SASS Wire Forum

Math of The Comancheros

Alpo

I'm watching the movie.

Now it says right at the git-go that it's taking place in 1843. This does make it a tad hard to accept all the 1873 Colts, the 1892 Winchesters, and Lee Marvin's 1875 Remington.

But when they go to take the widder woman and her young'un into town, she tells Regret that her husband was kilt four years ago at the Battle of San Jacinto.

That battle was in 1836, which, by my math, is SEVEN years afore 1843.

Duke’s movies used the New Math.

Sip the beverage if your choice,  kick back.

Enjoy.

It has an Elmer Bernstein soundtrack for crying out loud!

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It's like using Glocks in a 20's gangster flick!:lol:

Or Henry BigBoy rifles in a series about the Pinkertons.

The movie "Broken Arrow", starring Jimmy Stewart, was a typical western story about whites and Indians in the southwest in the 1860's, with Cochise being a central character in the film. Cochise died in 1874. Here's a screen shot from the movie - see a problem here yet?

BrokenArrow.jpg

35 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

see a problem here yet? 

Heck yeah I see a problem.

That Winchester is a Marlin. :o

3 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

The movie "Broken Arrow", starring Jimmy Stewart, was a typical western story about whites and Indians in the southwest in the 1860's, with Cochise being a central character in the film. Cochise died in 1874. Here's a screen shot from the movie - see a problem here yet?

BrokenArrow.jpg

Just wait a darn minute. That's NOT a 92.

EVERYONE knows that all cowboys in movies use Colts and Winchesters only. That was another thing wrong with Comancheros. Lee Marvin's Colt was a Remington. :wacko:

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

EVERYONE knows that all cowboys in movies use Colts and Winchesters only. That was another thing wrong with Comancheros. Lee Marvin's Colt was a Remington. :wacko:

That's one good thing about modern westerns. The producers are trying a lot harder to include other period-correct firearms besides Colts and Winchesters. In the black & white and early color days all they used were Peacemakers and Win92s. Actually I'm shocked they used a real Winchester '73 in the Jimmy Stewart movie of the same name, in fact they even used one as a fake stand-in for a Henry.

Heck, that's nothing.

In The Man From Laramie, this gal, Aline MacMahon, had a Henry.

674710168_AlineMacMahonManfromLaramie.jpeg.8b9c08631e4f6008b58fc7c12cb21afb.jpeg

Not an Uberti Henry, either. They weren't around. Real Henry.

Once upon a time, in a magical land,  there was no such thing as Hollywood making a "bad" Western.

In retrospect....there were a whole lot of "bad" Westerns. And I mean a whole lot.

The Searchers opens up and it says 1865, they are using 92's and 73 Colts!!! 

The Rifleman uses a 92 also and that supposedly takes place in the 1870's!

How about that maniacal rifle that Josh Randall uses in Wanted Dead or Alive!:lol:

Western novel from 1970. The Iron Shirt.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6978690-the-iron-shirt

The hero carrys a Winchester 44 with a ten inch barrel, that holds 12 pointed steel bullets, that somehow don't set off the primers of the other rounds in the tube.

He needed the pointed steel bullets to get through the Iron Shirt. Lead bullets bounced off.

I feel like a lot of movie producers and writers get their gun "facts" from those guys that hang out in gun stores and talk about how a "45ACP" with throw a man across the room and how you "don't need to load a 12ga pump, just the sound of racking the slide is enough." 

Personally, I really appreciate all the research that goes into some of the more modern westerns to get reasonably period correct guns and gear, like the Coen Brothers' True Grit and Netflix's Godless.

Archived