SASS Wire Forum

Tennessee: Multiple Committee Hearings Scheduled

Charlie T Waite

Pro-Gun Bills to Support:

House Bill 409, sponsored by Rep. Bruce Griffey, would confer civil immunity upon a person who uses or threatens force in self-defense, defense of another, or defense from a person committing a criminal offense, unless the person against whom force is used is a law enforcement officer during discharge of the officer's duties and the person knows the person is an officer.  House Bill 409 has also been scheduled for consideration in the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday.

House Bill 712, sponsored by Rep. Jeremy Faison, would streamline state law and remove confusion by updating the definition of “firearm” and “antique firearm” to mirror the terms used in federal law. House Bill 712 is scheduled for consideration in the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday.

click-here-take-action.gif?width=500&hei

Anti-Gun Bills to Oppose:

House Bill 1427, sponsored by Rep. Mike Stewart, would criminalize the private transfer of firearms, without exempting transfers between close friends and certain transfers.  This would require gun owners to pay fees and obtain government approval to transfer firearms, such as the gifting of firearms to friends or hobbyists trading firearms among themselves.  It would particularly impact those living in rural areas who do not live near a licensed firearm dealer.  Such a scheme would have no impact on criminals, who acquire the vast majority of their firearms illegally, such as by theft or straw purchase, and would be unenforceable without firearm registration. House Bill 1427 has been scheduled for consideration in the House Constitutional Protections and Sentencing Subcommittee on Wednesday.

House Bill 1476, sponsored by Rep. G. A. Hardaway, would create fines and penalties for anyone who leaves a firearm or ammunition in a motor vehicle or boat without the firearm or ammunition being stored in a locked cabinet, safe, vault, case, or secured with a firearm locking device if the vehicle or boat is left unattended or with a person under 18 years of age; directs fines collected be deposited in the criminal injuries compensation fund and the domestic violence community education fund.  Not only does this legislation intrude on an individual’s ability to effectively defend themselves in certain situations, it would also place the financial burden of completely unrelated funds and programs onto those individuals that it has ensnared. House Bill 1476 has also been scheduled for consideration in the House Constitutional Protections and Sentencing Subcommittee on Wednesday.

Pro gun bills are most likely going to pass.  The anti-gunowner bills, NOT SO MUCH!!

Just now, Blackwater 53393 said:

Pro gun bills are most likely going to pass.  The anti-gunowner bills, NOT SO MUCH!!

You're probably correct, but our representative told us the anti-gun bills wouldn't make it out of committee; yet here we are :angry:

The anti-gun bills are being heard in committee.  I'm thinking they won't go any farther!!

5 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The anti-gun bills are being heard in committee.  I'm thinking they won't go any farther!!

My mistake, I misread and thought they had already advanced. My dad is a district lead for the Convention of States here in Tennessee. When I mentioned these bills to him he drove down to Nashville and cornered several State Representatives on the matter; he has become friends with a few due to CoS. They assured him they would not be passed. I've written several letters myself, but haven't heard back.

I've done the same. Writing letters and phone calls to my representatives is something I spend a little time every week on.  Sometimes it's just an e-mail. Sometimes it's been a registered letter!!  Our senators staffs are familiar with me and I'm on a first name basis with most local elected officials.  I've been on the porch at the state capitol on numerous occasions, even before my retirement.

Tell you pa that we appreciate his efforts!!

Archived