SASS Wire Forum

Lookin’ for a cornbread recipe...

Buttermilk is an absolute necessity.  Mrs. Hangtree has a great recipe that also uses mayonnaise in it.  It really makes a difference.  Soon as she gets home, I'll post the recipe.

Oh, and there is no other cornmeal than Martha White.

I learned from Momma and Grandma.  They didn't measure, just worked by eye and I never bothered figuring them out.

A Tupperware coffee cup and a half of cornmeal (White Lily or Martha White) mix

(the Tupperware coffee cup at the house has been there almost as long as I have, so I got me one for my cornmeal, too)

2 eggs

cooking oil

buttermilk

preheat oven to 500 degrees.

place a 10 inch cast iron skillet on the stove top on low heat with just enough cooking oil in it to cover the bottom

mix a full coffeecup of cornmeal mix with 2 eggs and enough cooking oil to just cover it.  When fully mixed, add buttermilk until it's too thin  add the half a cup to the mix until it's almost as thick as cake batter

pour it into the preheated skillet and immediately place in the oven for 12-15 minutes (depending on how crunchy you like the crust on your cornbread).

2 boxes of jiffie mix, one can of creamed corn, two eggs,well beaten, jalepenos or cayenne to taste. 1/4  cup of ham and 1/4 cup of finely chopped sautéed onions.,1/2 cup of grated cheese. Grease the pan with bacon fat. 400degrees preheated. Bake till golden brown.

See how this goes

1c. corn meal

1c.  a.p. flour

1 tsp baking powder

pinch of salt

1/2 c butter

1/3 c brown sugar

2 tsbp honey

1 egg

1 c. buttermilk

Cook in preheated 10 cast iron skillet at 400* for 20 mins                      GW

Here ya go... a "make this and don't look back" recipe.  ;)

World's Best Cornbread 

1 C yellow cornmeal

1 C all purpose flour

pinch salt

1/2 C butter or margarine

2/3 C sugar

2 eggs

1 C buttermilk

1/2 t baking soda

Mix dry cornmeal, flour, and salt in large mixing bowl and set aside.

Melt butter, remove from heat, stir in sugar.  Beat in eggs.

Add baking soda to buttermilk, then stir into butter mixture.

Fold in dry ingredients, stir only for coarse consistency.

Pour into well greased pan, bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

GW Wade was lookin' good until all that sweet stuff -- belongs in dessert, not cornbread.  I gotta go with the Curmudgeon on this one.

Cornbread pizza is the best thing you'll eat. 

Make up your batter like you want. Pour half of it in your skillet. Put a half pound of browned hamburger meat, half pound of browned sausage, green peppers, cheese (really anything you want) on top of the 1st half of batter. Then put on the other half of the batter. Cook it like you do all cornbread except the last 5 minutes I sprinkle cheese on top. 

This is really good with a little pinto bean juice on top of it.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your tongue slapping your brains out trying to gobble it down, nor for the amount of weight gained.

Corn. I forgot that I put corn in mine too.

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

Cornbread pizza is the best thing you'll eat. 

Make up your batter like you want. Pour half of it in your skillet. Put a half pound of browned hamburger meat, half pound of browned sausage, green peppers, cheese (really anything you want) on top of the 1st half of batter. Then put on the other half of the batter. Cook it like you do all cornbread except the last 5 minutes I sprinkle cheese on top. 

This is really good with a little pinto bean juice on top of it.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your tongue slapping your brains out trying to gobble it down, nor for the amount of weight gained.

And wash it down with a Strawberry Shake from DQ.

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

GW Wade was lookin' good until all that sweet stuff -- belongs in dessert, not cornbread.  I gotta go with the Curmudgeon on this one.

Make it that way because that"s the way the WIFE likes it.   I rest my case  ,  served with my DO baked beans..     GW

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Here ya go... a "make this and don't look back" recipe.  ;)

World's Best Cornbread 

1 C yellow cornmeal

1 C all purpose flour

pinch salt

1/2 C butter or margarine

2/3 C sugar

2 eggs

1 C buttermilk

1/2 t baking soda

Mix dry cornmeal, flour, and salt in large mixing bowl and set aside.

Melt butter, remove from heat, stir in sugar.  Beat in eggs.

Add baking soda to buttermilk, then stir into butter mixture.

Fold in dry ingredients, stir only for coarse consistency.

Pour into well greased pan, bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

Thanks.  You do it the cheffy way, sugar is a wet ingredient. Mix all dry, mix all wet, combine.

i will start with this, want to add herbs (easy) and honey (less sugar).

9 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

How about the GREEN CHILI's...

Largo

Mixed into the cornbread?  I might like it.  Unfortunately I am making this for some folks who might not appreciate chilis.

