproofing that was used was wax on the hull.   A season of hot weather, followed by cold and damp, really could affect shell performance.

Anymore, I've not seen anyone shooting years-old factory (plastic) shells worry about how long the shells will last.    Lead balls in buckshot loads won't spoil. 

I'd chalk this one up in the "doesn't still apply" warnings column.

Good luck, GJ

Mine don't last more than a month or so! They all seem to go downrange!:o

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

What about that white coating crap that can accumulate on lead .22s when they're not in a climate controlled environment.  What is that stuff and can it happen to lead shot in a shotgun shell?

You mean oxidation??

50 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

What about that white coating crap that can accumulate on lead .22s when they're not in a climate controlled environment.  What is that stuff and can it happen to lead shot in a shotgun shell?

Unlikely. The white coating is lead oxide caused by moisture. Modern SG shells usually have sealed crimps to prevent water intrusion. 

Plastic hulled shells should have a shelf life longer than a Twinkie as long are they are not stored in the bed of your truck.

I dove hunt with a guy that keeps shells in 5-gallon buckets in his shed for years and years and they all seem to go bang when fired.

Totes

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

12,636.35825 days... No more, no less.

Phantom

Phantom's right (gag, choke, sputter) I just loaded three in my 97 that were 12,636.35000 when I loaded them.  First one fired well at 12,636.3575 days old, second one fired as well at 12,636.35821 days old the third however failed to fire at 12,636.35829 days old.  They really should put a warning on the box with the use before date.

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

Gold? Live and learn.

That is why gold plating is used on electrical contacts that are expected to last a long time. Gold does not oxidize. Most metal oxides are not good electrical conductors. So gold plating is used where it is important that the contacts last a long time and do not fail. Gold plated contacts are used on electrical components shot into space, and a lot of military electrical components have gold plated contacts too for the same reason.

With Red Knee, a case (250 rounds) will last about 3 minutes..... on a good day, it will last about 2 1/2 minutes.

Thank goodness he don't have many good days..... :lol:

..........Widder

1 hour ago, twelve mile REB said:

Phantom's right (gag, choke, sputter) I just loaded three in my 97 that were 12,636.35000 when I loaded them.  First one fired well at 12,636.3575 days old, second one fired as well at 12,636.35821 days old the third however failed to fire at 12,636.35829 days old.  They really should put a warning on the box with the use before date.

Wasn't these your reloads.

1 hour ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

That is why gold plating is used on electrical contacts that are expected to last a long time. Gold does not oxidize. Most metal oxides are not good electrical conductors. So gold plating is used where it is important that the contacts last a long time and do not fail. Gold plated contacts are used on electrical components shot into space, and a lot of military electrical components have gold plated contacts too for the same reason.

Gold is also used a a solder.

Plus-Gold has almost no electrical resistance. 

OLG

Thanks everyone.  That's one issue, but the concern I was taught about was that the pattern would open up.  There's nothing to that either?  Maybe it was from the lead oxidizing in the shell, or the wad deteriorating?  I guess the oxidation isn't supposed to be an issue with the modern sealed shells.  Same is probably true for the wads or any fillers. 

10 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Thanks everyone.  That's one issue, but the concern I was taught about was that the pattern would open up.  There's nothing to that either?  Maybe it was from the lead oxidizing in the shell, or the wad deteriorating?  I guess the oxidation isn't supposed to be an issue with the modern sealed shells.  Same is probably true for the wads or any fillers. 

I have about a thousand olf Pattern Control wads that are at least 35 years old.  The plastic bag they are in is pretty rotten but the wads themselves are in excellent shape. I use them for my BP loads when I have to shoot clay birds. They allow more shot and more powder than my regular CAS loads.

59 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Wasn't these your reloads.

No, they were 34.620136 years old in the box.  ( not adjusted for leaps)

7 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I know with pistol and rifle ammo, as long as you keep it dry and close to room temperature, it will potentially last forever.  But when I was younger (about 20 years ago) and hunting deer with shotguns, I was taught to always shoot up last years shells and buy new ones because something deteriorated in the buckshot and caused holes to open up in the pattern.  So my questions are

1.  Does this apply to the birdshot we use (because I am currently buying winchester FL faster than I shoot them). 

2.  Does it even still apply to buckshot, or have they made advancements that fixed that problem? 

Ammo stored properly has indefinite shelf life. I've shot shells 20-30 years old or older no problem. Duck hunters using steel shot should use new each year due to fact the conditions they are hunting in moisture can get in rusting the shot. This can make a bird load into a slug. I know this from a friend that used old she'll hit bird and put a single large hole in him.

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Gold is also used a a solder.

I know I'm getting way off topic, but the 'gold' solder used in electronics is 80% Gold/20% Tin. I used to work in the electronics industry, and Gold/Tin solder was used in specific applications. One of my tasks as a technician was to gather up all the waste Gold/Tin solder and ship it off to a metal reclaiming outfit. It is obviously expensive stuff. It is actually silver in color, not gold color. Regarding snagging the space junk for the gold, the actual gold content is tiny. Just plating, nothing else.

20 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

I know I'm getting way off topic, but the 'gold' solder used in electronics is 80% Gold/20% Tin. I used to work in the electronics industry, and Gold/Tin solder was used in specific applications. One of my tasks as a technician was to gather up all the waste Gold/Tin solder and ship it off to a metal reclaiming outfit. It is obviously expensive stuff. It is actually silver in color, not gold color. Regarding snagging the space junk for the gold, the actual gold content is tiny. Just plating, nothing else.

Correct, that gold used as solder is white gold.

It is also used in salt-water boats/ships in critical connection areas.

Also used in high vibration areas.

OLG

I just cut this paper round apart - from a box I've had for 55 years or so. First time I've looked inside one. Note that only a few of the pellets have oxidized. 3 fiber wads. Crimp was sealed with some kind of wax in addition to the coating on the hull. Once in great while I fire one. They always go bang.

FvoEDur.jpg

i thought the topic was the shells - hulls " i missed something in the oxidized lead but , if its the hulls - some folks get 6-12 reloads depending on the hull they tend to get stressed with repeated crimps and you can see small cracking in the plastic , its not worth running them till they fall apart when most trap ranges would let you harvest all you want for free , particularly now that the high schools are expending so many once fired , 

if im mistaken of the question and its all about the lead - or oxide - i shoot reclaimed , ive got a bit of sand in some of mine , 

Archived