SASS Wire Forum

Why do you shoot Classic Cowboy?

3 hours ago, Big Six Henderson #16594 said:

I shoot CC for all the above mentioned reasons.

And, anybody can shoot Two-Handed. ( Pun intended )

That’s not true. I can’t. At least with a single action. If all feels weird trying to hold it that way. I’ll stick to one handed. Or at least one in each hand

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

That’s not true. I can’t. At least with a single action. If all feels weird trying to hold it that way. I’ll stick to one handed. 

Talk about feeling weird. I shoot Old Model Vaquero Bisleys, and they really feel weird to me to shoot two handed...

6 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

Talk about feeling weird. I shoot Old Model Vaquero Bisleys, and they really feel weird to me to shoot two handed...

Agree. OMV Bisleys were made to shoot one handed, IMO. I've found them to be perfect for this game as well as general single action revolver shooting

I know one fella who shoots his OMV Bisleys two handed and does well but he's got pretty small hands to begin with but he don't matter none since he ain't shootin' CC. ;)

A buddy of mine's hands are so screwed up that he has to shoot two-handed. He has old model Bisleys and does really well with them, but I don't see how he does it...

I prefer shooting Classic, but I have trouble dealing with warm/hot weather.

I switch to Senior Duelist and wear fewer CC mandated stuff and a white straw Stetson when the heat starts to get to me., but I still use my CC mandated shootin' irons.

DSCN1693_zpscluc2do3.jpg

Years ago for style points I would shoot one hog leg (10 inch barrel) in the left hand  and a Schofield in the right hand.

Never cared  for two handed shooting and thumbing the hammer like a barbarian. Looked around and since I had .45’s already I switched shotgun to a TTN years ago. Had most of the clothing already. Classic Cowboys are keeping the faith.

16 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Agree. OMV Bisleys were made to shoot one handed, IMO. I've found them to be perfect for this game as well as general single action revolver shooting

I know one fella who shoots his OMV Bisleys two handed and does well but he's got pretty small hands to begin with but he don't matter none since he ain't shootin' CC. ;)

Bisley grips don't work for me shooting duelist, my hands are too small.

1 minute ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Bisley grips don't work for me shooting duelist, my hands are too small.

That's what I thought until today. I shot @Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 's short stroked Bisleys with eagle gunfighter grips and they were dang awesome.

OK, you fellas convinced me. I've shot 45's the entire time I've been in SASS, primarily in GF category. I use traditional leather gear for my 1858 Remmies and shoot a hammered double all the time now. I have all of the required clothing and arms, so this year, I'm officially switching to Classic Cowboy to see what it's all about. Gonna be a ltiile warm wearin' all that stuff in the Texas heat this summer, but hey - maybe I'll lose a couple of pounds....:P

7 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

OK, you fellas convinced me. I've shot 45's the entire time I've been in SASS, primarily in GF category. I use traditional leather gear for my 1858 Remmies and shoot a hammered double all the time now. I have all of the required clothing and arms, so this year, I'm officially switching to Classic Cowboy to see what it's all about. Gonna be a ltiile warm wearin' all that stuff in the Texas heat this summer, but hey - maybe I'll lose a couple of pounds....:P

It's about time WW!!! You will make a great Classic Cowboy.

Nawlins

13 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

Welcome to the best category in SASS!

19 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Well Heck .....  I shoot Cap Gun Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter.  That Count??  Sorta??  Maybe??

Nope, sorry. Can't have a gun in each hand shootin' CC...

'Course if you could talk yourself inta puttin' one of 'em away, then we might consider it... :D

Coffinmaker wunt know what ta do with only one gun in his hand. Why.... he'd feel downright nekkid.

He do dress purty.... I'll give him that.

On 4/5/2019 at 5:34 AM, Nawlins Kid said:

It's about time WW!!! You will make a great Classic Cowboy.

Nawlins

Thanks, Nawlins. I've always shot 45's (and always will), and I like shooting my hammered double; even though they both put me at a disadvantage in my current category. Hey, it's about the cool toys and the fun anyway, right? CC just seems the logical thing for me to do right now. I'm looking forward to having even more fun this season!

1 minute ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

Thanks, Nawlins. I've always shot 45's (and always will), and I like shooting my hammered double; even though they both put me at a disadvantage in my current category. Hey, it's about the cool toys and the fun anyway, right? CC just seems the logical thing for me to do right now. I'm looking forward to having even more fun this season!

Glad to hear, will you be coming up this year?

5 minutes ago, Nawlins Kid said:

Glad to hear, will you be coming up this year?

Probably not-got too much going on here this summer with relatives coming to visit, among other things. A trip up to the PRNY may be in the offing next year though.

Please give everyone at the Long Riders my best. I'll send you pix when they kill enough cattle to make me a set of chaps....:lol:

On 4/2/2019 at 5:03 PM, Big Six Henderson #16594 said:

I shoot CC for all the above mentioned reasons.

And, anybody can shoot Two-Handed. ( Pun intended )

A one-armed gent can't...

I don't shoot CC because I can't beat T-Bone.  (The fact that I can't beat T-Bone in any other category is immaterial to my argument)! :ph34r:

Cause Classic is Coolest! I’ve shot 45’s since I started in SASS. When I finally picked up a hammered double, it felt like I was where I belonged. Besides, if I didn’t wear chaps, my gun belt would fall down!

And nobody beats T-Bone, yet...

GW

2 minutes ago, GW Ryder, SASS #50690 said:

Cause Classic is Coolest! I’ve shot 45’s since I started in SASS. When I finally picked up a hammered double, it felt like I was where I belonged. Besides, if I didn’t wear chaps, my gun belt would fall down!