8 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

How about the GREEN CHILI's...

Largo

Don't forget the sardines!:P

Set your oven to 425.

Put a black iron skillet, 9" or 10", on the stove over medium heat.
If you don't have buttermilk, pour about 1 1/2 cups of sweet milk and clabber it with about 1 TBS of vinegar of some sort. Otherwise pour 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk into a large measuring cup.

Scoop about two cups of cornmeal into a mixing bowl.  put in between 3/4 of a cup and 1 1/2 cups of AP flour.  Add  in about 1 TBS kosher salt, the same of baking powder, and a little baking soda. Mix it all together.  

Throw about 1/4 cup of butter or bacon grease into the hot pan.

Mix two eggs into your milk.  Add that to your meal/flour mix and mix well,  add the melted fat.  You may need a little more liquid, you want a batter about like pancake batter.

Pour it into the hot pan and pop it into the hot oven for about 20 minutes, until the top is golden brown and delicious

On 3/27/2019 at 10:35 PM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I'm lazy, making from scratch too much PITA, and yes, it's good with green chiles too.

JHC

a392e265-cdcf-4d81-8818-d6fc6e991633_1.3

Martha White~!!  :rolleyes:

SDJ's is pretty close to the recipe my sister sent me awhile back for hers. I've yet to try to make it myself, but hers is about as close as I've gotten to my mom's.

Her recipe:

Cornbread Recipe

Secrets:  The key "ingredient" to successful cornbread is a well-seasoned iron skillet. Keep skillet blazing hot with a little extra melted shortening to get that wonderful golden crisp crust. Of course, don't let the shortening smoke and burn. I always start by having the dry ingredients measured and the liquid ingredients ready to go.

4 tbs vegetable shortening

2 cups self-rising white corn meal mix

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Heat shortening in skillet and tilt to coat the skillet. Mix dry ingredients. Add milk and egg; mix until blended. Add melted melted shortening; mix well.  Pour into hot skillet. Bake 20-25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Turn out quickly onto a heat-proof plate.

And yes, I have one of my mom's well-seasoned iron skillets that she gave me. Of course, I've never mastered making any of the dishes she gave it to me for. 

A friend of mine used to make exceptional Southern style cornbread. He would make it in a cast iron skillet. I don't know all the ingredients but one of them, and I kid you not, was 1 cup of bacon grease. 

17 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

A friend of mine used to make exceptional Southern style cornbread. He would make it in a cast iron skillet. I don't know all the ingredients but one of them, and I kid you not, was 1 cup of bacon grease. 

Bacon grease is an old standby. But boy, a cup is quite a lot unless you're making a whole bunch of cornbread. Be hard to taste the corn.

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Bacon grease is an old standby. But boy, a cup is quite a lot unless you're making a whole bunch of cornbread. Be hard to taste the corn.

It was a rather large skillet and he grew up on Southern cooking in Tennessee. He could whup up some amazing dishes. I miss his cooking but not the weight gain. ^_^

6 hours ago, DocWard said:

SDJ's is pretty close to the recipe my sister sent me awhile back for hers. I

It's just what I threw together from remembered recipes.  I might, if I want a lighter, more of a dessert cornbread, use equal portions of AP flour and cornmeal, might even add a touch of sugar.  
I'm usually not very exacting with my measurements, just quickly scoop a cup into the meal and flour.  Measure the rest of the dry ingredients in my hand.  

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm usually not very exacting with my measurements, just quickly scoop a cup into the meal and flour.  Measure the rest of the dry ingredients in my hand.  

I envy that talent.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

When I did that I was challenged, grabbed a spoon measure and was spot on.

My wife called me on it once.   I had her watch as I measured out and verified 1 tsp and 1 TBSP  each of salt,  soda, and baking powder.   If I was off, it wasn't by more than a sixteenth of a tsp on any of them. 

I use the recipe on the back of the Martha White Hot-Rize cornbread bag. Now, if you want to make fried cornbread, add a little extra liquid (buttermilk, milk or water) to thin the mixture a little. Then cook like pancakes on a hot griddle. And...…………………..NO SUGAR!!!! Goes real good with a bowl of chili or soup.

1 cup yellow corn meal

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 dup milk

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening

preheat over to 450 degrees F

In a large bowl combine cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder. Stir well

measure the buttermilk and  milk in a large beasurinc cup, add the egg and stir with a fork, then add baking soda and stir.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX!

Melt 1/4 cup of the shortening and slowly add it to the batter, stirring constantly until just combined.

In a cast iron skillet over high heat melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of shortening

Pour batter into the hot skillet

Spread to even out the surface, then cook on stovetop for 1 minute

Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.  edges should be crispy

enjoy,

Duffield

Archived