SASS Wire Forum

Lookin’ for a cornbread recipe...

Well these are from the batch I served.

I decided that since cornbread was so foreign to their pallets, I should not be to adventurous and I would make mini muffins. Seriously I was ready for nobody to like them.  I made several batches, experimenting and shortening the bake time trying to get the effect I wanted.

i wanted the brown, black is bad, brown is good. So many of my attempts were just blonde on top. This recipe included shredded cheeses.

i could give you the recipe...but better if I share the techniques used. Copy the recipe and you won’t have as good a result but learn the technique and you will have something like it, though it might not appeal to a southern palette.

take your favorite cornbread recipe as far as ingredients are concerned, assuming your recipe has a cup of buttermilk and a cup of cornmeal, using a jar one pint or larger ad a cup of buttermilk,then a cup of cornmeal, mix vigorously. If your recipe has different measures, adjust accordingly.  Now look at your recipe, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt.  Mix it as welll as you can with a fork or something. Beat your eggs, add melted butter or oil or bacon fat as you wish, sugar or honey. These are your wet ingredients.  

Now i I add the dry ingredients to the wet. Don’t worth about precision with the fractions, it’s just something that’s in my DNA.  Add 1/6 (some) of the cheese to the wet batter, 1/3 of the dry then 1/6 of cheese to the wet batter and stir, repeat, repeat until all cheese and all flour is incorporated.  The whole purpose of the three step mixing is to make sure you don’t get huge clumps of something.

now you want to bake it.  I use a mini muffin pan and a purple disher, it makes the perfect muffin, 7minutes at 400° But they are too blonde on top.  Sooooo.... I set my oven to bake 400°F put the muffin tray on the bottom shelf for 6 minutes,take the tray out, reset the oven to broil, spread butter on the top of the muffins, put on the top shelf for 90 to 120 seconds right under the oven coils, push back in the oven, leave the door open a bit so the broiler soes not shut off and I get the result I want.

brown is good, black is bad.

003FD156-B4ED-41AD-A919-39A6E2A0B316.jpeg

F9233ED4-2EDA-4491-9E01-4878CC0B5EC0.jpeg

On 3/27/2019 at 11:35 PM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I'm lazy, making from scratch too much PITA, and yes, it's good with green chiles too.

JHC

a392e265-cdcf-4d81-8818-d6fc6e991633_1.3

I'm with you there , Capt.  I grew up eating cornbread an average of three times a week back before mixes were invented , so am not a newbie to it. I check the ingredients list to make sure it has zero sugar , or as close as I can get. Will not buy any with 2 grms or more. 1 is bad enough.

Rex , who's childhood diet was mostly cornbread and pinto beans. Often. :D

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

purple disher

Let me open by saying I really like the way you wrote that out.  Very easy to follow.

But..

What the heck size is "purple?"

https://vollrath.com/Standard-Length-Color-Coded-Squeeze-Disher-1685.htm

I'm not seeing "purple."  You have "orchid" and "royal blue" but no "purple."  Maybe a #40 disher?

On 3/27/2019 at 6:41 PM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

place a 10 inch cast iron skillet on the stove top on low heat with just enough cooking oil in it to cover the bottom

You don't have to set it on the stove.  You're preheating the oven, aren't you?  Just set it in there while you mix the cornbread.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:00 PM, MizPete said:

I gotta go with the Curmudgeon on this one.

Nope. He's got sugar, too.  

2 hours ago, MizPete said:

You don't have to set it on the stove.  You're preheating the oven, aren't you?  Just set it in there while you mix the cornbread.

Yeah, the pan preheats on the stove while  I mix everything up. I don't start until the oven is up to temp.  One reason I do it that way is that it gives the cornbread a crisper crust.

6 hours ago, MizPete said:

4 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

One reason I do it that way is that it gives the cornbread a crisper crust.

Bingo!  You can get it much hotter on the stove than in the oven.

My mother's cornbread recipe

Cornbread

Makes 9 servings

1 ½ cups Quaker yellow cornmeal

3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 ½ teaspoons baking soda (not powder)

1 teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoons shortening (Crisco in can, not oil)

2 cups buttermilk

1 egg beaten

Sift together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.  Melt shortening in 9 inch square baking pan or 10 inch oven-proof skillet (cast iron is the best) in preheated very hot oven (450 degrees).  Add buttermilk and egg to dry ingredients, stirring to combine.  Add melted shortening from pan to the batter.  (If it’s hot enough, it will sort of sizzle when it hits the mixture.  It needs to be HOT.  Melt the shortening while measuring and mixing the dry stuff and mixing the wet stuff.)  Stir to mix.  Pour batter into very hot pan or skillet.  Bake in preheated oven (450 degrees) for 20-25 minutes.

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Bingo!  You can get it much hotter on the stove than in the oven.

But not too hot. 

I set the stove on low and it stays on the stove only as long as it takes to mix the ingredients.  Once the ingredients are mixed, the batter goes immediately into the skillet and the skillet goes into the oven

Archived