SASS Wire Forum

Just saw a bald eagle

Trigger Mike

I was looking out my back window toward my pond and saw a large bird circling and at first thought it was a vulture due to its size verses the hawks around here.  Then it swooped lower and I saw a flash of white on the head as it soared.  I got real excited.  I had thought I had seen one before near my pond and someone in town had told me there was indeed a bald eagle in the area and the Georgia Wildlife Dept confirmed there is over 100 nest in the area of the 5 coastal counties in south Georgia .  As the eagle soared suddenly it dove into my pond and stayed just a second then came back up again.  I saw a second one in the distance circling the trees.  He must have missed the fish as he came back up and circled.  Then he swept fast by the house near my two chickens that I let roam the yard since they stopped laying.  I keep the laying birds penned, these peck at eggs so they have to stay elsewhere.  Such a large and beautiful bird.  I yelled for my daughter who we are home schooling until we get her problems figured out and yelled for my wife to look.  They continued to circle around the area and areas nearby.  Super excited.  

We see them here right in town several times a year. Up north we see them every trip almost. Glad you got to see them. Makes your day for sure.

We see them passing through every spring and fall.  One year we had one that hung around all winter.  Heard Canada Geese yesterday, must be spring.

There are several nesting pairs about 20-30 miles south of me but I never saw any locally. Last spring I threw a groundhog that I had just shot out into the hay field behind my house. The turkey vultures will usually take care of them within a couple of hours. I thought I might get some good photos of them so I hid in my pickup with the back window open and my camera with a long lens. I wasn't there very long and I saw a large bird take off farther down the field. Yep, it was an eagle. Got a pretty decent quick shot of him.

6478.jpeg

There's a family of them about 5 miles from here in the woods on both sides of the freeway! I see them perched on top of trees sometimes! They're awesome!!

Here is a picture of one of the ones hanging out near Escondido Fish and Game where the Bandidos shoot.

074A4BDD-5671-4A37-A994-F4A846AE8F8A.jpeg

They nest along the Federally protected Black River near unto my workplace, and commonly perch behind the sludge press building.
One of 'em said to his buddies "Hold my beer and watch this" and then buzzed me ... I was walking from our up-the-hill primary works, to my usual TAOR down below ...
When something with a wing span wide as I am tall sails overhead near enough I could have reached up and swatted it flat footed ... and dead silent ... well, it startled me, and I am not in the least little bit ashamed to admit I did an infantryman's dirt dive, I proned out on the pavement and I swore most heartily at the shirt buttons that held me so far off the ground!

Archived