SASS Wire Forum

73 bolt tab repair, weld or cut for repacment?

Captain Clark

So after 7-8 years of multiple matches per month on this rifle , the bolt tab has worn off to almost nothing. I just finished up installing the new style replacement but want to send the old bolt off for either welding or to be cut for the replaceable lower tab. So who does the best work on these bolts these days? Does anybody have any experience they would like to share? Thanks to all   CC 89893

Lassiter is surely hard to beat.  He welded up my main 73's tab, putting a piece of tool steel in place.  Has been perfect for 2 years. 

Quick turnaround because it does not need exact milling work done.  Less labor, less time, less cost.

Will it ever need to be replaced?  I'm trying to find out.  I'll let you know in 20 years.  :lol:

Good luck, GJ

3 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I've heard Three Cut does a good job though I've never needed to have that done.

Three Cut repaired one of mine.  Nice job!  It's been a couple of years and still going strong.

or a little more expensive option but nice...  Shotgun Boogie is making bolts with replaceable bottom tabs and coil spring extractor.  The tab is as easy to replace as an extractor.  

19 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Three Cut repaired one of mine.  Nice job!  It's been a couple of years and still going strong.

or a little more expensive option but nice...  Shotgun Boogie is making bolts with replaceable bottom tabs and coil spring extractor.  The tab is as easy to replace as an extractor.  

Do you have any contact info for Three Cut?

5 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

I think some of the folks are milling them out to take the new replaceable tabs Uberti makes....that way if they break again you can replace them yourself. 

That's why I'm looking for info on who does the work. Thanks..

+1 on Lassiter has done several for me

1 hour ago, Captain Clark said:

Do you have any contact info for Three Cut?

1970620878_3cut.jpg.df306379c5795beb4636cf73ab152d4e.jpg

Three Cut repaired a 38 cal. 66 bolt for me three years ago. Did a fine job and it’s been running without a problem. If it ever breaks again it will be easy to repair.

Archived