SASS Wire Forum

Where to buy new Winchester 73 mainspring

Thunder Creek Kid

11 minutes ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

Title says it all. Anybody know of a source for em?

Miroku or Uberti?

FYI I checked with Mr. English of The Smith Shop and he told me at the present time it is not cost effective for him to have springs made for the Miroku Winchester 73. The Uberti spring will not work either.

12 hours ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

Title says it all. Anybody know of a source for em?

Here's a comment from an old thread with phone numbers.

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/261810-which-1873-miroku-or-uberti/&do=findComment&comment=3407482

I'm gonna give 'em a call myself.

1 hour ago, Cemetery said:

Here's a comment from an old thread with phone numbers.

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/261810-which-1873-miroku-or-uberti/&do=findComment&comment=3407482

I'm gonna give 'em a call myself.

Thanks for the info but I called Browning/Winchester and  they informed me that they do not have any and don't know when they might see any.

They were very helpful but just don't have any. Was hoping there was an outside source for them.

8 hours ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

Thanks for the info but I called Browning/Winchester and  they informed me that they do not have any and don't know when they might see any.

They were very helpful but just don't have any. Was hoping there was an outside source for them.

Sell it!! Get an Uberti!! I'm not a fan of the Mirokus because of the problem you're having!

54 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Sell it!! Get an Uberti!! I'm not a fan of the Mirokus because of the problem you're having!

No way. I really like mine! Remember what it did to you this year at Tusco January 5th, 2019??

19 hours ago, D.A. Stranger said:

FYI I checked with Mr. English of The Smith Shop and he told me at the present time it is not cost effective for him to have springs made for the Miroku Winchester 73. The Uberti spring will not work either.

I sure hope this changes soon. I have a 73 Miroku that I would love to slick up some.

The springs that come in the Miroku made 73's are excellent and actually take to tuning very very well. Unlike the Ubertis they are not over sprung with ill fitting low quality springs. What are you trying to accomplish with a new spring?

1 hour ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

No way. I really like mine! Remember what it did to you this year at Tusco January 5th, 2019??

That was LUCK buddy, remember I had a SDQ!!!!!! :o

5 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

The springs that come in the Miroku made 73's are excellent and actually take to tuning very very well. Unlike the Ubertis they are not over sprung with ill fitting low quality springs. What are you trying to accomplish with a new spring?

I don't want to mess up the only one I have. I would like to lighten it up.

1 hour ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

No sir. If'n I remember correctly you ate five rounds in your beloved Uberti!!

At the last match there it wasn’t the Uberti it was a split case! :P

How do you know they don't have the replacement parts? Because someone said it? Call Winchester yourself. If they are short on parts its not because they break often its because they don't. If they don't have the part how long is the wait to get it?

I've have and have had both and there is no comparison, hands down the Winchester is of better quality inside and out. Its a Ford Chevy and Ram thing, whatever you own you are loyal to. The only reason aftermarket manufacturers make parts for Uberti is plain and simple, we need better parts than Uberti makes or is able to make.

One other thing, the Winchester comes from the factory short stroked, almost as short as allowed by SASS rules. Miroku has re-engineered some of the weaker parts to make the rifle bullet proof. Uberti is still using the same old designs from the 1800's. Soft pins and low quality springs are a thing of the past with Miroku guns.

2 hours ago, DDD, SASS 28309 said:

How do you know they don't have the replacement parts? Because someone said it? Call Winchester yourself. If they are short on parts its not because they break often its because they don't. If they don't have the part how long is the wait to get it?

I've have and have had both and there is no comparison, hands down the Winchester is of better quality inside and out. Its a Ford Chevy and Ram thing, whatever you own you are loyal to. The only reason aftermarket manufacturers make parts for Uberti is plain and simple, we need better parts than Uberti makes or is able to make.

One other thing, the Winchester comes from the factory short stroked, almost as short as allowed by SASS rules. Miroku has re-engineered some of the weaker parts to make the rifle bullet proof. Uberti is still using the same old designs from the 1800's. Soft pins and low quality springs are a thing of the past with Miroku guns.

