SASS Wire Forum

What do you call your tennis shoes?

Alpo

And do you always call them that?

I wear sneakers. Don't matter if they're canvas or leather, if they tie, vecro or slip on. They're sneakers.

I understand what people mean when they wear jogging shoes or running shoes or cross trainers. But I don't wear any of that.

I'm currently reading a mystery, taking place in Australia. The author is Australian, as is the hero. She leaves home one night wearing joggers. Two paragraphs later she is wearing trainers. Then a page later she says that "at least in that section of town you won't be knifed for your runners - at least not mine".

Three different terms for the same pair of shoes in two pages.

i've always called them tennis shoes ever since I was a kid! That's what everyone called them! I even called them that when I actually played tennis!!!:lol:

The left one is Frank. The right one is Harry. :P

Actually, I call mine sneakers. Every great once in a while I will regress and call them tennis shoes. That is what we called them as kids. In high school we called them Gym Shoes. I started calling them Sneakers after high school. No idea why.

Since all I have are running shoes, I will typically call them "running shoes." If I am speaking generically, I will typically say "sneakers," but on occasion, like Pat Riot, will revert to "tennis shoes."

14 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

By their use... biking shoes, jogging shoes...I don’t play tennis.

Its the red sparkles on yours and the continuous clicking of the high heels that drive me crazy.

Tenny shoes mostly (I don't play tennis, so they can't be tennis shoes).  Sometimes sneakers, but that's only if I'm wanting to change up my word usage. 

The closest I come to playing tennis is racquetball.  I wear boaters for that because that's what I wear to the gym these days. 

21 hours ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

I call them "something I do not own".

16 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

My what?  

I don't think I've had sneakers in 30 years.

14 hours ago, G W Wade said:

No idea.  Own nothing but boots       GW

I'm with you guys. I have my everyday (modern) Cowboy boots, my steel toed work boots, my Cowboy Shooting boots, and slippers.:P

I think I have a pair in the back of the closet. Maybe 15 years old. Hey, maybe they’re collector’s items now!

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I thought a boater was a flat brimmed straw hat.

I might be calling all of my shoes by the wrong name. 

I wear my safety tips on job sites and pretend they're steel tips.  My work boots look like safety tips but aren't.  Sometimes I wear my doc marten motorcycle boots to work, but I aint got a motorcycle.  I wear my mud boots hunting.  My sandals aint got a strap between my toes.  What I call my 'regular shoes', I'm pretty sure are supposed to be hiking shoes (though if I was hiking, I'd want more shoe than that).  Also, they're not very regular. They got holes in the bottom and sides that are supposed to be there. 

The boaters are canvas low tops that compress small enough to fit into the gym bag.  Maybe they're supposed to be called deck shoes.  But to me a deck shoe are those shoes you can swim in. 

Archived