SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Left and Right handed

Col Del Rio

Is there a SASS category for shooting two-handed but using Lefthand for one pistol and Righhand for the other? It would seem that this is more challenging than shooting strong hand / strong hand. 

12 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

With smokeless it's called gunfighter.   With black powder it's frontier cartridge gunfighter. 

It looks (to me) like the question was whether there is a separate category for ambidextrous "Traditional-style" shooters; which would be NO...BICBW.

Two handed shooting style – aka “Traditional,” or shooter holds a single revolver with two hands. 

SHB p.45

A shooter could do that in any category that does NOT require Gunfighter, Duelist, or Double Duelist shooting style.

I have heard this called "Double Traditional" and No, there is not a category for it.

You are just more talented doing it this way :D!! I shot this way before I switched to Gunfighter.

1 hour ago, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

I started out that way because I could and shot in the Duelist Category for many years.  You could also shoot in the Gunfighter Category as you do Not need to shoot both at the same time.

You're referring to "Double Duelist" style.

Shooting "two-handed" aka "Traditional" isn't allowed in either of those categories.

7 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

There is no special category.  I did the same thing when I started.  By the end of the second match I was shooting double duelist instead.  Not too long after I was shooting funfighter and never looked back. 

Josey Wales frontier cartridge gunfighter.   Even more fun! 

I'd like them to put up a big heavy target a 50 yards and let me shoot my 50-70 Trapdoor Springfield instead of shotgun targets. 

32 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Only if you want to hit your targets. 

Not necessarily.   We shoot with a lady that's right handed.   Shoots right handed.  But is left eye dominate and she does well - even shoots clean matches on occasion.  

Once upon a time I shot whole matches left-handed to try to learn to do it.  This was before there was such a thing as gunfighter, and I just wanted to shoot double duelist style.  But no matter how much I practiced, I couldn't hit the desert left-handed, and I gave it up.

19 hours ago, Col Del Rio said:

Is there a SASS category for shooting two-handed but using Lefthand for one pistol and Righhand for the other? It would seem that this is more challenging than shooting strong hand / strong hand. 

If I understand the question, you are asking about shooting traditional, (two-handed), but shooting one pistol with your right hand, thumb the hammer with your left, and then holding the next pistol in your left hand and thumb the hammer with your right?  No, not a separate category, but you can shoot that way if you want to. 

I believe you'd have a hard time convincing the territorial governors to vote in a new category just for that.

Just jump to Gunfighter! Wished I would have long before I did.

You're already half way there.

8 hours ago, Col Del Rio said:

I shoot left eye left hand, right eye right hand.  Just the way I learned.

I think I might try gunfighter.

I think you will be surprised how natural it feels for you. At least that's what I found.

Just don't get discouraged. It will take some time for it all to come together. Enjoy it!!

BTW, I leave both eyes open when shooting pistols.

I used to try to leave both eyes open, it just didn't work for me.  Then I tried closing one eye and it worked better but took me too long to shoot.  Now I close both eyes.  I shoot faster and so far as I can tell, I never miss.

PS don't believe them lyin spotters. 

First time I shot that way they changed my category to "Double Duelist" instead of Grizzled Geezer or whatever I'd signed up under.
(That wasn't the category, I just thought it sounded like fun)

Next shoot I signed in under Double Duelist and was told it wasn't an actual category so I think I just shot Duelist.

I think I'll go back to Grizzled Geezer and shoot double duelist.

A style by any other name.

Archived