I believe there is some truth in that comment, but it's not entirely accurate.  We modify our rifles extensively and that is also a reason there are so many parts available. Also some of the parts that are available are not simply better made replacements for the originals, they're of a different design, springs, links, firing pins, sights, many of those are built for Cowboy shooters.

I've handled a few and they're nice, but based on eyeballing it and working it a bit I would say the lever throw is roughly equivalent to a third gen C&I and the rifle is fairly smooth.  Much better than a raw Uberti, but a far cry from a Harlan Wolf Uberti with a 5th gen C&I kit in it.

I have no doubt Miroku is building a good gun, but if there's a long wait for parts, or they're only available from one source I'm not interested.  Hopefully that will change soon.

7 hours ago, DDD, SASS 28309 said:

I've been shooting Uberti 73's and 66's for almost 20 years, .45Colt, .44-40 and .357 and I have never had a problem with spring or pin.!!!

I have a number of Uberti 73's built by popular 'smiths.  I also have a Miroku that Carty built for us recently.  After shooting the Miroku, I am a convert.  I ordered another one for me so that both the wife and I will shoot Miroku's.

The only (very minor) complaint I have is there is not a straight trigger for the Miroku, but I can transition back to the curved trigger profile.

Totes

11 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

I have a number of Uberti 73's built by popular 'smiths.  I also have a Miroku that Carty built for us recently.  After shooting the Miroku, I am a convert.  I ordered another one for me so that both the wife and I will shoot Miroku's.

The only (very minor) complaint I have is there is not a straight trigger for the Miroku, but I can transition back to the curved trigger profile.

Totes

If they continue to catch on hopefully aftermarket modifications will become more widely available.

7 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

If they continue to catch on hopefully aftermarket modifications will become more widely available.

Absolutely. I bought a Jeep Wrangler back in 2008. At the time, the YK model had only been around for a year and there were literally three after market parts available. Today I can get anything I want and plenty of things I’d never even thought of. When the new Winchester’s first came out, everyone said they wouldn’t be around long because there were no parts and nobody worked on them. Pioneer gun works even told me they’d never work on them because they have way too much invested in working on ubertis. Low and behold pgw now makes a short stroke for them. 

5 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Absolutely. I bought a Jeep Wrangler back in 2008. At the time, the YK model had only been around for a year and there were literally three after market parts available. Today I can get anything I want and plenty of things I’d never even thought of. When the new Winchester’s first came out, everyone said they wouldn’t be around long because there were no parts and nobody worked on them. Pioneer gun works even told me they’d never work on them because they have way too much invested in working on ubertis. Low and behold pgw now makes a short stroke for them. 

PGW only has small caliber kits left and pretty sure they're not going to make any more of either size.

7 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

I hope they’re successful. In the next 2-3 years I will need to add at least two 1873s to my collection and it would be nice to have options other than just Uberti.

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

PGW only has small caliber kits left and pretty sure they're not going to make any more of either size.

Perhaps. But it is interesting that they made them when they said they never would. Where there’s a market, someone will step up and fill it. 

13 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Absolutely. I bought a Jeep Wrangler back in 2008. At the time, the YK model had only been around for a year and there were literally three after market parts available. Today I can get anything I want and plenty of things I’d never even thought of.  

You bought a Fiat......:P

The last Jeep was made in 1986. :lol:

OLG

15 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You bought a Fiat......:P

The last Jeep was made in 1986. :lol:

OLG

Actually Fiat hadn't bought the company yet. Jeep thought they might go under, so they offered me a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty. Yeah I'll never sell that vehicle.

Oh I forgot to add that the last time I dropped my jeep off for service, under warranty of course, it was at a fiat dealership and they gave me a loaner. An Aplha-Romero of all things. Had that car for a week. Jeep under Fiat isn't all bad haha

Just now, Redwood Kid said:

Actually Fiat hadn't bought the company yet. Jeep thought they might go under, so they offered me a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty. Yeah I'll never sell that vehicle.

Fiat was still call'n the shots then as CHY wanted them, to buy'em

The only reason CHY bought AMC, was to use the Jeep name.

But-Buy then the 'bean-counters' were run'n AMC deep into the ground with stupid.

I will never sell my CJ-7 that I bought new in March of 1985.

It's still my DD.

OLG

Archived