SASS Wire Forum

Multipurpose 1911

Juiceharp Jen

I need a 9mm target pistol for an upcoming match.  It’s a new type of match that involves 300-700 yard targets for AR and pistol targets up to 25 yards.  While I’m buying, I thought I’d see if there is a model that would be good for that and also wild bunch and maybe 3 gun, but mostly wild bunch.

you will need two - the three gun can couple with your 9mm if it suites your style and class - there is always power factor to think about , i would stay with 45 here as well myself [i did] particularly if your thinking of shooting heavy metal , check all the rules for each venue , 

but for wild bunch stay as traditional to the original 1911 as you can get , your loads are going to be totally different as well for this game , 

1 hour ago, Juiceharp Jen said:

Dont be hatin.  Where else would I ask about 1911s that can do double duty in 3 gun and wild bunch?

You could ask the question over at the WB forum perhaps? ;)

WB need single stack 1911.  Go modern and something like Kimber OR (optics ready) possibly.  Put the fixed sights on for WB, put a red dot on for 3 gun or whatever.  Really hard to get gear that w works in both sports without a lotbbof compromise.

Last time I did any 3 gun was locally and took my WB 1911, 1897 shotgun and a Thompson.  Actually beat a few guys with double stack wonder nines, scoped ARs and extended mag semi shotguns.

Since you want a 9mm for the new game, and Wild Bunch needs a .45, you'll need 2 different guns.   I can't offer any suggestions for the other game, but for Wild Bunch, and perhaps 3 gun, something like these would serve you well...

1911s.jpg.d6031ba3f3b5e06876a3eb008586c547.jpg

The top is about as authentic of a 1911 as you can get, it was made by Colt in 1913.   I used it at End of the Trail about 3 year ago.   Nothing like shooting a 100 year old plus pistol in competition.  It's fun.

The middle is another Colt, made in the 90's as a replica of the original 1911.   Shoots very nice.

Of course, these are both 1911's, and they have the "classic" problem the hammer biting the web of your hand.   This can be solved with a pistol like the bottom one, a 1911A1.  This one is made by Remington Rand in 1943.   A most excellent pistol no matter how you slice it.

Another difference of note is that the 1911 tends to shoot low if fired one handed.  That's why the 1911A1 has the arched grip.   But if you shoot 2 handed, the 1911A1 tends to shoot high.  Has something to do with the way the pistol fits in the hand when held with one or 2 hands. 

All that being said their are pistols on the market today that have the flat grip of the 1911, but the extended tail of the 1911A1, so you can get pretty much whatever you want.

Good luck.

Does the new match allow hi-cap 9 mm pistols?  If so you will be at a disadvantage shooting a 1911.  All the mag changes you will make with a single-stack 1911 will slow you down.  Many of the newer 9 mm hi-cap pistols have an adjustable grip so very large and very small hands can be fit.  Buy a 1911 when you start shooting Wild Bunch.  Used 1911s are not too expensive (and are a joy to shoot).

I agree with the others on buying two guns. But you’ve got to start with the first one first, yeah? So I’d figure out which game you’re most likely to play first or most often and get that gun. If it’s wild bunch, then get the 1911 first and use it in the other game. If it’s the other game, check to see if your local wild bunch allows 9mm in what some call “mild bunch”. If so, then get that one first. I don’t shoot wild bunch very often, but the local clubs are pretty open with allowing gun exceptions at first just to get you in the door. Mine lets me use my 87 for the shotgun. 

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Does the new match allow hi-cap 9 mm pistols?  If so you will be at a disadvantage shooting a 1911.  All the mag changes you will make with a single-stack 1911 will slow you down.  Many of the newer 9 mm hi-cap pistols have an adjustable grip so very large and very small hands can be fit.  Buy a 1911 when you start shooting Wild Bunch.  Used 1911s are not too expensive (and are a joy to shoot).

There is no optic or mag cap limit for this new game, so I guess I will get something computerized that talks with lasers and so forth.  They do not allow AR pistols, but I could get any pistol caliber gun.