And nobody beats T-Bone, yet...

GW

Uh...look at EOT 2018

:P

We shoot the sport of “Cowboy Action Shooting”.  Nothing represents the essence of our sport more than “Classic Cowboy” (B-Western notwithstanding).  To me, the “Cowboy” in this sport is that Civil war vet who, after the war went west to find a new life with his only possessions on his back or in his saddlebags and found work dragging trail on the Goodnight-Loving Trail and then later on the Chisholm Trail.  He is the ranch hand that “Rode for the brand” for the cattle baron who had a big ranch and a good herd.  Classic Cowboy is an homage to those hard men who led a hardscrabble life on the back of a horse for twenty five dollars a month and found.  You could say that Classic Cowboy is a way for those few short hours on weekends to live vicariously, the lives of those characters in the novels of Luke Short, Max Brand, Louis L’Amour, and others.

In shooting “Classic Cowboy” we respect the notion of some of the above reasons and choose a more difficult path in our game by wearing those heavy pair of chaps, putting on those Lindholm spurs, finding your Grandfather’s pocket watch and putting it in your vest, wearing the suspenders, wild rag, and getting the big knife.  Then we’ll shoot the big bore because a real cowboy wouldn’t be caught in public with a .38.  And because we love a challenge, we’ll do it one handed to boot.  Just to see if we can keep up with you.  We’ll do it in the summertime; we’ll do it in the wintertime, because that’s what they did.

But after shooting “Classic Cowboy” for a number of years, I probably found that the best reward, was not only the afore mentioned points, but it is the camaraderie and respect that develops over time with fellow shooters of the “Classic Cowboy” category.

6 minutes ago, Boothill Bandit, SASS# 48598 said:

We shoot the sport of “Cowboy Action Shooting”.  Nothing represents the essence of our sport more than “Classic Cowboy” (B-Western notwithstanding).  To me, the “Cowboy” in this sport is that Civil war vet who, after the war went west to find a new life with his only possessions on his back or in his saddlebags and found work dragging trail on the Goodnight-Loving Trail and then later on the Chisholm Trail.  He is the ranch hand that “Rode for the brand” for the cattle baron who had a big ranch and a good herd.  Classic Cowboy is an homage to those hard men who led a hardscrabble life on the back of a horse for twenty five dollars a month and found.  You could say that Classic Cowboy is a way for those few short hours on weekends to live vicariously, the lives of those characters in the novels of Luke Short, Max Brand, Louis L’Amour, and others.

In shooting “Classic Cowboy” we respect the notion of some of the above reasons and choose a more difficult path in our game by wearing those heavy pair of chaps, putting on those Lindholm spurs, finding your Grandfather’s pocket watch and putting it in your vest, wearing the suspenders, wild rag, and getting the big knife.  Then we’ll shoot the big bore because a real cowboy wouldn’t be caught in public with a .38.  And because we love a challenge, we’ll do it one handed to boot.  Just to see if we can keep up with you.  We’ll do it in the summertime; we’ll do it in the wintertime, because that’s what they did.

But after shooting “Classic Cowboy” for a number of years, I probably found that the best reward, was not only the afore mentioned points, but it is the camaraderie and respect that develops over time with fellow shooters of the “Classic Cowboy” category.

uhhh...yeah but...they also shot BP.

:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Boothill Bandit, SASS# 48598 said:

Yeah, and they cauterized wounds with a branding iron.  What's your point?

Wow...here we go.

I simply was adding to the description that was given...and simply added that those of that era shot BP.

So what's your point?

Phantom

PS: Looks like your SG belt is riding a bit high:P

... and we don't, unless we want to.  And because it's not NCOWS, nor a requirement.  But feel free to petition for a Black Powder Classic Cowboy category if you want to jump in. But there's plenty of Classic Cowboy that do shoot black because that's what they did.

2 hours ago, Boothill Bandit, SASS# 48598 said:

... and we don't, unless we want to.  And because it's not NCOWS, nor a requirement.  But feel free to petition for a Black Powder Classic Cowboy category if you want to jump in. But there's plenty of Classic Cowboy that do shoot black because that's what they did.

I don't care whether one shoots BP in CC or not ... Really couldn't care less. I was just adding a little comment about the post Civil War cowboy commentary.

Don't make this into something it isn't... Please...

Phantom

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I don't care whether one shots BP in CC or not ... Really couldn't care less. I was just adding a little comment about the post Civil War cowboy commentary.

Don't make this into something it isn't... Please...

Phantom

OK, then perhaps you should work on your delivery.  It comes off very well as sarcasm.

Been shooting classic since before it became a class.I believe I was the first in our area to get a 73.& a Rossi hammered.Been having a great time since I started in 97.

If they came out with a BP classic I would shoot it.

Largo

7 hours ago, Duster Tom said:

Is the the point where we asked for a "Senior Classic Cowboy" class? :D

May  not be necessary. I don't see too many of the younger set going for the .45's and etc. Most of 'em want to shoot .38's and go real fast... :D

7 hours ago, Duster Tom said:

Is the the point where we asked for a "Senior Classic Cowboy" class? :D

I am probably one of the youngest in Classic Cowboy... And I struggle to beat you seniors!  So come on give me a chance before you have your own category :P.  I look up to alot of you... so don't be switching on me yet.

I am hoping to start shooting CC next year.  I just don't have the guns for it right now and can't afford to buy four more cowboy guns all at once.  All I need to make my current clothes meet CC standards is a set of sleeve garters and they cost a whole lot less than four Old West firearms. 

I even have an old family pocket watch - but I don't have a chain for it. 

Archived