SASS Wire Forum

Which vendors sell Miroku/Winchester '73s

McCandless

I'm looking to point a new shooter in the right direction.  Which of our Cowboy Vendors sell Winchesters?

Check with T-Bone!

3 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I know I've heard from many that they're match ready right out of the box.  Is that not true?

They are match ready out of the box, but from what I understand Carty makes the stroke even shorter and of course a little extra polishing from a good smith never hurt anything.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

They are match ready out of the box, but from what I understand Carty makes the stroke even shorter and of course a little extra polishing from a good smith never hurt anything.

So would it be fair to say that you can take one out of the box and to a match and run it without issues, but shortening the stroke and smoothing it out is recommended?

3 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I know I've heard from many that they're match ready right out of the box.  Is that not true?

Match ready is a relative term.  :)   Can you run it right out of the box at a match, YES!  Can I win a speed rifle side match with it right out of the box, No (I can't).   NOTE:  I said 'I' can't.  YMMV

For me, to move to the Miroku with the least learning curve, I needed it to be as close to my Uberti as possible (lever throw distance), have a super light trigger and as smooth.  Carty did all the above and then some.

I can now run the Miroku like I run my Uberti.

Totes

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

So would it be fair to say that you can take one out of the box and to a match and run it without issues, but shortening the stroke and smoothing it out is recommended?

well shortening the stroke further is a matter of personal preference. The one I've got(my son shoots it) has about a 3rd gen short stroke. I don't know if I'll have the one inbound shortened or not, but I do plan to shoot it instead of my Uberti week after next. 

That makes sense.  There have been some heated discussions on that subject, so I thought I would ask.  I've handled a few and thought they were nice but needed some work before I would take one to a match.

Tyrel, I also thought their stroke was comparable to a third gen, which is sufficient for me, it was the smoothness I would want to improve.

9 minutes ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

There is a difference between match ready and race rifle. 

That's a fair statement, but from my perspective if it isn't a race rifle then I don't want to shoot it in a match, which means it isn't match ready for me.  Different people, different standards for match ready.

People like you and Deuce could probably take a stock Uberti and whoop me easily, I need every edge I can get.

See if you try one stock and one slicked up.  See if the value is there and how much you're willing to practice to make the value pay off.  Good luck in making the decision.  Last weekend I grabbed my son's rifle ( a Palo Verde 5th gen) rather than mine (a Palo Verde 4th gen).  I was repeatedly jacking out rounds until I looked at the forearm and figured it out.  Even though they are the same length, they feel different.  I am sure that if I spent the time with the 5th I could get use to it.  As soon as I went back to the rifle I practice with, the problem stopped.  

My Miroku was better out of the box than any stock Uberti that I’ve ever owned. With just an action job my Miroku is easier for me to shoot fast than my raced and short stroked 73 and 66, and with a lighter carrier I know my Miroku would be even faster. Now I ain’t that fast a shooter but I have my moments, I’ve never broken twenty but I’ve brushed up against it a number of times, so I might not be the best measure of extreme performance of any rifle but for a mid-pack shooter who gets lucky every once in awhile my best luck has been with a Miroku.

From my perspective a gun is match ready if it's not going to hold me back from what I'm currently capable of. 

None of my current guns - Harlan Wolff 73, Jimmy Spurs Vaqueros and Fast Eddie SKB are holding me back.  They can all be run faster than I can run them, much faster.  The only thing holding me back right now is me.  For several years I plateaued and hovered in the 17-19 second range on a 10-10-4, depending upon the stage and movement, with an occasional 16, a few times even a low 16.  I need two more seconds (at least).  Recently I've started practicing again, mainly on pistols, since reviewing video has convinced me that pistol splits and transitions are currently where I'm weakest. 

If I were to shoot a box stock Miroku I believe I would go from rifle being my best gun to rifle being my worst gun, the stock Miroku would hold me back.  It's got a longer throw than a 5th gen and takes substantially more effort to lever than my current '73.  With me running it that extra effort means the barrel is going to move more and I'm likely to miss more often if running at top speed.  Yes, there are top shooters for whom that probably wouldn't matter, but I'm not one of them, as I said earlier I need every edge I can get. 

For a shooter who is (I hate the phrase) 'just there to have fun' the Miroku is probably match ready.  I want to win monthlys a little more often instead of hovering between 3rd and 5th, and it would be nice to finish in the top 10 at state matches instead of in the high teens.  I don't think a stock Miroku would help me do that.  So for me it's the best guns I can get and practice.

I'll need two more '73s in the next two-three years, buckaroo and buckerette growing up, my hope is that the Mirokus will be more widely used by then and there will be plenty of aftermarket parts and smiths who will work on them.  If so I'll probably buy two from Deuce and send them off to Cowboy Carty.

40 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

LOL, I have no use for that nasty stuff.  Now let me put on my flame retardant clothes.

reply deleted

I'm not angry at you CBB.  I just stated I didn't care if others disliked BP.  I deleted my post because it contributed to thread drift.  I've encountered people that like to avoid 'BP shooters.  Obviously you are not one of them.  Go forth and shoot.  I'd enjoy shooting with you whatever propellant we choose.

On 4/2/2019 at 1:38 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

Mine is stock except for the leather lever wrap. I see no need for anything else.  It ain't Cody or Longhunter fast/smooth, but it is good enough for me not to tweak it and my other rifles ARE Codys and LHs. 

Archived