SASS Wire Forum

Homemade Beef Jerky

Lawdog Dago Dom

I can't get through a check out line without grabbing a bag of jerky. But that is getting expensive. Looking for some pard's advice on how they make their own, meat used, dehydrator, etc. The whole nine yards.

Thanks.

LDD

I usually just slice it as thin (or thick) as I want it, marinade in a mixture of Worcestershire, soy, mebbe some garlic powder and onion powder, a bit of brown sugar or honey, some pepper...

Then after a reasonable "soak" time, into the ol' dehydrator it goes!  :)

Not an exact science, but have never been disappointed by the results.  ^_^

Have been really happy using Hi Mountain spice kits.  For jerky like their black pepper and garlic blend      GW

I make my own, ('bout time for another batch!) and use a dehydrator.  They only run you about $100.00 fully outfitted with several racks and it's MUCH cheaper than running the oven!!  There are numerous recipes out there and you can modify any one of them to suit your taste.  Your butcher can recommend what cuts of meat work best and will usually slice what you buy for free.

I have mine sliced to the thickness I desire and then cut it into strips and trim off the excess fat myself.  I marinate for 24 hours or more and usually start with 20 pounds of meat.

I go to a restaurant supply outfit, used to be Cash and Carry but they changed the name, and get a package of Special Trim (bits and pieces trimmed from large cuts) or eye of round. 

Trim it well,  season it, usually just salt and pepper,  then lay it out on racks and pop it into a low oven with the door propped open slightly.  

Go to YouTube and look up Alton Brown beef jerky. 

I have had a heart attack and my P T brings me jerky he makes from white turkey breast from the grocery deli department. He has them slice it fairly thick and then he marinate s and puts it in his dehydrater. It is never tough and no gristle in it. It is easy to chew my kids love it also. stay healthy my friend.  Irish Pat

We made it out of venison. Unfortunately it took the best cuts out of the hind quarter to do it. Avoid fat and sinew. It was great stuff though! The kids were using it as dog treats too. I put a quick stop to THAT!:o

LDD,

IMHO the best cut for jerky is top round(been a butcher for 50 plus years).I slice mine about 3/16 of an inch and marinate overnight in a zip-loc bag.My favorite marinade is 1/2 teriyaki, 1/2 light soy sauce with garlic and onion juice to taste(a little goes a long way).

Place on racks to dehydrate and sprinkle with seasoned pepper.

I dry at 145 to 150 degrees until it reaches the desired crunchieness.

And yes,dehydrators are worth the money!

Enjoy,

Choctaw Jack

I like the Hi Mountain kits especially the Hickory blend. If the weather is bad I make it in the oven, if it's nice out i use my electric smoker. I order the beef from local meat counter. I think they use round roast.

Mine is pretty famous and very simple. Cheap soy sauce and black pepper. I made my first dehydrator from a cardboard box lined with foil and a drop light. Worked great but slower than a fan dehydrator. Used it for many years until my wife bought me one of those newfangled round things. It is a lot faster. Everyone used to think my old one was some sorta critter cage or incubator. If it's stupid but it works.......it's not stupid (Murphy's Laws of Combat #9) Funny how many people used to want to borrow it. They called my jerky machine.

JHC

Just looked out the window, and we appear to be fresh out of Elk in Illinois right now.

I like the Alton Brown approach, but furnace filters?

Good info folks. Thank you.

Archived