SASS Wire Forum

Top 5 reasons for Annual Matches

Bushy Blonco

What are your top five reasons for attending annual matches? 

Here are some I've heard:

Seeing old friends

Broader competition 

Making new friends

Chances to win buckles and awards

Different and fun stages

Side matches 

Dinners & campgound activites

Swap meets

Vendors

More time to visit with friends

Fun theme

What else gets you there and makes you glad you came??

Most of the above rolled into one item:   Match Reputation.

But to make sure I don't insult anyone/venue, there are DOZENS of great reputable matches

that I can't attend due to distance and of course, $$$.

..........Widder

I like seeing different ranges, scenarios and folks. Been hard this year and last due to job changes. Been staying close to home

win guns!  I've won 7 over last 2 years at raffles or shooter prizes!!!!!

But in reality, I like seeing old friends, making new ones.  I doubt there is a 200 mile radius in the US that I could not call on a cowboy friend whom I've either met in person, or  "know" on the SASS wire, if i had a broke down vehicle or needed some help in some way.  

Since we usually camp at the multiple day events, we enjoy the social aspect as much as the shooting.  Many times it's only at these annuals that we get to see some folks.

In no particular order:

1. Meeting new Cowboys & Cowgirls

2. Experiencing different ranges and scenarios

3. Enjoying a mini vacation, because hey I'm not working!

4. After the shoot hanging with new and old pards shooting the bull.

5. Any day throwing lead down range is a good day!

Top five reasons:

1. Location

2. The camping experience with friends

3. Match reputation for MY KIND of fun

4. Ease to get to match.

5. Local points of interest..... that interest me.

I try to support the clubs that support us. THAT is the best why to ensure that this game survives. Clubs that fail to realize that and don't support their neighbors will sooner or later wither and die.   

Way back in the dark ages, about 1998 or so, I was informed that a club was required to host an Annual Match and that the club was also required to purchase a 1/4 page ad in the Chronicle to promote it.

I dont know if that was true at the time, or maybe the policy has changed, but there is a space on the club affiliation  application  for the details of the annual match.  And in order for a club to get SASS prize support for its match it must be advertised in the Chronicle as limited to SASS members only. You can find the details in the information on club affiliation.

So all that is to say the main reason to have an annual match is because SASS (may) require it as a condition for affiliation.  This is not to disparage any of the other reasons posted; annual matches are great fun!

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Way back in the dark ages, about 1998 or so, I was informed that a club was required to host an Annual Match and that the club was also required to purchase a 1/4 page ad in the Chronicle to promote it.

I dont know if that was true at the time, or maybe the policy has changed, but there is a space on the club affiliation  application  for the details of the annual match.  And in order for a club to get SASS prize support for its match it must be advertised in the Chronicle as limited to SASS members only. You can find the details in the information on club affiliation.

So all that is to say the main reason to have an annual match is because SASS (may) require it as a condition for affiliation.  This is not to disparage any of the other reasons posted; annual matches are great fun!

You can have a club annual without any tie in with SASS.

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The requirement for the Chronicle Ad was for SASS Sanctioned Matches, i.e. State & Above.  Club Annual are not required to be held, and the matches do not have any specific requirements for advertisement.

in general, clubs put a lot more effort into their annual match in terms of better props, better stage setups, additional activities, and they usually have more shooters than their monthly matches.  They typically draw shooters from farther away and, at least in my experience, provide an opportunity to experience Cowboy Action Shooting with a different flavor than what you get at your home club or clubs.  It is also a chance to shoot with people you might otherwise never meet in person, only online.  This year, at match in Florida, my wife and I had the opportunity to shoot with Ol' #4, T-Bone Dooley, Ellie Gant, and others from other parts of the country.  Some we had met before, others for the first time.  When we go to these away matches, we rarely ask to shoot with anyone but ourselves just so we get the chance to meet others.  It is the best way to make new friends with folks who all share a common interest.

State Championships and above are usually just a further extension of that, all the way up to Winter Range and EOT.  My advise is "Don't look for a reason to go to an annual, look for an annual you want to attend, and just go.  You won't be sorry!"

There are plenty of reasons for individuals to go to annual matches. For the clubs themselves, especially for smaller annual matches, I think it starts as a way to celebrate cowboy shooting and that the club exists in the first place. A little extra fun once a year.

I have so many girlfriends and they all can't come here..... SOoooooooo.... I have to go to them......

Support friends Clubs 

Break monotony 

Mini family vacations

Shoot

Get away from work

On 3/30/2019 at 4:46 PM, Matthew Duncan said:

From the Shooter's point of view or the Host(s) point of view?

Good question, thanks.

I'm looking for the shooter's point of view.

The Pozo River Villagance Comittee at Lazy Arrow (my home club) is holding our Fourth Annual Lazy Arrow ShootOut, and we want to make it a great time for as many shooters as possible. Check out our Video  (featuring yours truly). So far we're hitting most of what's been mentioned here; plus our range is in the middle of a 32,000 acre working cattle ranch, and our Sherrif has his own herd of American Bison that we get to enjoy. Come way out West and shoot with us! 

Archived