SASS Wire Forum

Squibs

Cutthroat Cody

this didn't happen to me but I did witness the following, I was timing for a shooter with .38 pistol and the first round hits steel but the next 4 didn't (he then grounded and declared the gun). Next gun + rifle and shotgun rounds hit steel. At the unloading table the shooter discovers a squib peeking out of the end of the barrel. The shooter tried to clear the squib but couldn't so he packed up and left. After a few days this shooter came up to me and told me THOSE 4 rounds were in the barrel of the gun! Talk about the grace of god

He needs to pack up & go home, or borrow some good ammo.

He is a danger to everyone on the line.

--Dawg

ROII handbook, page 8:

Multiple squibs by a shooter will be cause for the Timer Operator to request the shooter change ammo.

most revolver squibs I've  seen dont clear the cylinder, thereby locking up the gun.  I guess his had a little more oomp than just the primer? My GUESS is all 4 rounds were underpowered, thereby not enough power to damage the gun.  had he had a full power load in #s 2,3 or 4 likely would have been a much different outcome.  I occasionally shoot with a guy that uses a rifle with a 24" barrel. About 3" from the end it has a bulge.  I heard a guy comment that it looked like a snake that had swallowed a frog! TOs, Spotters and especially shooters need to pay attention! 

3 hours ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Some of the shooters have down loaded their ammo so much, I think if they pointed the gun to the sky, the bullet wouldn't make it out of the barrel.   Squibs waiting to happen.

Especially in cold weather......

OLG

I have a 1911 barrel somewhere that I cut the long way with 8 bullets in the barrel. CAS shooters use such low pressure loads that revolver damage is extremely rare. Especially with Rugers.

That's why I was never a fan of the loads you could practically see going downrange. I like to get "feedback" from the pistol. Not the "Dirty Harry" recoil that makes the muzzle point skyward. Just enough of a push to let me know it went downrange.

The few squibs I have had though, I knew it immediately.

My loads with 125gr are running right around 740-750 fps, which will either give me a nice ring of steel, or a distinct thud when it hits the berm.

4 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

I have a 1911 barrel somewhere that I cut the long way with 8 bullets in the barrel. CAS shooters use such low pressure loads that revolver damage is extremely rare. Especially with Rugers.

+1 I'm NOT in any way trying to downplay the safety issues of this by any means but I saw a gun test where they stacked 5 -7, 357 Mag factory loads in a barrel doing a stress test before it finally bulged the barrel. I think it was a S&W or Ruger? Anyway it was quality revolver..... Maybe I'll look for the link.

Most people having squibs in SASS aren't even using 3 grains of powder so that's no 357 Mag. 

We had a shooter yesterday with 3 squibs on one stage.  One in his rifle, one in his first pistol and the final one in his second pistol.  Fortunately he and the TO both immediately knew they were squibs.   

Too bad for him it was shotgun first as every squib was the first round 'fired'.  20 misses. Luckily he had a box of ammo from a different run of reloading and finished the match with no more squibs. 

Our Posse Marshal and Match Directors have always stressed, (OK hounded) spotters to stay on their toes and watch not only the steel, but the berm behind the steel for impacts.

Some people thought this was going overboard, but from the above, it's apparent this is not the case.

Thanks for being cautious Pard.

OFF Topic but still pretty funny....At the range where I'm range supervisor, a few years ago....A fellow showed up with a brand new 22-250 rifle. Being a new gun I was interested to see how it shot. He loaded, pulled the trigger, and the gun made a sound like a pellet gun! He said he couldn't

hit the target only 50 yds away. I told him to shoot again.....When he did, about 15 feet in front of the bench I saw the gravel move. He did it again with the same result. He told me he was using reloads and loaded them himself. I asked how much powder...he said "32 grains of 6064......."   "I counted them myself".........He said he used tweezers!!!!!

If you cannot see the miss then it is a hit.  Just kidding:o.

Archived