SASS Wire Forum

Do all Uberti 73 do this ?

Tulrosa Mike

Last weekend I was shooting at Trailhead and was having trouble with the last cartridge getting stuck on the rim when trying to raise the carrier because the last cartridge is angled instead of straight. When I was checking for the cause of this I also noticed another issue which appears to be unrelated. That is that on every stroke (even when unloaded) when the bolt was moving forward there was a spot where the movement forward took more effort on the lever than I thought there should be. I took the side cover off of the side opposite the loading gate and found that the underside of the toggle length on that side was grazing the carrier lever as the link stretched foreword. This was where the friction was coming from. I took everything apart and examined all parts of the action and nothing seems to be worn or broken. I got the gun about 2 yrs ago to retire my original 73 (made in 1886) that I had been shooting for 20 yrs. The newer rifle is from Taylors and all parts are factory except for the extractor which I replaced. It is a 38/40 like my original except it has a 20” barrel instead of a 24” one. I looked in the action of the old rifle and the link clears the carrier lever by about 1mm and does not want to hang up like the Uberti. This may have been happening all along but I am wondering if they are all made like this? I am attaching pictures of both rifle actions and you can see the difference

thanks,

Mike

D54F469F-8385-45E3-BB89-C38A1EECBCDE.jpeg

AA2713E2-BD14-4B2B-BD15-11AEFE745E72.jpeg

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Easy fix I use emery cloth and I also like a bit of gun grease. Just the way I do it I am sure you will hear all the many ways to correct this.  ;) :FlagAm:

No they are not all made incorrectly.  But that one of yours with interference between link and lifter sure is machined wrong.   Thinning the lifter is safe at that contact point.

I'd get rid of those heavy lifter and lever springs - replace with whisper or smith shop springs.  They will be easier to run and easier on the wear they put on the lever cams.

last cartridge getting stuck on the rim when trying to raise the carrier because the last cartridge is angled instead of straight.

This could be a poorly shaped loading gate mortise.   If you mean the last cartridge to be shoved into the mag tube (first one to feed) tries to sit at an angle in the carrier before you raise the carrier as you close the lever.   The fix is to properly bevel the frame at the opening where cartridges are loaded through the loading gate.

Here's a link to see how to fix the shape of the frame's mortise:

Open the link "Model 66 & 73 frame modification to improve feeding of the first round" on this tech info page from Pioneer GunWorks:

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/technical-info/

Good luck, GJ

If I read your description correctly ..... when you speak of the "last" cartridge  you mean the last or 10th cartridge loaded.  That cartridge is cross wise in the Carrier Block and the rim sticks at the back of the carrier block Mortice??  If that is the case, it is a simple fix.  Your rifle should have a nice tasty little bevel at the back wall of the mortice.  Sounds like the bevel is either missing or two shallow.  Correctible with a file in 10 minutes.

Where the Link is dragging on the carrier block arm, simply run the carrier block arm flat over a piece of 220 Wet/Dry on a flat surface.

looks like Garrison Joe may have been quicker on the draw

Yep.  GJ was quicker.  I also STRONGLY suggest dumping the OEM lever side springs.  Mu recommendation though, is for a set of SlixSprings.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. At first I was going to relieve the place where the two (toggle and carrier arm) parts were coming into contact but I was curious if anyone else had experienced the same kind of thing. When I first got the rifle I smoothed out some by comparing it to the original 73 where it was not functioning well. I must have missed the link issue. I did address the issue like the rim of the last round loaded hitting the mortise when being elevated and at that time I filed the mortise to form a bevel like the other rifle and did not have that problem any more until last week so I will have to go back and take a look at that again. It is frustrating that these clones have to have so much work done them given the amount that they cost nowadays. I spent twice as much for the Uberti as I did for the Winchester 22 years ago.

Thanks,

Mike

Archived