SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron El Malo?

Buckshot Dobbs

Well I’ve decided to buy a pair of Colt clones, and i went into my local gun store, and looked at a few and one they had there was the Cimarron El Malo. I didn’t know anything about it but i liked how it felt. So i called Cimarron to make sure it didn’t have any goofy safety stuff in it like transfer bar or retractable firing pin and they were nice and said it didn’t. Well on their site it is listed under “value” six guns?? Anyone know why it would be considered anything lesser quality or something than any other Cimarron six gun? And I was about to order a pair of EMF GW 2’s when this one caught my eye. How you folks think they compare?

BD

I've got a pair of them in .45LC and I love them.  Nothing fancy, just a good clean gun with a very smooth action.  My only complaint about it would be the hammers, I would prefer the lower hammer horn like on the "runnin iron" series.  I could change out the hammers but I don't feel like spending $200 on new hammers. 

The El Malo is a standard Pietta Frontier model with an octagonal barrel.  I don't know why Cimarron would list them on the "Value" page, since they actually cost a little more than the standard Frontier (due to the octagonal barrel).  It does make sense that the Pietta Pistolero be on that page because it has a brass grip frame and so costs less.

Archived