SASS Wire Forum

Barbershop Version of National Anthem

Marshal W. Hill

Are there any CAS shooters out there who are also Barbershop Harmony Society members?  If so, are any of you planning to go to Winter Range in 2020, and would you be interested in asking to sing the National Anthem for the opening ceremony?

I'm a baritone with the High Mountain Chordsmen in Prescott, AZ.  Would need at least one each tenor, lead, and bass; more if there are enough interested.  The N.A. is something we all should know as we probably all sing it at our meetings. 

Let me know if there is an interest.

Actually, this is how our learning tracks for songs are done.  Usually just one guy who has the range to sing all 4 parts, and then re-records till he gets them all done.  I'm hoping there are some other Barbershopper/Shooters out there who can do this with me.

Just when you think you have heard the SSB every way it can be sung here comes this! Fantastic! That guy can really sing! SCJ

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, Marshal W. Hill said:

Actually, this is how our learning tracks for songs are done.  Usually just one guy who has the range to sing all 4 parts, and then re-records till he gets them all done.  I'm hoping there are some other Barbershopper/Shooters out there who can do this with me.

Wow, I did not know that and I am impressed by it.  Now, I can sorta cover a wide range, I can't go as low as Harold Ried or as high as Jimmy Fortune, the base and tenor from the Statler Brothers, and still sound good, but I can sing along with their recordings in the privacy of my car.  I guess I'm more in the "lead" range, and I can't sing a part to save my life.   If I try anything other than the melody I get hopelessly confused.   But for someone to have the range to sing all four parts, and sing them well is just an incredible phenomenon to me.   I never would have guessed that it was at all common in any way.

And don't try to tell me that the Statlers weren't a barbershop quartet.   Yes, the were country thru and thru, but listen to their harmony.  It's barbershop.   Unlike say, the Oak Ridge Boys, who may be in four part harmony, but they ain't barbershop.

Archived