SASS Wire Forum

Ultrasonic Cleaner Recommendation?

Clay Watcherman

Looking for an ultrasonic cleaner to better clean my gun parts (pistol not rifle) and reloading dies.

Probably will not use it to clean brass as I wet tumble now with great results.

RCBS Ultasonic Case Cleaner and Lyman Turbo Sonic 2500 are the models I am considering.  (both on sale now)

I think the size of each unit is right for what I want to do but they do have  different features, timers, etc.    

Anyone have any experience with either model or other suggestions?

Thanks for the comments.

I went with the BestEquip 6L because the basket is big enough to hold a couple of pistols at a time. I bought it on Amazon.

I have the RCBS unit.  Works well and has been for a while.  I can fit one pistol at a time in it with the grip frame upwards.  Heats up quick enough and is easy to clean out with the drain valve and stainless steel tank.  Features are good and easy to use (time, temp, degas).

20 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I went with the BestEquip 6L because the basket is big enough to hold a couple of pistols at a time. I bought it on Amazon.

I bought the 15 liter and they are way cheaper on ebay. It has 6 sets of transducers and is definitely powerful. I used to wet tumble our brass but I like this a lot better. I don't miss having to separate the pins.

I haven't done a lot with cleaning my guns. I think I could do my long guns, half at a time. I've done a couple revolver cylinders. Last week I threw all the small parts of my 73 in with water and some degreaser (maybe a little too much). It worked a little too well as it took off the anodized coating on my aluminum carrier. Hard to tell but it may have also lightened the case hardening on the side plates. 

I have had good luck with the little Harbor Freight unit.  Won't fit the entire pistol, but works great for the small parts (cylinder, etc).  I use Simple Green as the solution when I run parts through it. I shoot smokeless powder.

NOTE: Careful with blued parts!

Totes

I bought a Harbor Freight unit and the heating element wouldn't come on. Took it back and got my money back - no questions asked.  Drove to Grafs and bought a Lyman that probably came off the same production line in China for more money. But it works.  

I have used it for cleaning the actions of old double barrel shotguns.  Worked fine.  Used Simple Green.

Archived