SASS Wire Forum

Is this the new normal?

Alpo

I was just on the website of a local elementary school. They had changed from the Yellow Jackets to the Patriots, and I was wondering why and when.

So I was reading about the history of school. They tore it down and build a new one in 97, and they proudly stated that there were bathrooms and telephones in every classroom.

Bathrooms in the classroom. So little Johnny would not have to go out at the hallway and walk to the boys room?

Is this normal now? Do they do that at your kids's/grandkids's schools?

Ya just know that "Little Johnny" will be eating pickled eggs before school!

Actually, it is not that new.  I was in first grade around 1958; we moved into a brand new school half way through the school year.  We had bathrooms in every classroom, including little red lights on the switch outside the door, to tell you if it was occupied (Jeez...some of the stuff that sticks in your mind).  I felt really old about 4-5 years ago, when I read about the school being sold, demolished and replaced with condos.

I suppose the bathrooms cut down on kids wandering the halls on the way to and from the lavatory.

LL

I graduated in '77.  They had just upgraded from corn cobs to the Sears and Roebuck catalog my senior year.  

I hear they now have flush toilets, instead of having to sprinkle lime down the hole.  

When I was in grade school I walked a half mile down to the bus stop. Nowadays when I get behind a school bus on the way to work it stops at a driveway to let on 3 kids, then drives 50 feet down to the next driveway and picks up another. Then another 100 feet and there are two more kids! They say people passing buses with their lights on is becoming a problem... I can't imagine why. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

They had just upgraded from corn cobs 

My Daddy told me there was a bucket of yellow cobs and another of white.

You'd use two yellow, then use a white to see if you needed another yellow.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

When I was in grade school I walked a half mile down to the bus stop. Nowadays when I get behind a school bus on the way to work it stops at a driveway to let on 3 kids, then drives 50 feet down to the next driveway and picks up another. Then another 100 feet and there are two more kids! They say people passing buses with their lights on is becoming a problem... I can't imagine why. :rolleyes:

not trying to be a smart aleck here--all the districts around where I taught did this too.  Concern for child abduction.  Wife's school actually had a couple of middle school girls killed  (was not at bus stop but after hours around their homes--school was not involved in any way)

Also kids were required to be picked up at certain stops--couldn't walk those 50 yards to next block--was a way to monitor who was riding buses that day

You can come up with all sorts of things in the name of child safety.

Well I guess nobody ever worried about my safety then. I'd leave at O-dark thirty and huff it all by myself through rain and snow just to get to that bus stop, day after day from the 4th grade all the way until my Junior year. Eventually I grew tired of the long walk and would take short cuts through people's yards. That stopped when one guy came out and threatened to shoot me the next time he saw me. Other than that though I never had any incidents. I guess I was too ugly to abduct. :unsure:

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Actually, it is not that new.  I was in first grade around 1958; we moved into a brand new school half way through the school year.  We had bathrooms in every classroom, including little red lights on the switch outside the door, to tell you if it was occupied (Jeez...some of the stuff that sticks in your mind).  I felt really old about 4-5 years ago, when I read about the school being sold, demolished and replaced with condos.

I suppose the bathrooms cut down on kids wandering the halls on the way to and from the lavatory.

LL

Yeah. Same thing for me in 58 or 59.

5 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

not trying to be a smart aleck here--all the districts around where I taught did this too.  Concern for child abduction.  Wife's school actually had a couple of middle school girls killed  (was not at bus stop but after hours around their homes--school was not involved in any way)

Also kids were required to be picked up at certain stops--couldn't walk those 50 yards to next block--was a way to monitor who was riding buses that day

You can come up with all sorts of things in the name of child safety.

When I was in a Chicago public school in the early 1950's, I walked about a half-mile (four blocks) back and forth, including home for lunch, except when the weather was very bad!  When we moved to the suburbs for 7th and 8th grade, I walked a couple of blocks to the bus stop.  We never worried about abductions. By the time my daughters were in elementary and middle school in the 70's, in a suburban Western city, it wasn't considered safe to allow them to walk by themselves to school! :( School shootings?  When I was in middle school in the mid-'50's, I used to take my .22 with a box of ammo to a school...where a local police officer ushered me and a friend, also armed (bolts out, of course) into the gym where he conducted the NRA hunter safety course! Times have definitely changed!  There is no respect for anything or anybody, and the South Side of Chicago is a free-fire zone! :angry:

My Kids Graduated from 9th. Grade in a school in Small Town Alberta, where I was invited to bring a Shotgun or two to the School and Join the 7 to 9 grade students going Trap Shooting....  I think it was because they liked my guns and Free ammo .....

I am a Firearms Safety Instructor ...

Every year I was invited to teach the 8th. Grade Social class about the settlement of Western Canada for a day   ,,, Guns, Traps  and other items were displayed....

Guns were safely handled , traps were Set and Snapped using Stricks etc...

This stopped when a New "Liberal" Principal was hired from Outside of the Community about 10 years ago ....

Jabez Cowboy

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

That must have been interesting.

That's one word for it.  I was either thrown out or asked not to return by the three schools I attended before that.  Saturday mornings were the time for my detention and work in the rock garden about twice a month.

God forbid kids should learn about safe handling of firearms in school. It might interfere with something important like Microaggressions class in the Safe Space. 

Seamus

3 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

My Kids Graduated from 9th. Grade in a school in Small Town Alberta, where I was invited to bring a Shotgun or two to the School and Join the 7 to 9 grade students going Trap Shooting....  I think it was because they liked my guns and Free ammo .....

I am a Firearms Safety Instructor ...

Every year I was invited to teach the 8th. Grade Social class about the settlement of Western Canada for a day   ,,, Guns, Traps  and other items were displayed....

Guns were safely handled , traps were Set and Snapped using Stricks etc...

This stopped when a New "Liberal" Principal was hired from Outside of the Community about 10 years ago ....

Jabez Cowboy

To the OP...In '77 my second grade classroom had its own bathroom. But that was the only classroom that did from K-12. 

I have not see this practice of having private classroom bathrooms in any of the 7 modern school buildings in my district,  except for special needs classes or teachers' lounges. 

Archived