SASS Wire Forum

Open Carry

Rye Miles #13621

I got a good pard, cowboy shooter, concealed carry guy, NRA member and I was surprised at his reaction to a discussion we had about OPEN CARRY. He stated that if he saw someone open carrying he would call the police! Mind you now, Ohio has had OPEN CARRY since the 1850's!!! It's perfectly legal to do it here! I was shocked that he was so against it! I asked why would you call the police on someone when he's not breaking any law? He said that anyone that carried openly needs mental evaluation!! :blink:

Thoughts??

Rye

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That seems a bit extreme. 

We can carry open here and nobody seems to even notice.

I choose not to open carry. If I need it I want it to be a total surprise when it comes out. On a motorcycle sometimes it gets exposed but I notice a LOT less tailgating! If someone open carries that's their choice. I just hate the guys that do it to look like a bigshot. See that too often. Camo pants, combat boots, never served. You've probably seen the type.

8 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I choose not to open carry. If I need it I want it to be a total surprise when it comes out. On a motorcycle sometimes it gets exposed but I notice a LOT less tailgating! If someone open carries that's their choice. I just hate the guys that do it to look like a bigshot. See that too often. Camo pants, combat boots, never served. You've probably seen the type.

I find that type annoying and to be part of the public perception problem. JMHO

RYE,

After a couple calls to the Police,  they will stop responding to his calls OR..... they will warn him

to stop being such a worried and bothersome citizen.

Kinda give me the thoughts of Gomer running after Barney hollering "Citizens Arrest".

..........Widder

Howdy,

I hear some states allow open and conceal carry with no paperwork.

Anyone know which these are?

Probably Alaska.

Best

CR

7 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Probably Alaska.

Best

CR

Vermont?? 

16 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Probably Alaska.

Best

CR

Vermont:):FlagAm:

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

He said that anyone that carried openly needs mental evaluation!! :blink:

Thoughts??

Rye

Sounds like your friends needs mental evaluation. 

These are the same thoughts as second amendment "supporters" that believe you should only be able to own guns they approve of. 

I prefer concealed carry, but I have no problem with those that use open carry.  I think open carry is a real deterrent when practiced at a jewelry store or gun shop.

On the street, I don't want people to know I'm carrying.  In the two times I've had to deploy a handgun in a possible robbery attempt/mugging, both perpetrators were totally surprised and turned tail and fled.  I was more than happy to let them exit. 

Police officers open carry. Does he call 911 on them?

What's this guy's problem? We have enough real anti-gun folks looking for a reason to lord over people. Supposed gun folk like your associate do NOT need to be part of the problem.

I know a guy who years ago had an FFL  but would not only not join the NRA and other Pro-Gun organizations, but would verbally bash them. I called him out on this many times. He eventually came out of the closet and turned into a political liberal and he now says people should not have guns although his huge safe is still full of all sorts of toys. No idea where he got brainwashed but he's someone NOT to trust anymore and I have known him for 26 years and worked with him for 15. I now consider him one of those folks looking for an opportunity to use a "red flag law" on anyone he can. He is against open and concealed carry.

I recently suggested he might be happier in New Zealand.

Calling the police on an open carrier who's just minding his own business and not breaking the law could very well get him shot and killed. It's called "swatting", and in my opinion it should be a high misdemeanor at the very least. If he feels so strongly about it then he should contact his representatives, not do something stupid and dangerous just to get the guy into trouble.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Police officers open carry. Does he call 911 on them?

What's this guy's problem? We have enough real anti-gun folks looking for a reason to lord over people. Supposed gun folk like your associate do NOT need to be part of the problem.

I know a guy who years ago had an FFL  but would not only not join the NRA and other Pro-Gun organizations, but would verbally bash them. I called him out on this many times. He eventually came out of the closet and turned into a political liberal and he now says people should not have guns although his huge safe is still full of all sorts of toys. No idea where he got brainwashed but he's someone NOT to trust anymore and I have known him for 26 years and worked with him for 15. I now consider him one of those folks looking for an opportunity to use a "red flag law" on anyone he can. He is against open and concealed carry.

I recently suggested he might be happier in New Zealand.

That guy reminds me of Hanoi Jane and her congressman former husband , Tom Hayden, in California years ago.  They were burglarized and they reported several guns were stolen. The detective taking the report wondered aloud at their owning guns but publicly opposing gun ownership.  

Their reply was, “Oh! That’s for regular people!”

I’ve found that most liberals are only liberal when it comes to everyone else!  For their own part it’s, “I! I! Me! Me! Mine!”

2 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’ve found that most liberals are only liberal when it comes to everyone else!  For their own part it’s, “I! I! Me! Me! Mine!”

Without expounding politically too much, I know one extremely liberal individual who only owns dreaded "assault" rifles but does not want anyone else to own them. Go figure. It's the elitist "do as I say and not as I do" attitude. 