JJ, from what I've seen in modern action shooting sports, lasers are not too helpful when shooting in daylight.  However, red dot sights are and many of our shooters use compensators.  I prefer 124 grain 9 mm loads as they take down steel target reliably.  Most are shooting factory 9 mm ammo since it is available at near the cost of reloading.  Have fun with your new match.  Most any form of shooting competition is enjoyable.

If you want the 1911 platform, check out this:

https://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911Target/specSheets/6759.html

Mine shoots great, minimal recoil with 9mm. I just use it for fun, not competition, but it would serve for USPSA/IDPA.

JC

Only 2 guns??? four would be more like it. I mean...you need a backup for both...

JuiceHarp Jen ;

Does this New Game require a .9mm , or can you use a .45 ???

If so just buy a 1911 in .45 ACP with 5 inch barrel and use it in all 3 games .....

And don't let the Wire Grumps scare you away ....

Jabez Cowboy

There are a lot of clubs that have a category for 9mm in our area.  I've seen anywhere from a 2011 to a star b shot.  I'd check with the club your shooting at and see what they allow. 

Oh, I forgot to mention, for a 9mm pistol, I recommend the Browning Hi Power.   It's the only one I know of that has a single action trigger and a 1911 style cocked and locked safety.   Of course, the standard magazine capacity is only 13 rounds, I don't know if ones that hold more are available or not.

For a "high capacity" 9mm, I'd likely go with a Beretta 92FS, simply because it's the only one I have at the moment.

On a 1911, I'd much rather have one in .38 Super than 9mm, but that's just me.  :)

18 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Uh... This is the SASS forum.

I think the poster was looking for advice from SASS members who compete in other shooting sports. I also believe I have seen SASS clubs throwing WB shoots mentioned on this forum?  Not sure why you have never made the same comment as above when either those posts were made or when others have mentioned WB equipment requirements?  Do you begrudge him this community’s opinion and advice?  Does that mean that nothing other topics to do with SASS and only SASS can be posted?  

Sorry, I see someone being possibly rude to a poster I question it. 

1 hour ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

I think the poster was looking for advice from SASS members who compete in other shooting sports. I also believe I have seen SASS clubs throwing WB shoots mentioned on this forum?  Not sure why you have never made the same comment as above when either those posts were made or when others have mentioned WB equipment requirements?  Do you begrudge him this community’s opinion and advice?  Does that mean that nothing other topics to do with SASS and only SASS can be posted?  

Sorry, I see someone being possibly rude to a poster I question it. 

Read the Wire guidelines.

Or are you just looking for a fight:lol:

I shoot both 2gun and 3gun matches and the most popular pistol to use is called a 2011.   This is a 1911 that holds about 20rds of 9mm in what is called a double stack magazine.   This however is not the only choice out there.   As stated above there are glocks,  M&Ps, sig, springfield and many others that hold about 20 rds or can be made to hold that many.  You can use a 1911 in 45 cal but you will need a lot of magazines and will be doing a lot of magazine changes.   Non of the guns mentioned above are legal for WB,  the single stack 1911 in 45 acp is the only pistol allowed if competing in a state match or higher.   Like mentioned above there are NO good choices that work for both.   You need to buy two guns.  Bullett 19707

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Read the Wire guidelines.

Or are you just looking for a fight:lol:

No I figured you were looking for one!  And I thought this forum already had people to monitor content, so as it is probably stated in the guidelines as well, let them monitor the content and let the other readers of the forum answer the man’s question for advice?  Sound good?:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

No I figured you were looking for one!  And I thought this forum already had people to monitor content, so as it is probably stated in the guidelines as well, let them monitor the content and let the other readers of the forum answer the man’s question for advice?  Sound good?:rolleyes:

I disagree... And weren't you trying to "moderate" my input? :lol:

Anyway, yes if the real moderators think that this type of post on the SASS Wire is Okie Dokie that's fine with me. I was just stating my opinion.

Phantom

Archived