SASS Wire Forum

Pizza delivery

Rye Miles #13621

Title says it all, as I was walking in my neighborhood I saw a Mercedes 4 door (not sure what model) parked in a driveway with a Dominos Pizza sign on the roof!!

REALLY???

It just struck me kinda weird!:o

Howdy,

I know a number of Mercedes owners.

Once the new wears off the resale plunges and the repairs climb.

They depreciate faster than most would ever imagine.

A friend of mine bought the car of his dreams.

Not his corvette not this and not that but a amg Mercedes.

A couple years later he tried to sell it for a third of new price.

He offered it to me and I just laughed.

He put it on the internet and learned a lesson about depreciation.

Honda Toyota oor mazda.

I even knew a Mercedes factory trained mechanic who drove Dodge.

rant off.....

Best

CR

My father in law lamented how expensive parts are ... 

In other parts of the world, where it's common as fleas on a hound dog, it's as ubiquitous as a Chevrolet -- because the rest of the world recognizes quality, and because there are more parts available more cheaply.

A dear friend is from Malaysia and he said the most common taxi is a Mercedes.

A parson of my acquaintance is prior military, served in Germany, bought a Mercedes over there and Uncle Sam kindly shipped it back when he was rotated stateside.

The only Diesel pump in three counties was the Shenandoah Truck Stop on I-70 near Cambridge, so he'd wheel over and fill up ... one evening a trucker was feeding his Kenworth, he came curiously between the pumps and frowned at my friend's vehicle and when the Parson shut it off and climbed out, the trucker cautioned him, "Friend, you'd best check your oil, them valves is a-rattlin' somethin' fierce!"

My buddy got a good tickle out of the observation, and a lot of mileage out of the story!

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Title says it all, as I was walking in my neighborhood I saw a Mercedes 4 door (not sure what model) parked in a driveway with a Dominos Pizza sign on the roof!!

REALLY???

It just struck me kinda weird!:o

Could have been the kid driving their folks car and it was the only one available that night.

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

In other parts of the world, where it's common as fleas on a hound dog, it's as ubiquitous as a Chevrolet -- because the rest of the world recognizes quality, and because there are more parts available more cheaply.

A parson of my acquaintance is prior military, served in Germany, bought a Mercedes over there and Uncle Sam kindly shipped it back when he was rotated stateside.

The only Diesel pump in three counties was the Shenandoah Truck Stop on I-70 near Cambridge, so he'd wheel over and fill up ... one evening a trucker was feeding his Kenworth, he came curiously between the pumps and frowned at my friend's vehicle and when the Parson shut it off and climbed out, the trucker cautioned him, "Friend, you'd best check your oil, them valves is a-rattlin' somethin' fierce!"

My buddy got a good tickle out of the observation, and a lot of mileage out of the story!

My sister and bro-inlaw were in Italy a coule years ago and the people there said they didn't understand why Americans go crazy for Mercedes, He said "We have 'em for taxi's over here!":lol:

Saw a Porsche Cayenne around here a couple of times..........complete with professional pool cleaning equipment mounted on the back and magnetic signs on the doors advertising the business. Must be a helleva payout for pool cleaning.

23 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

The only Diesel pump in three counties was the Shenandoah Truck Stop on I-70 near Cambridge, so he'd wheel over and fill up ...one evening a trucker was feeding his Kenworth, he came curiously between the pumps and frowned at my friend's vehicle and when the Parson shut it off and climbed out, the trucker cautioned him, "Friend, you'd best check your oil, them valves is a-rattlin' somethin' fierce!"

When living in married quarters, there was a Major down the street that had a Mercedes brought back from Germany, You could hear him coming a half a block away, click, click, click, click, click, click

23 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

About the oddest pizza delivery vehicle I have seen was the kid delivering pizzas in a gas powered 80’s vintage Chevrolet dually when gas prices were over $4 per gallon.

I asked him why he was driving that thing and he said it was all he had. I gave him s big tip to help him pay for gas.

When I was in Europe in the '80's, Mercedes taxis were everywhere.  As I understand it, Mercedes courted the taxi industry, making D and E series sedans available specifically equipped for taxi service, including utilitarian interiors, smaller engines and taxi hardware.  Sort of like the Checker cabs.  Not like the plush over-equipped luxury models sold in the US.

Add to that a different attitude among many European car owners; they seriously maintain their vehicles, with frequent servicing and lots of TLC.  If you start with a well engineered German car and a diesel engine, and add careful care and maintenance, they will run forever.

LL

After a few years and a bit mileage, they require maintenance like anything else. Unfortunately, that's VERY expensive, especially for all the "luxury" items that fail. An across the street neighbor bought a '90s vintage SL for not much money. Thought he got a deal. It bled him white with parts and repairs until he got rid of it. The convertible top alone was as complex as the Space Shuttle and a frequent source of frustration as part after part failed.

I don't think many people buy them new. They lease them and turn them in before repairs become mandatory. I see a lot of former luxury cars that have become junkers. Perhaps this kid had one.

On 3/30/2019 at 7:51 AM, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

In other parts of the world, where it's common as fleas on a hound dog, it's as ubiquitous as a Chevrolet   True

-- because the rest of the world recognizes quality  Not necessarily 

and because there are more parts available more cheaply. There ya go

A dear friend is from Malaysia and he said the most common taxi is a Mercedes.    Same in Germany

When I was stationed in Germany a friend bought a used Mercedes. We had to push it down the hill to get it going every morning.

Quality. :lol:

I non-op'd my '83 204D last year.  Thirty five years old with 330k the clock... still ran fine, was comfortable and got good mileage. 

Neighbor's pit bull busted out one day, went after my cat, cat scrambled to the roof, dog proceeded to rip the grill and lamps to shreds.  Wish I'd been home... dog would have been DRT.  <_<

I get all the Mercedes bashing but my OP meant that despite what you think of Mercedes they're a damn expensive vehicle to be delivering pizza! Maybe the payment on it is so high that the poor person is working 3 jobs to pay for it!:lol:

Archived