I live in an open carry and constitutional carry state. I think I can count maybe only 9 or 10 times where I have seen somebody open carrying in the general public. When I spot somebody open carrying I stop what I'm doing and pay attention to other people in the vicinity to see if anyone else has noticed. I have never seen any indication that anybody else noticed and certainly did not notice and fly into a raging panic. 

There is one breakfast cafe I frequent where some of the older fellas there usually carry revolvers, many of them single action guns. Most of these guys are wearing Vietnam Veteran ball caps and each one of these guys absolutely looks like a no BS type of guy that nobody would want to mess who is simply wanting to enjoy breakfast with his wife or friends but not taking any part of a sheeple- victim mentality. And the place serves pretty darned good food.:D

35 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Without expounding politically too much, I know one extremely liberal individual who only owns dreaded "assault" rifles but does not want anyone else to own them. Go figure. It's the elitist "do as I say and not as I do" attitude. 

When you said that I immediately though of actor Sean Penn. A huge anti-gun celebrity for many years, but when he married his most recent ex he claimed to give up his guns for her. They included a plethora of so-called "assault weapons". Of course he also has a NYC carry permit so I doubt he gave them ALL up.

Now...  When I'm in the great outdoors as in the Rocky Mountains I open carry with no hesitation.  It's easier not to worry about concealing a large bore revolver while in the high country.

42 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

When you said that I immediately though of actor Sean Penn. A huge anti-gun celebrity for many years, but when he married his most recent ex he claimed to give up his guns for her. They included a plethora of so-called "assault weapons". Of course he also has a NYC carry permit so I doubt he gave them ALL up.

When you said Sean Penn that explained everything before you said it.:angry:

9 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I got a good pard, cowboy shooter, concealed carry guy, NRA member and I was surprised at his reaction to a discussion we had about OPEN CARRY. He stated that if he saw someone open carrying he would call the police! Mind you now, Ohio has had OPEN CARRY since the 1850's!!! It's perfectly legal to do it here! I was shocked that he was so against it! I asked why would you call the police on someone when he's not breaking any law? He said that anyone that carried openly needs mental evaluation!! :blink:

Thoughts??

Rye

Tell him good luck with reporting legal activity to the po-po. :lol:

So I guess he thinks police & sheriffs in uniform need 'mental evaluation' then. :rolleyes:

OLG

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Someone like that is likely as sociopath, you should watch out for them.  Thinking laws don't apply to them is one of the early signs. 

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Tell him good luck with reporting legal activity to the po-po. :lol:

So I guess he thinks police & sheriffs in uniform need 'mental evaluation' then. :rolleyes:

OLG

I remember a story from years ago about what it took for a cop in england to be armed.  The brit who wrote the article expressed the opinion that the entire vetting process was garbage because any cop who WANTED to carry a gun should be disallowed from it because they had clear and frightening mental issues. 

I've been open carrying for almost a year in the small Texas town where we bought a house last year. Actually very few comments about it. All but one positive or neutral. Negative comment last week at a restaurant. Doofus asked if I was afraid someone was going to shoot me. I told him NO. Didn't bother to say I was worried someone might TRY. Or that I was almost certainly a better shooter than any criminal out there. 

Missouri has allowed open and concealed carry without permit since 2017:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Missouri#Summary_table

To the original question,  open carry draws attention.  I prefer to be anonymous in public.  Those who carry openly draw attention away from me, bless ‘em.

Arizona is a Constitutional carry state. I usually carry a polished stainless RNM Vaquero on my Cowboy gunbelt when I'm out and about. I usually get complimented on my "look". Last weekend at WalMart, a couple ladies from California took my picture! 

I've had several times where the mere sight of my gun caused somebody I'm pretty sure was up to No Good to flee.

I open carry. Meaning I don't try to conceal it. I don't flaunt it however. Usually my tshirt is over the butt of my revolver if I think about it. That's just it, I don't think about it that much. The reason I don't try to conceal it is for the opportunistic azzhole. If it makes them think twice about trying to do me or a loved one or even stranger harm, it can save me from a lawsuit. I am of the mindset, if you give someone a black eye they've got a black eye for a week. If you break both of their arms, they cant wipe their butt for 6 weeks. If them seeing my gun keeps me out of trouble, I am all for it.

13 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Probably Alaska.

Best

CR

Arizona, for one.  I carry concealed all the time and have guns in my car as well.  The only time I carry openly is when I'm in the field, which is very rarely.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Arizona, for one.  I carry concealed all the time and have guns in my car as well.  The only time I carry openly is when I'm in the field, which is very rarely.

New Mexico used to be, maybe not since the D*moncr@ts control it now. I live in a small Texas town and work in another, and VERY rarely see it. I'm not a fan, mostly because I consider it a tactical error. Texas is working on Constitutional carry, but not there yet. Our carry license is quite stringent. I always carry concealed. Just me.

JHC

Archived