SASS Wire Forum

How to use PractiScore for SASS

Sedalia Dave

This thread is not for posts bashing PractiScore. If you want to do that post somewhere else. This is a place to post helpful information to assist other shooters.  Please post any bugs here and report them to the developers at this link.   https://practiscore.on.spiceworks.com/portal/tickets

If you like PractiScore you can contribute to its development via their website.

I have een exploring the features of PractiScore (PS) and wanted to share what I have discovered. As I only have the Android version to test I do not know if all the features are available in the iOS version. Please post what you have learned here as well.

When you first build a match certain capabilities should be enabled.

To create a SASS match select add at the top right of the screen. Scroll down to SASS and click.

When the SASS subtype is selected  a screen will open that allows you to create global stage rules.

Enter the desired match name.

Next you have the option to enter a global maximum stage time or set the max time stage by stage.  To set a global time for all stages enter the time on the line and do not check the Use Max Stage Time box. To set it stage by stage check this box.  Either way this is the time that will be entered for the shooters score when a SDQ is awarded. It is also limits the maximum time that can be recorded for any shooter on a stage.  If the max stage time was set to 170 seconds and the shooters actual time was 173.86 seconds the system will record the shooters time as 170 seconds.  Keep this in mind if you have really slow shooters or Cody Dixon shooters as it will adversely impact their scores if it is set too low.

Haven't investigate the Secure Match option yet

If Enable Walk-ins is not checked Shooters that come late to a match cannot be added once the match starts. Enabling this feature facilitates shooters that are shooting through during a multi day match. 

Hidden Match hides matches that are uploaded to Practiscore.com. This feature requires you to register your club on the Practiscore Website.

If you register your club and have internet access during the match each device will upload every shooters score as it is approved. This creates a real time backup as the match progresses in case a device malfunctions or otherwise stops functioning.

I'll start at the top of the build stages screen and work my way down the form.

Stage name is self explanatory but to the right of the line is an icon that looks like a mountain. If you click on this you can add a diagram of the stage layout or take a picture of the actual stage. For clubs that include stage diagrams they no longer have to be a separate paper that can blow away in the wind. 

Strings: If is set to more than one it allows for each shooter to shoot a stage multiple times.  Not really applicable to SASS.

SDQ Value: Allows each stage to have a specific SDQ time if the box was check when the match was created.

Classifier and Squad rotation do not appear to apply to SASS.

Briefing:  All of the stage instructions can be entered here.

Walkthrough doesn't appear to be applicable to SASS

Once everything is entered click save and repeat for each stage. You can clone stages and then edit them as required.

When you go to enter scores and select a stage. The Stage diagram will be displayed at the top of the page if one was created.

To see the stage instructions click the document icon at the top right of the screen. The instruction and any stage diagrams will be displayed.

Will post more later as I have more time to experiment.

Another feature is that after a shooters scores are entered and before they are posted, the shooter gets the opportunity to review the score before it is posted.

Once approved any changes will be flagged by the system in a time stamped log that includes the original time and penalties along with why the score was changed.  For reshoots; penalties are not automatically carried over.

If the score was incorrectly entered for the wrong shooter the score can be reassigned to the correct shooter by selecting this as the reason for the edit.

These features are part of the transparency built into PractiScore to help eliminate changes after the fact.

Nice set of posts.  You have captured a lot of the details of using PractiScore for SASS.  Thanks!

One of the things I will be asking the devs to "fix" is the reports that group misses together with penalties.  I prefer to see the misses in their own column.  When I see a 10 I think of a procedural not two misses.  

One tip:  When creating stages I like to setup Stage one with all the pertinent information and then use the Copy feature to add the rest of the stages.  That way when I enter the SDQ value for the stage I don't have to re-enter it each time.   If a stage is different I can always go in and modify it but copy saves time overall. 

Archived