SASS Wire Forum

Making Camp

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

1. I don't know what plastic wrap costs where they are but that's a lot more that $5.00 where I live.

2. The envirofreaks would have a conniption in most U.S. areas.

3.  Just exactly is that mess he's brewing in the skillet?

4. How come I can open and enjoy this, but some of your videos won't play for me?

5. That really is a clever shelter, but I would never have a need for one like it.

2 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

3.  Just exactly is that mess he's brewing in the skillet?

Looks like he starts with something like headcheese, adds some eggs, paprika, other spices.

5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

4. How come I can open and enjoy this, but some of your videos won't play for me?

This one is from Youtube.  The ones you have trouble with are ones that I get the URL from Facebook.  Your system seems to have trouble with playing the videos that are embedded in Facebook.

Another guess for headcheese,     Kind of wonder if a tent would be about the same weight as that roll of plastic they used for the shelter plus reusable.   Really thought the stove was clever.     GW

I think the roll of plastic is pallet wrap.  It appears to have the same properties, size, sticking to itself, etc.  That wouldn't be as expensive as food grade wrap. 

Interesting.  Thanks.

A good backpacking tent would be a whole lot lighter than carrying all that saran wrap, nails and tools.  The stove is a neat idea but kind of heavy for carrying too far off road.  And if I have road access, I'll stick with my camper.  A lot to be said for a mattress and a microwave.

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Looks like he starts with something like headcheese, adds some eggs, paprika, other spices.

Not sure if I would ever eat that or if someone already has.

This one is from Youtube.  The ones you have trouble with are ones that I get the URL from Facebook.  Your system seems to have trouble with playing the videos that are embedded in Facebook.

Could it be because I don't do Face Book and never will?

The stove is really cute but not big enough for a much larger tent.  Sparks from the chimney, at least with the wood in this part of the world, would melt a few holes in the structure.   Plastic sweats (captures moisture) so the walls would be wet and perhaps drip.  If you could build it double walled like a plains Indian tepee would probably mostly eliminate that.  They did have a sharp ax and knife.  I think I'll find out about that stove though for horse camping it would be nice. 

Archived