SASS Wire Forum

How long does a crime scene stay a crime scene?

Alpo

Let's say if somebody goes into room 17 at the no tell motel, and shoots the occupant graveyard dead. Room 17 is now a crime scene.

When can the owners start renting by the hour again?

The book I'm reading, the local cops told the owner of the business that she could not have her business back (or, for that matter, her residence, since she lived over the business) until the murder was solved. That didn't seem right. We had a murder here in the mid-80s. They still haven't solved it. It would really suck to not be able to get back into my place of business or my house for 30 or 40 years. :P

The police can secure a scene as long as necessary to process it for evidence.  They must maintain a physical presence to maintain custody.  Once the last police officer leaves the crime scene (private property), they have lost custody and control of it and will need either permission or a search warrant to reenter and process for further evidence.

The only crime scene that I know of that was secured for years was the case involving the military doctor who killed his wife in military housing.  That scene was sealed by the military for years until they finally sent him to prison.

11 hours ago, Alpo said:

Let's say if somebody goes into room 17 at the no tell motel, and shoots the occupant graveyard dead. Room 17 is now a crime scene.

When can the owners start renting by the hour again?

The book I'm reading, the local cops told the owner of the business that she could not have her business back (or, for that matter, her residence, since she lived over the business) until the murder was solved. That didn't seem right. We had a murder here in the mid-80s. They still haven't solved it. It would really suck to not be able to get back into my place of business or my house for 30 or 40 years. :P

You’re still plotting the perfect crime?

5 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Shouldn't that be "shows first commercialS"

Technically, it should be "show ' s first ...".

Possessive. Requires an APOSTROPHE.

On 3/31/2019 at 7:22 PM, Alpo said:

Technically, it should be "show ' s first ...".

Possessive. Requires an APOSTROPHE.

Except for "its".  Putting an apostrophe on makes it a contraction of "it is".  

English is easy.  You just have memorize 10,000 exceptions to rules.

After it is photographed, videoed, the remains is hauled away, and all evidence is collected, they release it.  Depending on how many victims and how gruesome the scene is, it usually takes 48 hours or less. Depending on what the crime scene is.

Archived