SASS Wire Forum

Concrete walls on a shooting range.

T-Bone SASS #36388

T-Bone isn't talking about a block (cinder block) wall. He's speaking about 30" thick solid concrete blocks. They are the blocks that are made of left over concrete brought back to the batch plant in the concrete trucks. A typical dirt berm 8 feet high is three times wider at the base, which equates to 24 feet wide. The NRA recommends 8 inch thick 8 feet high concrete walls between shooting bays. For every 50 foot wide bay with dirt berms it actually takes up 75 feet. With concrete, one can build 3 bays in the same space it would take to build 2 bays with dirt berms. Concrete is used at many ranges including law enforcement and obviously indoor ranges. I'm sure the sound issue could be resolved just as it is in a stadium, arena, or auditorium. 

T=Bone, try a couple out and see how they work. 

I shot at one club that had earth berms as well as concrete, much preferred shooting the earth berms better because of the echo from the concrete.

My home club had earth berms then switched to wood which went from 3 bays to 5 really nice sized bays.

The wood consists of 6x6 posts with 2x6’s screwed horizontally on both sides of the posts then filled with gravel, they have worked well and not noisy. The downside to either wood or concrete is that you can’t have shooting into side berms which we were not allowed to do anyway. 

AO

I would suggest that if you have those big blocks as a backstop, that you bank sand up in front of them.

Sand catches the bullets that miss.

Sand will keep the concrete back wall from getting damaged.

Sand is easy to "clean" if you have EPA issues of recovering lead frag.

Sand is easy to pile back up when it erodes down from rain & shooting.

Sand is pretty cheap (here anyway).

Down side:  You won't see much of a bullet splash on misses.

MG

(who does not own a quarry)

They ain't authentic cowboy (but neither are electronic timers).

It's hard to get the Mexicans to pay for walls.  :P

Ok thanks y'all. I have decided to do something else with the Range money  and a a work day.  Nuttin has volenteered to take on electric lead man, Reckon has the plumbing covered, Marshall Jack is in charge of Carpenters, this should get very interesting before the end of the project. NO concrete walls due to Ranch Hands wanting a shower house and new sit downs for the women's. New workday is scheduled and we invite everyone to come help finish the project.

Archived