SASS Wire Forum

Another new(er) shooter question about clothes

John Hangman Ruth

Howdy folks! I started shooting CAS late last summer and have been having a blast! I only have 4 (monthly) matches under my belt, but I look forward to shooting a lot more this year. I've been lurking here for about 6 months or so and have learned a ton about the game, so thanks to all that share their knowledge!

I recently (finally) got all my cowboy clothes and have a question about the pants. Particularly about pants leg length. So far I've noticed that most old west pants come standard 36" inseam. For those of us who wear a 30 or 32 inch inseam, how did you shorten your pants legs? Do you just stuff them in your boots? Did you have them altered? Double sided tape home hem? Just roll them up and shoot?

I'm just curious what everyone else does to make their pants fit. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

I have a local seamstress shorten and hem them. She charges $7.00 per pair. I wear mine inside my boots.

I have mine taylored and then stick them inside of my boots.

10 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I have a local seamstress shorten and hem them. She charges $7.00 per pair. I wear mine inside my boots.

You can have the seamstress hem them a little shorter than normal since you will be wearing boots.  This keeps them cleaner.

I wear 34 x 36 pants, so I don't hafta do nothin'!  Although I do usually put them inside my boots.

18 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Wait...y'all wear pants? I thought I felt a breeze in my chaps!

I am not the pard you want to see in a loin cloth! :o

I appreciate the responses! I guess I'm going to have them altered. I don't have tall boots, so it's either roll them up or have them altered professionally I suppose.

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Ain't you watched any old John Wayne B westerns?  His cuffs were about 8" tall.

I have seen some genuine old west photos that show pants rolled up when not tucked into their boots. 

3 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Ha!  You just THINK you have all your cowboy clothes.......  :D 

I know what you mean! I should say, I finally have an outfit! Haha

I've already been shopping for another outfit. Can't shoot the state match with just one set of clothes, huh? At least that's what I'm telling the wife!

7 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

As these historically-correct pants usually only have one back pocket, I had the cut-off bits saved and turned into the other pocket.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

For some odd reason...This thread got me thinking of a Randy Newman song...

Can't quite place it...

Phantom

Shawt People

7 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I wear 34 x 36 pants, so I don't hafta do nothin'!  Although I do usually put them inside my boots.

34 waist and 36 inseam? No wonder they call you "Slim."

to fit my girth the inseam is to long so I just cut mine off and tuck inside my boots, to keep them from riding up I use my gators that I wear for duck hunting under my waders.

10 hours ago, John Hangman Ruth said:

how did you shorten your pants legs?

Get a wife who sews. 

Alternative: go to a sewing/craft store & buy washable/dryable hem tape.  Turn pant leg to the inside at the desired length.  Iron in the new hem line.  Cut off all but about 1 1/2 inch of the excess.  Fold the cut edge to the new hem line.  Apply the hem tape between the pant leg and the turned-down portion.

Cot them the length I want then zig zag the edge so it dose not Ravel, much more comfortable when tucking in the boot

On 3/29/2019 at 11:29 AM, Tennessee williams said:

Wait...y'all wear pants? I thought I felt a breeze in my chaps!

Front, or back?

Archived